57 Saloon, rotten!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 57 Saloon, rotten!

Post by firedrake1942 »

If you are going for original as all your hard work seems to indicate then the boot board struts are body coloured. Not sure about the boot itself. Like yours, mine is black. ~The boards themselves are a matt black finish. I wish my '57 4 door looked like yours !
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Looks really good. Hope your pleased. That will last forever.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

It's already too far altered to be original really, the wings have the later light units front and back, seats are 60s ones, as long as it's solid and tidy it will do for me!

My boards are matt black but it will have the green carpet on top, I'm getting a canvas bag to keep my spares and tools in to add a finishing touch!
Last edited by SageGreenPete on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

I'm tempted to paint the bars green though now, lol. See what you've done :)
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Don't listen to them Pete, it will be a very nice individual car :lol: :lol: :lol:

SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Well I'm already flying the flag for the sage green which is quite unusual shall we say :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ahhhh ! ? Go on now, you know you want to! (sorry Mrs Doyle) , Sage Green is a fab colour - second only to Clarendon Grey that is.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

It has grown on me over the years, I still get experts telling me it's not the original colour at shows!
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

That's a different group of people, they can't enjoy their car unless everything is spot on. I on the other hand enjoy the car just because it still goes (and goes well) after all these years, I can work on it myself, it will outlast the modern I have and people smile when it goes by, although that might be because they feel sorry for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Bit harsh! I like to try and get things right but am no pedant. I drove my 57 4 door for years with filler and fibreglass before I could afford new bits, putting on modern front and back lights for safety and visibility and have slowly brought it to a stage where I can restore it to functional originality. I am not interested in concours and thoroughly enjoy looking for the bits it should have on it without worrying that some 'expert' is going to tell me that chrome headed self tappers were not made until 3rd of June 1965 etc etc. but I do like to have advice from those who have trodden the path before me and who do know what they are doing.

I have had the car nearly 40 years man and boy and I too like that smile when you parp parp by them. The Minor is a joy to drive! Do what you will with them but never be afraid or to obtuse to listen.....
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

No harsh intended :wink: We are all different after all. However you want to enjoy your moggy is OK by me, just enjoy it I say 8)

SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Well It's got wheels!
Wheel bearings feel like they'll last about 6 months and the beehive springs I went out of my way to get aren't going in as they look like they'll obstruct the shoes?
Handbrake cables are too short from the axle to body mounts.

Filled the diff and replaced the damper oil whilst I remember though.

Fuel and brake lines plus the wiring loom to put in and can come down off the tilting lift, exhaust can't go on until I've done the front floors and cross member repairs.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

You're making a fabulous job of the car, brilliant. Brings back memories of my own laborious restoration where lots of replacement panels needed fettling to fit. But so worth it in the end. :D Mine is Almond Green which was always a favourite colour. But I love the sage just as much if not better, then there's Clarendon Grey, Rose Taupe, Clipper Blue .... :o
]
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

I'd have one of each colour if I could :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

It's out of the garage on its own wheels! Still a lot to do but I've insured it and taken it of sorn :)

Ordered loads more parts, everything for the back bumper, stainless kick plates and finishers, carpets, underlay, mats.......
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Re wrapped my wiring loom and bought the indicator wires into the same bundle, New bullets where needed and all new connectors.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Rear end underside done!
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

And it's out of the garage!!!

Spent the whole evening cleaning the garage and putting tools away ready for the next stage. In an ideal world you'd take the floors out and do a full respray but I'm not selling it so that can be phase two in years to come.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Superb. I am no expert but isn't there something missing ??? (TEE HEE). Are you putting the original 57 lights back on ?
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Damn I knew I'd forgot something!
No it's got later lights with indicators built in, it's had indicators for years looking at the wires though, probably a period modification. I'm doing the bodywork last so there's still a lot to do yet.