The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Post by MoggyBlue »

Heya Mike
Thanks for the advice would it suprise you the other side is 95% perfect just all needs stripping and small square of wood (2 cm x 2cm) replacing at the bottom of the arch at the rear where a screw has split the wood in the past.
My plan is to do it all properly but to the best my budget can go. I'll be keeping the good side but refinishing it with cupriol 5 star aswell along with everything else and finishing with sikkens (sorry panky). I have bought a complete passenger side second hand but solid and good condition just needs rear post. Also will be replacing the bottom across the bottom of the doors and also have two rear doors again solid and great condition.
All wood I haven't got that needs replacing will all be bought from woodies.
I would have the car off the road for about 5 years if I was to try replace the wood all new so I'm going to the next best option.
Don't worry I work in classic car restoration and will be doing it properly with all new bolts, seals, gutters etc :) just sit back, relax and just be glad your got doing it :lol:

Jordan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Nowt wrong with Sikkens , just down to personal preference :) Had I not been steered towards Osmo Oil I probably would have used it too
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Well the plan is ill be obviously treating with 5 star then sikkens pine then if over time I decide it's not for me or when I replace all the wood for new then I may do osmo :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

So this weekend I got the other side off. So much easier than the passenger side all bolts came off without problems :lol:[frame]Image[/frame]

So once it was off again there was no scary sights nothing I wasn't really expecting. All the rot in the pictures are all there is. Not bad really. Oddly the floor for the foot rail was not welded in at all so will get that done in when everything else is done.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Gave the back a clean of the rubbish not looking bad at all. Once welding is done it all all be hammerited.[frame]Image[/frame]

Wood inspected and all seems good all joins inspected and have decided to replace the rear of the arch that needed the bottom anyway due to a bit of dry rot just starting to come through.[frame]Image[/frame]

Back of the side also good now all cleaned with sealant etc off(not pictured) and looking lovely.[frame]Image[/frame]

Also got rear doors out of storage and inspected very lovely condition. One door was stripped by previous owner. Not bad for £26 for the pair :wink:[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

The piece under the foot rail is not welded on it just screws to the bottom of the foot rail to close the gap between the wood and the floor if my memory serves me well
Ian

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

That's right and it is very useful to be able to remove this panel for cleaning and waxing. When you remove it you will be surprised how much dirt and water gets in there! That's why the bottom of the box section chassis rail has rotted away!

I know some people weld these in place, but I would highly recommend against it.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Thanks guys I always thought they were welded in. The other side was badly welded in so will get that off and screw it in like it should be :D

Is there anything else in the welding pictures that look out of place just saving trouble later on

Thanks
Jordan
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Time for the latest update :)

So, been busy getting on with the wood that I have whilst searching for a passenger side.
Been stripping the drivers side wood and loosen the screws ready for the repair section for the rear arch and for the joins I will be rejoining.
After many hours and two days of stripping it's finally back to the wood. Will bleach, sand and treat once the section is fitted.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Oooo, just look at that grain[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Also got a new section that sits under the rear doors for a very good price thanks Gilesv and co :)[frame]Image[/frame]

Just waiting for some wood I have bought and will see what I need from woodies minus the passenger side and start stripping the doors down ready for treating :)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

So last weekend I forgot to post :oops:
I made a start on the doors and started stripping the dark one and getting them up to scratch ready for the cuprinol.
So when I started stripping the varnish off the door I was greated with very ugly wood :([frame]Image[/frame]
I then gave it a sand back with 80grit and does look better but still want it lighter so been using the cheap trick of lemons but it's still not light enough so will give it another sand and hope for the best.[frame]Image[/frame]

I decided to do nothing to the other door as it has been done by the previous owner of the doors and is as light as I'd want it[frame]Image[/frame]

Whilst giving the doors a sand back and lemoning. I took the drivers side appart as i want to rejoin them. Whilst appart I sanded them back and give them some lemon to and happy with how they are.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Have been told my friends welder is now available so we will be getting on with the small bits of welding within the next few weeks as this weekend will be raining :( :roll:
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Moggy you can get wood bleach which gets it lighter if you have problems
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

irmscher wrote:Moggy you can get wood bleach which gets it lighter if you have problems
Thanks. I tried lemons and they worked well but in two minds at the moment weather to replace the drivers side as well so it doesn't look so odd one side :) she's coming along nicely though. Passenger side is being made at woodies, rear doors ready for top coat and getting on with the welding (hence no updates) can't wait for her to be back on the road
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Interesting thread for me, this, since it's practically identical to my 1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller Deluxe, and seeing that you're going through the same sort of work I've had to do with mine over the years. :)

Oxalic acid is the most effective way to bleach stains out of the wood - available from most yacht chandlers.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Chipper wrote:Interesting thread for me, this, since it's practically identical to my 1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller Deluxe, and seeing that you're going through the same sort of work I've had to do with mine over the years. :)

Oxalic acid is the most effective way to bleach stains out of the wood - available from most yacht chandlers.
Glad to see I'm not alone ;)
Thanks all wood is bleached I have decided I'll be replacing the drivers side so just waiting for the wood to be made etc until then just finishing up the welding :) she won't be painted in trafalgar blue though will get the rear half painted now and the front will be done when time and funds come