Restoration Advice needed

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Restoration Advice needed

Post by Murrayminor »

Good morning

I'm currently stripping down my 1965 2 door minor with a view to replacing the rot with fresh metal.
Having never worked on a Minor before I have a few questions relating to the order in which parts are replaced.
There is rot in all the usual places, chassis rails, tie plates. floors, sills, crossmember, rear wing mounts etc.

My intention is to mount the stripped bodyshell on a rotisserie to give easier access to the underneath.

Now here is the question:
Is there a preferred sequence to replacing the panels or is it a case of starting from the front and working my way back through the car?
Also when replacing the floor/sill area how does the floor attach to the sill, is it sandwiched to the inner sill and is there a correct way to start on the floor/sill area?

I would be eternally grateful if there was anyone in the North Manchester/Lancashire area who could come to my address and talk me through the process pointing out the do's and don'ts.

Regards

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Restoration Advice needed

Post by mogbob »

Dermot ,
I can see from this post and the others you have put on the Forum that whilst a Morris Minor is " new " to you , you cannot be considered a total novice.
A catalogue from Moss Europe.co.uk , if you don't already have one already will be a useful reference source.
The cross section diagram of the sill area ( 0n Page 74 of the Issue 10 I have ) is probably the one you have referred to in the past. Short of rebuilding a new car out of panels , you will not be able to replicate what left the factory easily. Not all the panels are available anyway. The bulk of what you will need however is available.
Each car's condition is unique but you will find examples of restoration on this Forum. There is no perfect / totally right way/ order to tackle things.
BASICS... you can't weld successfully to fresh air / or dirty rusty metal. You want a solid car at the end of the exercise.
Before you even put the car on the rotisserie weld in cross bracings , door apertures , across body ,etc
Mount the bracing bars sufficiently high so that you can get the welding torch , angle grinder , power file ,etc under the bar whilst working.
Tackle sills / floor area first … you want strength in the core. Only work on one side at a time , so you reference to the other side if you get lost. DON'T cut everything out in one go ! Cut out as little as you , consistent with
finding good clean metal to weld to.
Work out what is more effective , small patch repairs from sheet metal or a prefabricated repair panel. Unless you want the satisfaction of making everything from scratch the ready made will be cost and time effective. Do not believe that some fettling will be unnecessary for a perfect fit.
Take plenty of photographs / notes / dimensions of the section you are tackling. If the work will end up " under the carpet " you can aim for a strong workman or workwoman like finish ( to your standard , after all it is your car ! ). If the repair will be visible then greater care is required.
Take plenty of time to work through the sequence each time , study the car , study the reference material , look at the repair section.
( Not on a Morris but another restoration I did , involved the junction of 7 bits of metal coming together at the base of a "B"post. All bits were rotten to different degrees. I spent a full two days playing with cardboard cut outs trying to figure out in what order to tackle the problem before picking up the welding torch.)
It will all take a while so you can keep on firing questions at each stage.
Work safely and methodically , you'll get there. Sorry I can't pop in , different part of the country but I will
PM you.
Good luck. Bob
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Bob thank you very much for your reply.
I have sat and looked at the way the floor panels are currently welded together and although I can see how some of the panels sit it's the order they should be removed that is causing me to hold back.
I think once it's braced, (the steel should be with me tomorrow) I think I will begin opening it up and see how I go on.
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

Is this of any use?

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

And if you want some inspiration...take a look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25298&hilit=rose+t ... estoration

(The pictures are gradually being replaced. Up to page 5 so far).

Don
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

panky wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 pm Is this of any use?

Sorry I cannot see anything
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I can see a line diagram.

You might have a problem with your computer settings. Have you tried logging in to this site first?

Don
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

don58van wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:10 am I can see a line diagram.

You might have a problem with your computer settings. Have you tried logging in to this site first?

Don
Don

I have checked the posts on my phone and can see the line diagram, thanks you for that, my work laptop may have silly settings.
I think I will order the panels I need and see if I can work out how they are intended to go back together.

Thanks
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

don58van wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:46 am And if you want some inspiration...take a look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25298&hilit=rose+t ... estoration

(The pictures are gradually being replaced. Up to page 5 so far).

Don
I have just read through the whole thread, wow what superb work, shame about the later photographs but it looks as though that is being sorted.
I'm interested in the alignment frame, that looks just the thing for the front end repairs, I wonder if the club own such a device?
Who would be best to ask I wonder??
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Well I have ordered complete sills for both sides and also the tie plates and front Crossmember.
I will mock the sills up and see how that corresponds to the car.

Although I have braced the interior I still have the door aperture to brace before I begin my measuring and cutting.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep you updated on my progress.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I'm interested in the alignment frame, that looks just the thing for the front end repairs, I wonder if the club own such a device?
Have you seen this recent thread?
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=648495&sid=a1042a4 ... 5b#p648495

The Club spares guy (Bryan, aka sparesman) had one but it has disappeared. I think he would know if the Club owns one. It is possible, I suppose that one of the branches might have one. It might be worth starting a new thread in Wanted and see what turns up.

Note that there are some very precise key dimensions stated in Taupe's thread, including some that you won't find elsewhere.

Don
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

don58van wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 am
Have you seen this recent thread?
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=648495&sid=a1042a4 ... 5b#p648495

The Club spares guy (Bryan, aka sparesman) had one but it has disappeared. I think he would know if the Club owns one. It is possible, I suppose that one of the branches might have one. It might be worth starting a new thread in Wanted and see what turns up.

Note that there are some very precise key dimensions stated in Taupe's thread, including some that you won't find elsewhere.

Don
Don

Good idea regarding the wanted thread, it may jog some memories.
I have contacted Bryan.
Yes having read through the thread I can see the detail of the work and precision required, to be honest it all looks a bit daunting.
I think I shall take things a bit at a time.