Eeyore the 1958 traveller

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moris94
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Eeyore the 1958 traveller

Post by moris94 »

Hello! Just embarked on the restoration of my second traveller, aptly named eeyore! This time i'll actually keep track of whats been happening with him.

One day in and progress is happening - after a very good wash, the interior is out, the fibre glass wings are gone, the old wiring loom has been removed and most of the engine bay has been stripped!

More to come tomorrow, but in the meantime have some pictures :)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Re: Eeyore the 1958 traveller

Post by davidmiles »

nice looking project, the floor looks strong, is that just surface rust? can you give us a few close ups of it, we all love close ups as well as General views.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Thanks :) Barring a small hole, those floor are pretty good! Surface rust galore though - Ill stick some close ups on once I'm home tonight
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Looks like a keeper! Nice car.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Looks a great solid base for a decent restoration. All the very best with it!
]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

A 1958 traveller that LOOKS like a 1958 Traveller!

He he nudge nudge wink wink :oops:

BTW any chance of the chassis/body/engine nos - my database pretty poor on 1957/8 Traveller's?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Looks like a good project! Same colour as my traveller, looks great whens it nice and shiney! 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Thank you all for the nice comments! Im picturing it all nice and shiny, just got a little work to do in the mean time :D So far so good - removing the sill covers today revealed a little more rust than I hoped to find, but nothing unexpected... Its been a fairly productive day, with the doors and bonnet coming off, along with the brake lines and hand brake cables. The engine has been stripped in preparation for taking it out on Sunday, but first tomorrows job is to remove the front suspension - so a good weekend coming up! Ill happily give you the numbers, just need to take a look![frame]Image[/frame]
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Looks a good project, and the right use for the battery tray, is that a beer lurking on there ?.
moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Its the best use for the battery tray I could find! On this project I want to try and return the car to as close to factory spec as I can, and with that in mind i picked up a 948 engine to replace the 1098 unit thats in there currently. Its in need of work, but that can wait for another day!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks a nice traveller :)
moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Thanks!! should look even better soon :P

moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Today saw the successful removal of eeyore's engine - a fun job when theres only one of you and you don't have a hoist! Achieved with surprising ease given the circumstances... suspensions all out barring one stubborn torsion bar, hopefully that will follow tomorrow. Planning on taking the gear box out as well tomorrow - hopefully will go smoothly!

moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Gearbox was successfully removed yesterday - hurrah! Nearly time to start on the rear of the car now - a few more hours on the front then its time for the back axle to come out! At that point it'll be time for the wooden frame to come off, we'll see how that goes when we come to it...

For some reason my photos wont upload, I'll try again later

crackers
Minor Friendly

Post by crackers »

Cripes, you're not hanging around are you.

There's something special about the travellers with their wooden frame isn't there. I was looking at one today that's in original condition (and been parked in a shed for an aeon or three) and even that set the old heart a racing. The owner inherited it from his dad and wants to restore in honour of his dad... except that he's go not idea of anything made before the turn of the century and the wood especially is giving him some deep concern.
moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Speed is of the essence here, i've only got very small window to do this unfortunately - another 3 weeks now, and four weeks from the start of July :P

So its going to be a busy few weeks, absolutely the biggest challenge is getting the car ready to be painted, not to mention fitting in an engine strip down...

The front of the car is now completely stripped, as is the interior

Final job is to drop the rear axle out tomorrow, then the car is completely mechanically disassembled - so big milestone!

Today was spent sanding the front valence and grill, to make a change from the oily stuff- so far its going better than i had hoped :)

I think th ewood is what makes the travellers - theres not much else out there like it! My other one was found under very similar conditions - belonged to the mother of a friend of mine. It had been parked in a shed in the late '90s and left since then

moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Update time!

Ive had a slight change of plans, and have decided to remove the wood first, so the last couple of days have been busy with this!

So far doors are off, glass is out, fuel tanks removed and most of the retaining bolts/screws are free, tomorrow will see the last of them out.

Found some rust in the wheel wells, although it was just where i was expecting it - another thing to add to the list![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Progress! Looking like a lot has happened since my last post - the wood is off! Time to crack out the welder and start dealing with the holes...

Again its not letting me post my photo, i shall try again soon

travellover

Post by travellover »

Hi there Moris, is i from 1958 your car?
Hope you keep up with that good job and keeps us updated ok?
God bless!
Happy restoring, enjoyable sharing and safe driving!!!
moris94
Minor Friendly

Post by moris94 »

Sorry for the very long hiatus, its nearing the time when I can get back to working on Eeyore! Hoping to be back in the garage in about 3 weeks time, then a lot will be happening. I'm hoping to get some use out of him this summer, so aiming to have him back on the road for mid august (fingers crossed!) Since my last update very little has happened, although the body is now bare and partially prepped for paint. Before this can happen though, theres a little bit of metal work that needs doing... I'll try and post an update once a little progress has been made!