Molly the Convertible Restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!

Moderator: Moderators

davecopp
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Molly the Convertible Restoration

Postby davecopp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi All
I am about to start a restoration on my 1965 convertible I acquired a few months ago. I believe it's fairly sound having a letter from Charles Ware dated 2005 which says 'the chassis has been fully rebuilt'. Floors, sills and pillars all seem good and it has been garaged by it's long term owner.
My intention is to have a bare metal respray, and later on, recondition the engine and gearbox.
I have worked in a bodyshop one or two days a week for the past 18 months to try and acquire some knowledge and skill. I'm not as good as I'd like to be but at least I can do the prep work and know someone who can do the finishing and spraying.
I have prepared a barn at the in-laws farm having run an underground cable for an electrical supply and fitted two 1000 watt halogen floodlights. I've also collected boxes and made space in the attic to store parts. I'm now ready to start stripping Molly. I've taken a shedfull of photos and will continue to do so as I go along. Is there any order to stripping down and have I forgotten anything? Any advice now and along the way would be really appreciated.
By the way (I'm computer illiterate) how do I attach photos - is it via 'image' or 'attachment' .
Thanks
Dave

King Kenny
Minor Friendly

Re: Molly the Convertible Restoration

Postby King Kenny » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi. That's a big question. When I rebuilt a convertible (from a two door saloon) I removed the big panels first. Wings doors bonnet and front grill panels. They were treated independently from the shell. That will allow you to strip the interior when your hands are clean, and the engine/gearbox when they are not. They can be restored/cleaned as necessary. The rear axle and front suspension will be the last parts to be dealt with. I built a wooden trolley to move the car in and out of my single garage, it sounds as though you will have plenty of room to prepare the shell, wings, doors and bonnet in your barn (lucky guy).
As for photographs, reduce the size of your image so the longest edge is 1200 pixels wide and save as a JPEG then just click on attachments and look for you image.
Hope this helps and good luck.

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Postby davecopp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks King Kenny, much appreciated. I'll try uploading some photos tomorrow.

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Postby davecopp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:12 am

IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 370 times
The starting point.

King Kenny
Minor Friendly

Postby King Kenny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Looks a good starting point. I hope it is as good underneath. I look forward to seeing your progress.

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Postby irmscher » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 pm

Looks very nice :)