The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Post by MoggyBlue »

Heya guys So I've only gone and done it and bought myself my first traveller. I love her to bits. The underside is completely solid and the wood is acceptable.
But before i go into details of what needs doing here's a picture of the old girl from the journey home and sadly only made it 0.7miles and broke down.[frame]Image[/frame]
Never a good start to a long term relationship but hopefully she will come round again.
She broke down due to dynamo not charging and battery died. With a jump start she fired up to life but with the white smoke and strong smell of burnt oil flying out the back, the aa man wasn't letting me on my way thankfully. You see, I bought her with an engine rattle over 40mph so I new of the smoke but whilst testing the dynamo I think he may have caused more problems :roll:

but she is now home and has met Norma and they seem to be getting on well together (no jeliousy which I was worried about) :lol:[frame]Image[/frame]

So now the jobs that need sorting. Her mot is due in march so want her motable by then. And hope to bring her to the nationals with me this year
jobs to do before mot
-So the engine needs sorting possibly rebuilt
-wipers don't work

jobs to do before nationals
-strip down wood and retreat with Cuprinol 5 star and osmo
-Fix leak in rear passenger footwear
- atleast tidy up interior and fix drivers seat

that is the bear minimum of what needs doing there's alot more but it's all cosmetic really
[frame]Image[/frame]
Has any one any ideas for the small swimming pool in my foot well? I have a few ideas but there is no signs of water coming in

Here are a few interior shots[frame]Image[/frame]
There are many things on her that really do just not make sense the indicator light being moved to here and bodged into the dash being one of them :cry:
I'll be eventually putting it back were it was and maybe filling it with something else as the hole has been made now[frame]Image[/frame]
what does everyone think of the paint job :lol:
it's achually a nice job on the exterior and I plan on keeping it for now till maybe the wood gets all replaced

[frame]Image[/frame]

Now the scariest area. The engine bay it has been badly brush painted all over with 3 horns fitted and only one working, washers, screws, wire and dirt just all lying around on the bottom.
The engine has also been painted black and will certainly be getting repainted at some point and lots of awful wiring

[frame]Image[/frame]

Currently waiting for an alternator conversion to arrive to then fit so the engine will start and therefore be able to do a compression test etc.

Hope you all enjoy the journey as much as I will can't wait to get to work
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
panky
Minor Legend

Re: The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Post by panky »

Well done on getting home safe, a good way of saving on petrol :D
Someone else had the same pond issue and it was suggested that it could be water leaking in through the roof seal and running down inside the B post ending up in the footwell. Or it could be blocked waist rail drains causing the window runners to overflow. Good luck with the work you have planned.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:Well done on getting home safe, a good way of saving on petrol :D
Someone else had the same pond issue and it was suggested that it could be water leaking in through the roof seal and running down inside the B post ending up in the footwell. Or it could be blocked waist rail drains causing the window runners to overflow. Good luck with the work you have planned.
Haha yeah just what I thought :lol:

Hmmm I did indeed that but also upon inspection the whole passenger side has no drain holes :cry:
So I thought I'd better look alot more into it and oooooo dear this is the rear end[frame]Image[/frame]
It looks like the wood trim inside is rotten and the upright is a little bit but the waist rail looks solid still but still. Also are the holes in the window rail ment to line up with the drain holes?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yuck that doesn't look good :-? There are channels routed into the rail under the runners but I would think they would soon block up if the holes in the runner and rail didn't match up fairly closely.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:Yuck that doesn't look good :-? There are channels routed into the rail under the runners but I would think they would soon block up if the holes in the runner and rail didn't match up fairly closely.
Hmm ok well looks to have had a replacement waist rail and does not have any drain holes I plan on hopefully waiting for a dry day then will take both windows out and will drill the drain holes then Cuprinol 5 in them.
Is it alright if the wood is still maybe a little wet? Or does that have to be bone dry before drilling the holes?

Once they are done I will start looking into sorting the rot out. The interior trim rail will need replacing. And the middle of the post will need repairing aswell. I saw a great thread of yours where you repaired the full join....... don't suppose you want to do mine ;) :lol:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I was rather proud of that repair as I'm used to spannering rather than whittling :) Still got a couple of little bits to do but I'll wait for summer (if it ever comes)
The drain holes should be there but might have been filled in for some reason but you can drill new ones any time but when it comes to properly treating the wood it should be dry- some Cuprinol down the holes is OK as it's water based anyway. I don't know if there's enough space to get a drill in from under the waist rail at the right angle (at least not with my drill) so taking the windows and runners out is probably required, but I think you may find a few horrors when you do - if the inside trim panels have rotted then it's pretty certain the rail behind it has too :cry:
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:I was rather proud of that repair as I'm used to spannering rather than whittling :) Still got a couple of little bits to do but I'll wait for summer (if it ever comes)
The drain holes should be there but might have been filled in for some reason but you can drill new ones any time but when it comes to properly treating the wood it should be dry- some Cuprinol down the holes is OK as it's water based anyway. I don't know if there's enough space to get a drill in from under the waist rail at the right angle (at least not with my drill) so taking the windows and runners out is probably required, but I think you may find a few horrors when you do - if the inside trim panels have rotted then it's pretty certain the rail behind it has too :cry:
Well so you should be it's a lovely repair haha
and yeah I need the summer right now :lol:
And ok thanks so I can Cuprinol the hole without being bone dry?
And don't worry I plan on taking the windows out
and I have already had the rear window out and it just looks like it's been done a year ago maybe but just not done properly
From looking under the rail there is no evidence of a hole [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Looks like you're bricking up the windows....well,not really.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

SteveClem wrote:Looks like you're bricking up the windows....well,not really.
Well you have to stop the leaks somehow ;) :lol:
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Just for now I would invest in an inexpensive cover for the car to save any more water getting in. This will also mean you can remove side windows to work. Make sure it has some form of tie to go under the car otherwise it will blow off.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Preferably a breathable one which will allow the wood to dry out too.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Hmmm I was thinking maybe a cover could be worth getting. But wasn't sure if a cover would be good for the wood or not was even tempted To buy a gazebo or something so I can get work done aswell ;)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Plastic is no good as it will seal any moisture in and stick to the paint. A breathable one is the way to go, as it will keep the rain out while allowing the car to dry out, but more expensive.
Try keeping an eye out for a cheap Gala tent, that would be ideal for your needs.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

panky wrote:Plastic is no good as it will seal any moisture in and stick to the paint. A breathable one is the way to go, as it will keep the rain out while allowing the car to dry out, but more expensive.
Try keeping an eye out for a cheap Gala tent, that would be ideal for your needs.
Ah ok thanks ill keep my eye out for one. I have a storm force cover for Norma but don't really use it as she is always on the move :lol:
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

So just a quick update
Today was a little productive on Ona.
- Drivers door now opening(suddenly decided the other day it wanted to be a wall)
- New draught excludes fitted (old ones were falling off and not doing their job in any way possible)
- Attempted to get the rear handle off but rusted in will be attempting it again tomorrow
Tomorrow I plan on
- getting the wipers working
- clearing the paint off the vin plate
- getting the rear door handle sorted
- and hopefully taking a trip to b and q for some Cuprinol 5 star and osmo . Any recommendations on litres and colours? I'll do a quick bit of research in the morning
She's coming along nicely found a lovely engine at work been stored there for years and wanted to get rid of it so I was more than happy to take it off their hands ;) we opened it up and it looks pretty much new in there so hopefully will be a lovely runner :) coming along nicely I see the national as a possibility at the moment ;)[frame]Image[/frame]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Stroke of luck with the engine :D
I don't think you'll get Osmo from B&Q, I did a lot of searching and got it from here, the cheapest I could find.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331291131514? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The .75 litre clear 420 is plenty and I had enough left to do my driveway gates :)
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Oh it was :D just waiting for the boss to come back from his holiday to be certain I can have it. My other boss has said he's happy for me to have it for free ;) but we shall see

Ahhh really? That's a shame and oh right thank you :)
How much 5 star would you recommend?
I'm tempted to take the rear windows out and do it all on the inside wood as well.
Would it be worth replacing all the rot before I retreat it i just I have a feeling I'd be better off replacing the whole rear post, inside panel and then the small rotten section at the rear of the arch
But at this moment in time I just want the engine fitted and driving her :lol:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Definitely strip everything, cut the rot out and replace first otherwise you will need to do it all again. I stripped the wood then gave it three applications of Cuprinol letting it dry for a day between coats. It's like water and soaks into the wood so don't be shy about slapping it on, and make sure the brush is clean otherwise it will make the wood look dirty. I left it for another couple of days to dry thoroughly then used the Osmo, I found using a soft cloth rolled into a pad was the best way of applying the Osmo, just using a brush to get into the corners then a second coat 24 hours later. I was in a dry garage and it was fairly warm so expect things to take longer to dry this time of year.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Ah ok thought that might be best option haha would there be anything more needed when fitting new wood? Any seals recommended I will be buying the traveller book from esm so hopefully that will help me with most of it :)
Ah ok thanks for the guidence and yeah I may sort the wood out once the engine is sorted and ill drive it to work and do it there or a friends garage :)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The side panels and window runners are sealed to the woodwork with Dum-dum, a black putty like material. I used black Tigerseal instead as it's easier to get hold of.
Agree with getting it running first so you can have a bit of fun, then wait for the summer to do the wood - hopefully it will be warm sunny and dry 8)