The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gilesv
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Post by Gilesv »

panky wrote:The side panels and window runners are sealed to the woodwork with Dum-dum, a black putty like material. I used black Tigerseal instead as it's easier to get hold of.
Agree with getting it running first so you can have a bit of fun, then wait for the summer to do the wood - hopefully it will be warm sunny and dry 8)
Tiger Seal solved all the water problems in my Traveller. I have another Traveller with all the glass out at the moment if you want to look - it's near Horton Heath. PM me if interested.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:The side panels and window runners are sealed to the woodwork with Dum-dum, a black putty like material. I used black Tigerseal instead as it's easier to get hold of.
Agree with getting it running first so you can have a bit of fun, then wait for the summer to do the wood - hopefully it will be warm sunny and dry 8)
Oh right ok well that may be on the list of possible problems then as I took off the inner wood trim when inspecting the join rot to find the rear sliding window fell out :lol: ok thanks ill add that to the parts list ;)
And yeah think I may wait for summer hopefully it will pass it's mot then as that comes round in march
Yeah well we do live in Britain isn't it always sunny and dry :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Gilesv wrote:Tiger Seal solved all the water problems in my Traveller. I have another Traveller with all the glass out at the moment if you want to look - it's near Horton Heath. PM me if interested.
Haha ah may have to be high on my list then :lol: and oh that would be great :) which colour is your traveller I may have seen you darting about ;)
My traveller is not a driver just yet though sadly as she needs the engine fitting but I can come in Norma :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
Gilesv
Minor Friendly

Post by Gilesv »

MoggyBlue wrote:
Gilesv wrote:Tiger Seal solved all the water problems in my Traveller. I have another Traveller with all the glass out at the moment if you want to look - it's near Horton Heath. PM me if interested.
Haha ah may have to be high on my list then :lol: and oh that would be great :) which colour is your traveller I may have seen you darting about ;)
My traveller is not a driver just yet though sadly as she needs the engine fitting but I can come in Norma :)

My traveller that has been treated to Tiger Seal is the same age and colour as yours. The one being worked on is a 67 Rose Taupe one. The Tiger Seal would at least keep the water out - it's not cheap stuff, but I've found it to be considerably cheaper on ebay. It does have a limited shelf life even if it's not opened. You will need a very strong mastic gun too because the cheap ones will break very quickly.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Oh really I may have seen you once or twice but not as much as a few minors around us :lol: and yeah may be worth doing but would that not block up drain holes? And haha thanks for the heads up ;) but no I'd love to come and pop over :) may make me realise a few other issues :lol:
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

New rear door handle fitted and working well
I prefure it locked downwards and when unlocked it's to the left so the handle is over the join
No idea If this is the way it should be but hay ;)

After alot of heat the old handle didn't move an inch :( so out came the drill.... still no luck so out came the hacksaw down between the door and locking mechanism on the inside and out came the handle. I cleaned the square hole up and covered the new one in copper grease :)
The car is now secure finally[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

It's new update time :D
And a very exciting update I have spent today getting the front end off and some connections disconnected ready for next weekend for the new engine to go in
The wiring is an absolute mess as with the whole car so part of me is tempted with a new or second hand good loom.
But I will have to look into it.
Here are a few piccys for you ;)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

I also will be replacing the front grill and housing as I'd be an idiot to put this one back on there ;)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Also after draining oil and coolant I'd love to get some people's views on the coolant that's come out, I'm pretty certain it's tea :lol:[frame]Image[/frame]

Overall it's been a productive day for me and really can't wait to have her driving properly :D
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

No sugar in mine :)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:No sugar in mine :)
Well that's alright then I have a few litres of it just for you then ;)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Mmmm lovely :D
Looks like typical coolant minus anti-freeze, just make sure you replace it with some proper blue stuff.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:Mmmm lovely :D
Looks like typical coolant minus anti-freeze, just make sure you replace it with some proper blue stuff.
Haha Yeah I prefure my judgment though ;)
And yeah I was going to put a little bit of anti freeze in and test the engine driving around for a couple of weeks and if it's good it will have a full engine flush,complete hose replacement, full on service etc I wouldn't mind painting it up but I may do it later on :)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

It's a BIG BIG BIG update today :D
The new engine has been fitted and all fixing bolts are in. I'll be spending Monday or Tuesday connecting everything up, tighten everything up and hopefully attempt to get it running :)
Getting it out was... interesting and felt like sealant has been put on to seal the engine to gearbox and the top gearbox pin was also stuck :( but it came out very easy once separated.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Thankfully a friend was driving passed and helped fit the engine THANKS PATRICK :lol: and now is all in place ready to get connected up :)

new engine fitted[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Hopefully everything will be connected and running by Tuesday :D can't wait!!!!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Excellent :D
Stick some oil in and see if it will fire up, wont do any harm for a few seconds without coolant.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I don't want to put a damper on things but did you check the state of the clutch before you put the replacement engine in?
If it's still removable now might be a good time to renew it, if it looks iffy, before you put everything back together and find you haven't got one..............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:Excellent :D
Stick some oil in and see if it will fire up, wont do any harm for a few seconds without coolant.
Haha yeah the oil that was in there seems pretty clean aswell but sadly it's all contaminated with paraffin so will drain it and refill then maybe after a few hundred miles ill renew the oil again and hmm yeah I did wonder that :lol:
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,
I don't want to put a damper on things but did you check the state of the clutch before you put the replacement engine in?
If it's still removable now might be a good time to renew it, if it looks iffy, before you put everything back together and find you haven't got one..............
Best wishes,
Mike.
Oops I forgot.... :-?

Only joking ;) don't worry took it off and it had loads of meat left just cleaned the faces up and put it all back together :) also used the spare gearbox to check it was properly liked up ;)
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Looks like you are well on the ball here matey, I've been following this with great interest.
Good luck, hope the engine is a good un :D
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

The vast minority wrote:Looks like you are well on the ball here matey, I've been following this with great interest.
Good luck, hope the engine is a good un :D
Thanks :) really appriciated, yeah so badly wanting to drive her :lol: But things are coming along very nicely :) everyone can't believe the amount of work I have got with her and they don't think I'd be able to do it but I'm obviously proving them wrong ;)

Next job once the engine is running and driving will be overhauling the whole interior hopefully by then I wil have also found a good set of seats :)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Hey everyone I have a really exciting update for everyone ;) new engine has been connected up with a new alternator conversion etc.
With help from a friend and 2 weekends of work. SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!
My only issues now is
1. Oil pressure light does not work. Seems to be a fault in the loom or with the switch but as the light never worked with the old engine ill be giving the wiring a look
2. I have a slight bit of smoking coming from the rear of the manifold area I'm wondering if that's just the manifold itself or if there is a slight leak coming from the join. But it's nothing to major
3. I have a small leak from my water hose connection but seems as if the clip has twisted up whilst tighten so leaving it till I do a full flush of the system and sort it also a small leak from the oil filter housing but again I plan on getting the spin off conversion when ready
But other than that it does seem to be running sweet :) I've gone into 1st and reverse and move slightly and she moves under her own steam to :)[frame]Image[/frame]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Excellent :D Smoke is probably just oily hand prints burning off, and check the dash bulb on the oil pressure system first - it might be a simple as that. Well done that man :)