ex army traveller

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
hallibag
MMOC Member: No

ex army traveller

Post by hallibag »

hi just a newbie on here just bought a ex army traveller knew it was bad when I saw her but thought I would give it a go it was me or the scrap yard on getting it on the ramps I think it would have been better there? but I hate to see things going to the scrapies!!!! about the best bits are the plates
question ?????
can you /or is it feasible to get a new chassis and do a rebuild from that ?
do you need jigs etc?
not in a hurry to get her done just would like to save the old girl
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: ex army traveller

Post by les »

There is no chassis as such, the bodyshell is a stressed member, there are two box sections at the front that can be replaced, by welding into place, the rest of the underside can have its floor repaired with repo panels.

hallibag

Post by hallibag »

there is just nothing left at the rear end from the front hanger area both are through the floor ?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You need to get a parts diagram, or go to the ESM minors web site and look at that area, then decide what you need and go from there.

hallibag

Post by hallibag »

ok going to strip the back down to see what its like from the top and go from there
some one has already had a go at the floor cut it out and part wielded it bit of a botch job time will tell
thanks karl
Gilesv
Minor Friendly

Post by Gilesv »

Take a look at this, by Neil MG, he covered virtually every repair - we all like pictures on here, so, if possible put some on here, you should get plenty of responses!

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48882
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

If it is totally rotten, then I suggest you keep the car in one piece until you can get it braced up. I left the wood in place on mine to help hold things in shape until the last moment. I also braced the door apertures before cutting or removing anything.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

That said, in answer to the initial question, you could possibly save time and money by buying another better traveller as a donor. The problem is finding one! I would not recommend one that has been "repaired" too much already, as that will all need to be redone if you want it right.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD