2 Door saloon.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

2 Door saloon.

Post by Pickingscrap »

Hi all, I bought my moggy believe it or not out of the crap yard back in July and got it back to the workshop ready to start on bringing it back to life. The story goes that the car was parked up in a shed back in 1985 while the owner did a few jobs and it never moved again until the owner died and the car was sold off for scrap. Now since getting it I have been to hell and back after I was working on a trailer and my overalls caught fire leaving me with horrific burns to both my legs. About a 6 weeks ago I started taking the car apart and discovered that it needed a ton of welding which has now all been done alone with new brakes including the pipes. It's also had the first coat of blue paint only things left is it needs a new radiator and 4 tyres until this morning when the engine wiring loom decides that it no longer wants to work and melted. I'm now at the point of should I carry on or just sell it as a In going project? I have boxes of new parts ready to go on but I just don't think have it in me to finish it. After being on fire once this year it scared the life out of me this morning when everything went belly up.
Attachments
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG (2.74 MiB) Viewed 3354 times
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 3354 times
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 2 Door saloon.

Post by les »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck regarding the fire, and then another incident with the wiring. I can see from the pictures why it was a scrapper, but 5 months maybe a little early to give up on it, especially as you seem to have done quite a lot already.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Keep going. ! You have done the bulk of the work and doing up a minor is the best therapy I know. Keep us posted as to progress. I am constantly in awe of what people on this forum achieve after set backs and with what many would regard as scrappers. GFI !!!
Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly

Post by Pickingscrap »

These pictures where taken yesterday
Attachments
This was taken yesterday
This was taken yesterday
IMG_1567.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 3332 times
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG (909.28 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

You're well on the way. You can't stop now!
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ditto! And another one saved !
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks really good :)
Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly

Post by Pickingscrap »

Update on the project so far.
Unfortunately I have had it with this car! After spending an entire week preparing and painting the car the paint has reacted with god knows what and looks awful. I have now come to the conclusion I hate this car and I'm doing no more to it other that putting it back together getting it MOTed and selling it for whatever I can get to recoup some of what this hateful little car has cost me. So if anyone wants a devil car it's here. If it wasn't for the fact I have a ton of money in it, it would be going back to where I found it. Sorry for the rant but you have no idea just how much blood sweat and tears have gone in to this sodding thing.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Sorry to hear your decision, restoration is not an easy path, mine was a 10 year slog, there are many pitfalls and setbacks. It depends on your passion and how much you want something, some of us are more stubborn than others and won't be beaten but If you run out of enthusiasm i realise how hard it is to keep going and I doubt you're the only one to close the garage door on a project.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As Les says, these things aren't easy. Patience and perseverance are required in large quantities. If you've only been doing yours for six weeks, you have done remarkably well! Sometimes, you just have to walk away for a while and then go back at a later date. This is the hardest time of year too - when it is cold and dark in the garage......
If it a chemical reaction in the paint I imagine it'll all have to come off but if it has just gone on badly maybe it'll rub down and re-coat? What type of paint have you used?
Good luck with it anyway whatever you decide to do. With the welding completed you are a good part of the way there now!
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Please keep going , it looks fantastic so far . Complete it and enjoy your effort and skill . I had issues with an old house . It seemed to ' fight back ' with everything I tried to do . Beat it in the end and been living in it for thirty years . I would hate to leave it .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

From reading his last post I'd say his mind is made up. If you haven't got the right frame of mind for these things it's no good, there's a danger of cutting corners and that in itself makes the next stage seem pointless. Shame but there you go. If his heart isn't in it, best to sell 'as is' rather that rush to put it together.

Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly

Post by Pickingscrap »

I'v decided to at least finish the car I'v never had a restoration defeat me and I'm not letting this one so with that in mind I'v started putting her face back on.
Attachments
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3176 times
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Great news and decision !!! I'm sure all the members will look forward to seeing your completed project !
Again --great news !
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Wow, that was a turnaround! :o In which case good luck. Next time you feel bad------- a good nights sleep is a wonderful thing. :D

Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly

Post by Pickingscrap »

It was more like a kick up the DONT SWEAR OR YOU WILL BE BANNED from my Dad :-?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Whatever the method, dads can often put things into perspective :D

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I can almost guarantee that when you get it running you will fall in love and the tough times will become anecdotes that you share with mates in the pub! A well sorted Minor is a joy... second only to an Austin A30!
Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly

Post by Pickingscrap »

An A30 is next in my list lol and I'v just this minute got it running albeit with a bit of a Miss fire but nevertheless she's running and moving under her own steam for the first time in 30 odd years. So yes at the moment I have a bit of a grin on my face right now. Lucky the road leading to the work shop is a private road so I'm now planning on running it up and down the road tomorrow:)
Pickingscrap
Minor Friendly

Post by Pickingscrap »

Oh while I think on has anybody got or has a link to a wiring diagram for the lights? That's the next job .