"Gracie" Dove grey 1965 2 door saloon.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richie B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: "Gracie" Dove grey 1965 2 door saloon.

Post by Richie B »

Good to read your updates and I dont find them boring. I find that it encouraging to know that the problems I come up against are generally the same as a lot of others have overcome in past restorations. Thats the great thing about the posts on here.
Keep them coming Dermot.
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Good to read your updates and I dont find them boring. I find that it encouraging to know that the problems I come up against are generally the same as a lot of others have overcome in past restorations. Thats the great thing about the posts on here.
Keep them coming Dermot.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Having read through quite a lot of other restoration posts the one thing that strikes me is how people overcome problems, until you are faced with the issue then you have to think it through, I find it quite stimulating, although I do find myself going into a semi trance when thinking about a problem.

All good fun though, thoroughly enjoying myself.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Its been a while since I gave any update, so here goes.
I have now almost welded one complete side of Gracie, it has taken me ages as I'm learning as I go along but enjoying every minute in the garage.
Some parts have also made their way into my possession such as a 1275 midget engine and head, 1275 gearbox, A 30 differential, front and rear telescopic damper kit, front anti roll bar.

The engine block is away for a re-bore to 1330 as it was a 1293 when I got it but it was a bit rough, I'm also having the block chemically cleaned and the oil ways drilled and tapped.
The 12g940 head is still in my garage and I hope to drop that off with the machine shop soon to have it cleaned up, I may go with bigger valves but I have to have that discussion with the engine builder as I'm looking for low down grunt rather than top end revs so that will be the deciding factor when it comes to work on the head and indeed what camshaft I eventually choose.

I Jumped in and stripped the 1275 gearbox, mainly to give me more understanding of this " black art" so now I have it apart I have new bearings, seals and minor modifications to carry out and that can be rebuilt.

When I say modifications, its only a brass washer on the first gear selector to stop the gear being over engaged and the detent balls coming out.

On the subject of detent balls, I had great fun getting them to sit in whilst I pushed the gear over them, until Philthehill on here told me about the proper tool, absolutely amazing how easy things are with the right equipment.( Thanks again Phil)

I'm now available for any gearbox work. (joke).

My plan with Gracie is to use it on classic car trials and PCT's hence the running gear upgrades but I'm also going to upgrade the brakes and have provisionally sourced the brakes off a Morris Marina, so will see what they are like when I meet the chap next week, I don't know yet if the are complete or just calipers and discs, his memory is hazy but I will let you know the outcome.

So the overall spec I'm looking at will be:
1330 engine with probably a 264 camshaft (to be decided), big valve head, roller rockers,HIF44 Carb, decent inlet manifold and a tubular exhaust manifold.
1275 Midget gearbox
Austin A30 differential
Hardened halfshafts
Morris Marina disc brake conversion
Possibly Wolseley 1500 rear brakes with sides swapped to retain handbrake.
I intend to fit some modern seats for comfort on long distance trials and a set of seat belts.

As the cars intended main use will be motorsport I will be repositioning the battery to the boot, fitting a VW Golf mk1 radiator as it is much smaller and lighter than the Minor item but actually flows just as much.
Other things like the washer bottle will be repositioned to maximise grip on the rear.

I could have gone down the ford zetec engine route and ford running gear but that would put me in a very competitive class where the rear traction of the Minor is at a disadvantage to other kit cars and RWD specials so I will stick with the set up I have and just get out there and have some fun.

I have almost amassed the parts I require so one I have finished welding I can begin the rebuild.

Having said that the welding takes me ages so the car will not be ready any time this year, I do however hope to have it out for next season.

Regards

Dermot.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

A quick update I have now acquired a front disc brake set up from a Morris Marina including swivels etc.

They have been put into storage boxes until the body work is complete.

I'm still working on the gearbox rebuild and will be dropping the bellhousing cover off for machining to allow fitment of a proper oil seal rather than relying on the scroll seal.

I hope to find some garage time this week which will hopefully allow me to assemble the gearbox, that can then be stored and I can continue with the bodywork.

I will try upload some photographs later of the current situation.