Another van.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Another van.

Post by midget »

StillGotMy1stCar wrote:The cab needs to be fitted first as the engine mounting towers sit on top of the tie plates.
Regards John

Yes you're right, knew there was a reason that precluded it, but couldn't see it. Anyway,assembled most of the suspension now so will have to wait for a while. Trouble is there's not a great deal that can be done until it is back on 4 wheels.
Thinking making of a small custom made pallet to mount on top of the chassis legs and strap on some weight to set torsion bars?
But would this still need top mounts(shockers) in place?
John
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Great work and a lovely job a credit to you :D
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Pleased to report some progress at last.
Engine/box, rack, column, brake lines and, beginning tomorrow, the suspension should be finished. Shocks are in and have tried a dry run with the rest, so confident that it will be on 4 wheels soon.
Had a rethink on the engine, and decided to refit the 1098 and standard box until its up and running with all bugs sorted rather than having possible fettling issues with the A+ to deal with. I am aiming for completion by end of March for some local Branch supported events and of course the National in June. A little disappointed with paint quality as the welded clips were only painted on one side and paint fell off when bent into position. I thought that moden paint would be a little more flexible?
Having trouble sourcing some steel braided front and rear brake hoses to connect Minor pipe fittings to Marina callipers. ESM used to stock them, but not listed now?
Attachments
IMG_20180121_175903.jpg
IMG_20180121_175903.jpg (655.63 KiB) Viewed 6982 times
John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

March estimated completion date now seems a little optimistic(surprise surprise) but cab is all screwed together with reasonable shut lines at last. Wiring done, brakes finished apart from decision to replace the very worn pedal shaft which I tried to get away with new bushes but it is too sloppy I feel.
So its back to spray shop next week then my favourite job (not) of assembling door furniture etc. Still have the cargo body to refresh, but it is (unusually) very sound in the normal troubled arrears. I may fit it temporarily, as is, for the summer and revisit it later when the 1275 is fitted. I welcome any comments of the visible shut lines, particularly the wing to door heights. I have seen many that have the annoying ridge at the top of the wing/ door but unable to match perfectly. They are Heritage items.

John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Well March has come and gone, and although I now have a running, driving, stopping machine, there is still much to do.
Final coat still needed before I tackle the door stuff and interior. No chance of the cargo body being ready this side of the National, so may look for a temporary solution--or refit old one as it is and continue later?

John
RussLCV
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by RussLCV »

hope you have registered the van with the Minor LCV Register on www.minorLCVreg.co.uk
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Ha Ha--yes you know me Russ. Register member and same name on your forum.

PM sent.
John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Getting closer to completion, but need some help with identifying these brackets please.
I thought that they were something to do with the door internals, but cannot see anywhere that they could fit?

Still no cargo body yet :x but have sourced a P/U rear panel, so intend to fit this temporarily and return it to the road.

I have not been idle as I have returned my Marina project to the road recently.
Attachments
IMG_20180928_121720.jpg
IMG_20180928_121720.jpg (377.14 KiB) Viewed 6576 times
John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You are right, they fit inside the doors, some sort of spacer between the inner and outer skin. I cant remember exactly where though.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As Les says, they fit inside the doors with the rubber pad against the outer skin. It should be easy enough to work out where because there will be 2 hole in the inner skin which line up exactly with the brackets :wink:
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks Les. I'll investigate further.
Another problem(of my own making) has also cropped up. Came to refit the wiper motor and have lost the "draglink" which connects the cable to the rotating wiper motor wheel. Are they available separately?

MM yes that's what I've been looking for--no joy so far.
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The brackets do not appear to be listed in the BMC van parts list Pt No: AKD559.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

They are anti drum brackets, I agree that the manual doesn't appear to show them, however they do exist! Maybe a later addition. I looked at manual akd 3575.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The anti-drumming brackets are as mentioned above are in all probability a later addition. AKD559 Morris Quarter-Ton Van Parts manual referred to above is the Third Edition and they are not shown or listed in that edition.

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

John
Wiper Motor link …. is this what you're after ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-DR3A-W ... %7Ciid%3A1
I've used him in the past , good feedback seller !
Bob
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Yes, that's the one I've lost. By pure chance I "found " a guy locally who had a u/s motor that he gave me for a drink :D

Found the relevant corresponding holes in the doors, and fitted the anti drumming blocks. I had seen and rejected these earlier, as I thought that they would interfere with window operation but obviously not.

Thanks for interest.
John
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

John
Glad you're " sorted " , for the cost of a pint ! Result. If only life was always that simple.
Bob
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Nobody should need to pay £25.00 or so for a small, common part like that. It isn't a wearing part and hundreds of people still have stuff like that kicking around in their garages and sheds.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I've just taken a photo of my own door internals and re-sized it in an attempt to show where the brackets are fitted to the door.
P1060431.JPG
P1060431.JPG (69.44 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks MM, all sorted now. I agree, that is an unjustifiable rip off for that part.
John