1953 (March) Series II Restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1953 (March) Series II Restoration

Post by philipkearney »

I haven't cleaned the headlining out of an early car (yet) but I have cleaned later headlinings and similar textured materials using a washing powder (daz or similar) and a scrubbing brush. This really gets into the grain of the material to clean the dirt. I would certainly recommend trying it on a discreet area first - just in case.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Thanks for the suggestion Philip.

After trying several cleaning products, a diluted multi-surface cleaner applied with a soft nail brush appears to be working well if a little slowly. I am trying the process out on the cardboard panel below the rear screen first.

So far so good.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5824.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5824.jpg (362.88 KiB) Viewed 23844 times
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Looks like it is working really well and is certainly lifting the dirt. The nail brush is a good idea, a bit softer than a scrubbing brush but still able to get into the grain of the material.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

My Dad smoked roll-ups and I remember him 'repainting' the headlining in the family Triumph Herald when I was a child.
I was always amazed at how white it looked after.........
Not sure what he used though, this was back in the early 1970's.
Happy days..... :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

It was the final strip down today for the shell before it is picked up tomorrow morning.

Final items to come off were the rear axle and leaf springs, petrol pipe, master cylinder and remaining hard brake lines, exhaust hanger under the rear seat and the asbestos heat shield under the passenger side floor.

I also stripped as much of the floor sound proofing material as I could which did seem a shame as it was in good condition but I have all the dimensions I need to replicate replacement in a similar material. Likewise, the last remaining sections of original 'course' carpet were removed from the cills. I have kept these as 'patterns' but I don't think a similar carpet type is available?

Last surprise was the 'welding' repair to the handbrake lever mount. I don't know if this was a weakness in the early cars but I think I am going to redo the work before paint.

The last two photos show why I'm going for the dip and strip process for this car. It is to eradicate the surface rust which has no doubt got into all the seams whilst retaining as much of the original metal as possible.

Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5848.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5848.jpg (396.91 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
thumbnail_IMG_5849.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5849.jpg (484.69 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
thumbnail_IMG_5853.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5853.jpg (374.05 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
thumbnail_IMG_5855.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5855.jpg (390.46 KiB) Viewed 23772 times
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Really interesting work. Just out of interest what was the three panel of the headliner made of and how was it covered. Are you intending to reuse the old headlining or make anew one.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Hi Andy, and thanks for your comment.

The central section of the early hard headlining is a very thin plywood whilst the two side panels and parcel shelf panel are made from a thicker card which can take the tighter curves.

I'm not sure what the covering material is but it has a slightly textured surface and is thin enough to be glued to the base materials and follow the curves.

I'll take some photos of the rear of the panels and post later so you can see what is going on.

I do intend to reuse the existing roof lining after careful cleaning as they are difficult to get hold of in this condition.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Enviro Strip van and trailer arrived bang on time this morning just as the sun was coming up.

Shell was loaded in minutes. Separate panels took a little longer.

Expected return in around three weeks.

Still plenty to do in the meantime with the rear axle to overhaul and all the small bits of suspension bracketry etc.

Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5865.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5865.jpg (318.72 KiB) Viewed 23726 times
thumbnail_IMG_5862.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5862.jpg (625.49 KiB) Viewed 23726 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It looks like it will largely turn out okay but it will be interesting to see the 'after' pictures of the panels lined up there, as well as the bodyshell, of course.
Fingers crossed for you.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Hi Mike,

The shell and panels are coming back in a 2 pack primer which should highlight the areas of rust I know about and where any cosmetic welding is required.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Started on the 'MM' axle teardown and I'm still finding date codes on parts such as the rear shock absorbers (1/53) which show they are also original items.

Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5868.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5868.jpg (238.6 KiB) Viewed 23586 times
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

The split case axle is putting up a good fight but I am making some progress. It appears to have been leaking for many years judging by the build up of sludge on the outside but I have now removed 67 years of crud from one half of the axle to reveal the serial numbers shown in the photo.

I presume the 8 / 43 is the axle ratio (5.375) and 4647 is the part number?
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5882.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5882.jpg (227.98 KiB) Viewed 23563 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

On the plus side 67 years of 'crud' seem to have protected it and it's paint rather well..... :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

The rear axle put up a good fight but I have managed to break it down as far as I want to go.

The pinion gear teeth looked good and their roller bearings sounded smooth and quiet so I didn't see the need to replace them or dismantle further. I will be fitting a new pinion seal however as that was a major source of one of the oil leaks.

The diff crown and planetary gears were all undamaged and they too felt smooth and 'tight', however both diff outer bearings were noisy and not smooth so they will be replaced, as will both wheel bearings (which had excessive play in) them and their seals which were the other oil leak sources.

The third photo shows my red paint lettering identifying left and right drive shafts so I put them back in as they came out ie rotating in the correct direction.

The piece of sticky tape with the arrow on is pointing to a very small 'hole' in the top of the axle casing which I am presuming is a vent point to release pressure inside the axle when it is rotating at speed? I only found it after a good clean.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5889.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5889.jpg (377.93 KiB) Viewed 23443 times
thumbnail_IMG_5890.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5890.jpg (427.72 KiB) Viewed 23443 times
thumbnail_IMG_5893.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5893.jpg (281.78 KiB) Viewed 23443 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A considerably different in design to the Morris Minor axles that came after it.
I have to say it makes the later axles look simpler to maintain and live with but I doubt that was the official explanation for the change.
Does someone on here know what the official reason for the move from this type of casing to the later 'one piece' units was?
Best wishes,
Mike.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

I can’t answer the question officially Mike but I can think of a couple of reasons.
This axle should be seen as being the ‘end of the line’ in terms of Morris development. It’s design was carried over from the Morris Series E which in turn used this design in the pre war Morris version and possibly further back as well.

Also the axle is a very heavy unit and requires a seven in leaf spring even on the Series II saloon.

And inevitably changes came about with the merger of Austin and Morris into ‘BMC’.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So, simply put, progress. Fair enough.
Since you have it apart, how would you remove the diff from it, if you had to?
The later ones you just unbolt and pull out (with the halfshafts removed first) from the front but your older one looks like a very much more involved process.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Ian46
Minor Fan

Post by Ian46 »

Hi Mike,

You can see in the above photos that I have the diff on the bench. I have removed the bearings it runs in as they are worn and will be replaced.

I thought I would just include a few illustrations from the MM manual regarding possible maintenance works to the split case axle so you can see how complex any overhauling work might be and why I pleased I didn't have to employ the dummy pinion shaft which I don't have!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5919.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5919.jpg (412.04 KiB) Viewed 23312 times
thumbnail_IMG_5921.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5921.jpg (400.71 KiB) Viewed 23312 times
thumbnail_IMG_5923.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5923.jpg (361.33 KiB) Viewed 23312 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm glad they changed it.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

jagnut66 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm A considerably different in design to the Morris Minor axles that came after it.
I have to say it makes the later axles look simpler to maintain and live with but I doubt that was the official explanation for the change.
Does someone on here know what the official reason for the move from this type of casing to the later 'one piece' units was?
Best wishes,
Mike.
It was rationalisation, Mike. The replacement OHV version of the original SV engine, developed by Morris and due to be fitted to the Minor was ditched in favour of the then new 803 OHV A-Series Austin engine from the A30 with the merger of Austin and Morris to form BMC. The Morris gearbox and back axle were also superseded with Austin ones, but there was apparently some stock of axles left over so early SII cars had the MM axles (albeit with the 5.375:1 ratio rather than the 4.55:1 of the MM). So it was progress of sorts, but it’s generally believed that the Morris gearbox and axle were tougher than the Austin ones. The old Morris 918 was definitely tougher than the ‘fragile’ 803, but later versions of the A-Series made the change worthwhile!