57 Saloon, rotten!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 57 Saloon, rotten!

Post by firedrake1942 »

I had the same when I used the car every day but have now reverted to originality and it looks much better with the little white sidelights at the front and little red ones at the back. Like you I have a '57 four door and with the contemporary colours, the old lights look somehow 'right'. With the flashing festoon led bulbs the trafficators I am much happier about having them as my only indicators .... not than anyone ever indicates these days. Carry on with the good work !
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have to say I would feel very vulnerable on the road with only trafficators. I have period add-on rear amber flashers on the back of my 1958 Minor for safety reasons. They are mounted on brackets so the wings are not drilled.
PS - You're making a great job of this car!
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

Beautiful job all round, I fitted flashers under the bumpers on all my Morris minors as I was nearly run down by a lorry once, I sometimes even put my hand out to signal. :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

It's certainly a tricky one, maybe in the future I'll revert to old lights, I'd go for sage wheels and grill and a grey pin stripe too, but then I've got later seats too!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

According to Ray Newell's book on MM restoration Sage Green was only in use for a short time like Clarendon Grey, (oct 55- March 59). The wheels, again like Clarendon Grey, should be Sage Green and the coachwork stripe in Birch Grey. Interior could be either Grey or Green with Beagle Green (Never seen one of those) carpets. :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Oh and the grille should also be Sage Green. I have to say that unlike most of the Grey cars , yours looks really good which contrasting grille and wheels Is it Old English Ivory ?
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Yes I had the wheels powder coated years ago as they were hammerite grey, the grill was already white so I went with that and added the pinstripe to match, it's very British looking with the green and white, it's like the great British bake off on wheels! :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Got the patchwork floor scraped, treated, welded and painted on the passenger side, exhaust painted and back on, front brakes rebuilt with all new parts, I've fitted the rear wing ready to see where need filling before paint on the rear aperture. Also fitted the stainless finisher pieces and kick plates. Passenger side, done!

Started getting the engine running a bit better, thankfully it was just a spark plug making it run on three, I've fitted the new set of four and a new air filter and put some fresh super unleaded in and it's running fairly sweet now :D

Turned it around and cut out the rot on the drivers side floor and cross member, weld, treat and paint underneath and I can bleed the brakes and bolt a seat in for a test drive!
Mulli
Minor Friendly

Post by Mulli »

Great work Pete!
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Decided the entire pedal setup needs rebuilding/replacing!

It's never been right, the brake pedal was fused to the clutch and every bush is shot.

Ordered all new screws and washers for the gearbox cover at the same time.

Another box of bits arrived today, New headlights, indicators, front brakes and loads of bits for the engine bay which is a future job maybe over next winter.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Clutch relay shaft bush!
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Last sections to be welded and then the floor can be painted, suspension rebuilt including adjusting the lop sided torsion bar, I've marked both ends so I can adjust it by one spline.

I've got new brake lines ready to fit, new earth straps, wiring loom will be wrapped, prop shaft will be painted.

Gallons of cavity wax to go in and a hand brushed coat underneath.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Looks like you got your monies worth out of that clutch relay bush !! You might find the clutch action a little smoother and more positive now ?
Keep cracking on with your list , there's only one way it gets smaller when you tackle a resto. Good work so far.
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

great resto project Pete, you'll have to update the thread title as there's not a spot of rot to see now. Keep up the posts they are fascinating and a real inspiration for those of us that want another project.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Thanks guys!
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

New gearbox tail seal in, gearbox mounts, gearbox steady cable, engine earth strap, brake pedal bushes, new clutch arm and bushes, clutch relay setup completely replaced, propshaft 2 coats of silver smoothrite, floor given another coat including up into the tunnel, gearbox and master cylinder covers painted, brake lines replaced, front os brake shoes,drum and cylinders etc.

Needs the stainless kick plates and finishers fitting along with the rear wing to get any drilling and grinding done before any bodywork is done then it can be dropped on the ground, brakes bled, engine mounts and steady bushes, oil and filter, gearbox oil and I can drive it, on the road !!!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I saw a newish fiat 500 the other day, I'd say the colour was sage green! Fiat have taste! :D

SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

I've seen those! Pastel shades and flat greys are all back in fashion aren't they?
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

I've used a self adhesive neoprene seal around the gearbox cover and brake master cylinder cover, New screws and cup washers, New pedal rubbers and gear stick gaitor to finish off.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

New filler bungs but the brake filler cap sits above the floor?