New chassis for van - advice & opinions...

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Justin67
MMOC Member: No

New chassis for van - advice & opinions...

Post by Justin67 »

So I am about ready in my resto to order a new van chassis, as I am about to spend a lot of money and want to get it right...there are several on the market with varying opinions on good, bad, indifferent.
Any recommendations on which one to get or which one to avoid, I appreciate it is ultimately my decision but willing to learn from others experiences
Many thanks
Toys...
1958 Morris Minor LCV
1953 Series 1 Landrover 80
1971 Norton Commando
1971 Triumph TR6C
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: New chassis for van - advice & opinions...

Post by LouiseM »

As with all Minor parts/panels it usually pays to buy the best quality that you can. I don't have personal experience but have heard good things about the chassis produced by unseen projects which is available from ESM: http://unseenprojects.com/unseenproject ... assis.html

Hopefully others with experience of this one or the chassis provided by other suppliers will post so that you can get a good range of views as it's an expensive purchase.

Edit: It might also be worth contacting Fairmile Restorations. Not sure if he makes the chassis but Iain might be able to offer some useful advice: http://fairmilerestorations.co.uk/

Eric - 1971 Traveller
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New chassis for van - advice & opinions...

Post by midget »

You are correct in your assumption regarding the ESM supplied chassis. It is the best available off the shelf. I have recently bought one and apart from carrying out some seam sealing and painting was ready to go. I have started a restoration which has shown me that the panels fit properly and has the strengthening gussets which others do not.
It can be seen on my "restoration" post.
John