Mulli's 4 door saloon brave restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mulli's 4 door saloon brave restoration

Post by BrianHawley »

Well you know what they say about granddad's axe: it's had two new heads and three new handles.

This is a huge project as you will be virtually replacing the whole bottom of the car. But good for you. Go for it and all the best.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Ha ha ive not heard that one, thought it was a broom that had 3 new heads. Thank you i'll need luck. Gonnna take my time tho no rush on this one
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Looks like most of what you need is available

http://www.morrisminorspareparts.co.uk/ ... air-panels

http://www.morrisminorspareparts.co.uk/ ... r?start=20

C post bottom seems to be missing tho
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Fair play for saving that car, I'd say it was very lucky to find you!

If you read my 57 rotten thread you'll get an idea of how all that rear end goes together, afaik the part you are after isn't available and nor is the rear floor with the three domes in it so try and keep what you can of that when cutting the back out under the rear seat and around the fuel tank, David manners said they were available once but the demand was too small for them.

Good luck!
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Thanks Pete, actually been following a lot of resto's on here, and yours has been an inspiration, especially with the work on your rear arches as Ive not seen many people do complete new panel, so thanks for sharing it!
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Thanks!

I'm much happier with the full panel areas than the patchy floors that are not great but not unusable, I was tempted to keep on cutting at one stage, at least that decision has been made for you with this one!
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Right then, I was hoping to get the boxing plate, floor & sills sorted on the drivers side (to put some strength back in the stucture), but feel now i goto go further back, as once ive put the boxing plate on, it will restrict my access to the bits in these pics...

Top right shiny metal to plug weld new boxing section to, but as you can see bottom of area of part ive callef 1C (main rear chassis rail i guess its called??) Its rotten, this should fold under, forming a lip,spot welded to the main floor under the rear seats.....

(Im not 100% sure but does the rear spring hanger A) weld directly on to the floor under rear seats, or B) was/is the repair sections the spring plate wrlded onto a stiffener plate thats welded onto the rear floor,
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Where Ithink factory spot welded (the chassis rail) to rear underseat floor pan

Anyway to gain better access to, and repair/protect this area, decided to strip the rear arch back a bit...

Scraped off old underseal to reveal spot welds ? (Yellow dot's)

And a bloody repair welded right over on top of half the spit welds!!

That will do for tonight,more updates soon!
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

The back is just as bad, prob leave this till ive put some metal back in, plus ive not really got space to work here.... :-?

There should be a lip here to attach the verytop of the arch...

More of the same

Removed part of arch to give better access to repair the chassis rail

The removed panel piece

Hopefully now ive got better access i can clean this area up. I have to somehow make a repair section, that folds inwards for the under seat floor to weld too.

Ive left this bit in for now to help when I have to make a template

This will get cut away and repaired with the new floor repair panel. I will also cut the under seat floor back aboutan inch, as its rotten all along the join. Then I will have to weld the two floor and repair pieces into one. That will be hard as will have to do it from underneath. That may have to wait as I dont trust going under it til some solid metalgas been put in!

Thats it for now, as you can see its goint to be a very time consuming process. But the moggy is growing on me.

Any futher advice/opinions welcome. Thanks in advance :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Cripes! There must have been much more solid minors scrapped than this one, well done, keep going it can only get better now.
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

That may be so Pete, but this one is my one ha ha, it will be a challenge and a learning curve,which I like, but like you say it cant get any worse than it already is. Hopefully get another few hours in over the weekend
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Every piece that goes on now is a improvement and a bit more solid than it was, I'd coincider having it totally soda blasted once it's solid to clean it all back before rust treatment and priming.
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Thats what im hoping, and yes would love to get it blasted when the shell is solid, cost snd funds depending closer to the time...
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Managed to get a bit in this evening.

This is the rotten floor under the rear seat base:

Cut out:

This lip at the edge of the rear floor,where the rear inner wing spot welded too will need making up and replacing...

Cut away a piece of plate covering the origional metal & spot welds

And the spot welds holding the rusty floor in were drilled out where it spot welded to the chassis rails

Thats all for now...
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Looking good. You will have great satisfaction when it's all solid again. Are you going to zinc spray the inside of the bits you can get to? I'm looking forward to seeing the new panels going in.
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

I sure will be, ive got a can of this etch primer lying around:

Which Can apparently be used as a weld through, so will use this til it runs out for the chassis rails n tat before welding, maybe a ciat after welding to and prob a final coat of red oxide or similar.

Im just trying to clean the area up a bit, incidently had a vat offcard for machin mart so bought a little spot blaster, these are the resuts with one little bag of grit:

As can be seenit does an alright job, however its messy and dusty, I think I will stick to my wire mops and power files whilst the cars stuck inside the garage. But will come in usefull for all the hard to reach bits.

Once ive finished cleaning the area im goin to attempt to make some repair panels for the front the chasis rail, not looking forward to that, im not the best at fabrication to be honest, but we'll work through that problem!
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Yeah that should work well if it's weld through. I used red oxide on the underside but after I done it I bought a vw camper t2 that's been left outside for 8 years in epoxy primer and the rust hasn't come through. Wish I'd used that on the moggie. Tho im sure the red oxide will be fine as iv used chassis black over it.

My chassis legs were solid apart from one side, some really small holes where jacks had been used and caused water to puddle in them. I managed to but weld some pieces in using magnets. I'm really happy with them. I'm enjoying following this project thanks.
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Will do an update soon, my camera isnt working at the moment. Started making the repair bits for bottom of chassis rail/lip, should be welded in ovee wkend.

Ive heard of the epoxy primer ive got a T2 bay aswell awaiting repair, all the vdub guys live epoxy primer (unfortunatly its to tall to fit in the garage so any rain stops play).

Talking of chassis rails the o/s one dont look to bad at the bad, might get away with a front repair section, may need a complete one on the n/s.

Anyway updates over wkend, thanks for reading it gives me good motivation!
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Managed to get a few hours in tonight, back to this bit of floor, it should fold round forming a lip for the inner arch to spot weld to. So I cut it out and will make a repair piece later:

spot welds removed and Cut out:

Also had a bit of the front part of inner wing still to remove, spit welds (yellow dots) cut out and removed:

Remember this bit needed repairing:

Got this done in the week, ended up making out of 3 pieces, tidied up and given a coat of etch tonight:

Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Also continued removing the rear part of the inner wing:

Spot welds drilled out, there should be more spot welds at the bottom, but big super quality repair plate over the top:

Origional rotted away so no spot welds left

Thats it for tonight, more soon!