First timer's restoration.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dark Joker
MMOC Member: No

First timer's restoration.

Post by Dark Joker »

Hello one and all,
Being new to anything like car restoration and always having a soft spot, probably in my head, for the Morris Minor I thought that I would throw caution to the wind and purchase myself one to restore. So after a few unsuccessful attempts I managed to purchase one upon the dreaded Ebay and she came home this Saturday gone. She appears to be the sorry victim of wanton neglect and cruelty and is a shadow of her former self. Has this rotund Welshman bitten off more than he can chew? time will indeed tell. Perhaps the restoration will be a short and sorry story but, perhaps, with advice from your good selves maybe the journey will be a long saga of success and another Moggie back on the road.
So here is a picture of my 1967 1098 Morris Minor saloon, gawd help me![frame]Image[/frame]
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Re: First timer's restoration.

Post by Redmoggy »

Take small bites and it will work out just fine. If you can not yet wield a MIG torch, book yourself a course at the local tech. Chances are you will need it.

Regards
Rod
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Looks a good project :) Just don't give up as you will feel like it sometimes .I was working near Coedpoeth just near the hospital
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Nice project. Keep us updated! We like lots of pictures! Im doing a traveller tho its quite a project.

Steve
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Good luck. Plenty of advice on here!
John

Bertie.
qwertyhenry
Minor Friendly

Post by qwertyhenry »

small steps and u get there in the end .
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

qwertyhenry wrote:small steps and u get there in the end .

just like the poor postie in the photo :-?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Looks like a lot of welding has already been done - rear 1/4 panel (behind driver's door) in red primer etc. Good project to start on. Welcome to Morris World! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Samuelfraz
Minor Friendly

Post by Samuelfraz »

I am also restoring my first Morris. Seems to be great simple cars to work on and there is so many parts readily available. Good luck With the project and look forward to seeing your progress.
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Good luck! I second the tip about a weld course, I did a ten week one at the local college, it was worth every penny and has helped hugely.

I find making lists in categories easiest e.g. Bodywork, Engine, Ancilliaries, Interior, Misc.

Pick one item off the list and work on it until you can physically tick it off and the satisfaction of doing that helps keep you going through the hard times.

Save the jobs you enjoy doing for when the ones you don't enjoy start to feel like too much, me, I enjoy cleaning and restoring my carb when the door repair feels too much.

Each to their own, we all work differently, just remember this forum is incredible for all advice and nearly every member has enough patience for all questions, never fear a question may be too simple or too stupid, everybody started somewhere.

Most of all, enjoy every second.

Good luck!

Edd
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.
Dark Joker

Post by Dark Joker »

Thank you for your comments, I guess a deep breath is required afore this project takes off!
Alan B
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan B »

Enjoy what you are planning, it will be worth it.
If you feel tired or frustrated walk away and come back refreshed.
My first restoration took 3 years but enjoyed every minute.
I'm in Llangollen, if you want to get together.
Alan

sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

[quote="Dark Joker"]Hello one and all,
Being new to anything like car restoration and always having a soft spot, probably in my head, for the Morris Minor I thought that I would throw caution to the wind and purchase myself one to restore. So after a few unsuccessful attempts I managed to purchase one upon the dreaded Ebay and she came home this Saturday gone. She appears to be the sorry victim of wanton neglect and cruelty and is a shadow of her former self. Has this rotund Welshman bitten off more than he can chew? time will indeed tell. Perhaps the restoration will be a short and sorry story but, perhaps, with advice from your good selves maybe the journey will be a long saga of success and another Moggie back on the road.
So here is a picture of my 1967 1098 Morris Minor saloon, gawd help me![frame]Image[/frame][/quote

that schoolgirl appears to be sniggering at your car :x :wink:

good luck with the resto.
BAS587
Minor Friendly

Post by BAS587 »

Hi, just spotted this post & to let you know I am only about half an hour away from you, so if you need any help maybe we could pool our wisdom :)

Brian
Chris Williams
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris Williams »

Would anyone off this page be interested in re-starting the local branch?If so message me and I will apply to the club to get the North Wales branch up and running!
Dark Joker

Post by Dark Joker »

Chris Williams wrote:Would anyone off this page be interested in re-starting the local branch?If so message me and I will apply to the club to get the North Wales branch up and running!
Hi Chris,
Have replied to your pm my good man.
J
Dark Joker

Post by Dark Joker »

BAS587 wrote:Hi, just spotted this post & to let you know I am only about half an hour away from you, so if you need any help maybe we could pool our wisdom :)

Brian
Hello Brian,

M'thinks that sounds like a plan, from where do you hail my good man?

J
Chris Williams
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris Williams »

Hello!
I live in Dyserth (next village from Prestatyn) and am open for suggestions as to where we should have our monthly meet??