Work on van

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Work on van

Post by irmscher »

Good investment :)
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My van is booked in at another garage to have things put right from last garage. When I phoned the last garage one of the workers said he would get the owner to call back. A member of staff rang back as he didn't know where the owner had gone. They are totally useless. :(

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sorry to hear of these woes. After all you've been through I'm thinking you might be best off cutting your losses with that first garage and let the second one get your van back on the road so you can enjoy it. Good luck anyway.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I got the van fixed today I dropped it off just after 7 this morning at other garage and picked up after work today.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I think most garages are the same nowadays :evil:
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

The garage where i had the mechanical bits are good not where I had the bodywork done as the bits he finished last August are already going rusty. I repainted underneath and keeping an eye on the front which he finished in March and only two small bits were going rusty.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I had a body off respray on a Spitfire 6 months ago and now its full of micro blisters everywhere :evil:
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My vans going back to the restorers this afternoon as I had trouble starting it which I have fixed. I started it a little while ago and drivers headlight and indicator is not working but only briefly so I know its not the bulbs. There is loose connections somewhere but going to get garage to look at it as they took all the lights out. I am getting peed off with it and now I know it should have been scrapped as rust is appearing on the body and new panels he finished in March.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Seeing you service your engine yourself, why not have a go at checking the connections ? There are some helpful electrical guys here if you have questions, and as you’re fed up with all the hassle with these garages, it must be worth doing.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I took it where it was restored as they fitted the lights and found two loose connections and fitted new ones free of charge while i waited and only took ten minutes and had to leave ignition on to do indicator and I noticed the fuel pump was clicking away very fast. I went out in the van yesterday and when I got home there was a smell of petrol and there was petrol leaking from the pump. i have looked on Morris spare parts websites and none are like mine.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

Today I noticed the ignition light was slow to go out and now wont go out have the voltage regulator and dynamo is giving trouble so have ordered new ones.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Have you checked the fan belt?

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

It was the regulator I put the new one and light went out. When I ordered the new regulator and dynamo he said I will have to take pulley of my old one as new one does not have one and it does not fit so I will send new one back.

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Can we see some pictures to see how you're getting on?
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I will try and get some photos sorted out in the next few days I have just got to sort the fuel pump out

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

Photos
IMG_0329.jpeg
IMG_0329.jpeg (880.11 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
IMG_0328.jpeg
IMG_0328.jpeg (937.45 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
IMG_0327.jpeg
IMG_0327.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 7488 times
IMG_0326.jpeg
IMG_0326.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 7488 times
this was when I got it back and still a few jobs to do.

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

That looks absolutely stunning!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I had a new fuel pump and fuel pipe fitted today all was well until I got home when I put van in the garage and smelt petrol so I opened the bonnet a petrol was pouring out of the carb so switched off and was not leaking when I got home. I phoned the garage and he said give the carb a tap so I did and it stopped leaking. I left it half an hour and it did it again. I went to the garage to fill up the can I had just put in the van and when i got home the van started no leaks from the carb but strong smell of petrol and when I looked underneath the petrol tank a pool of petrol that was leaking from the pipe he had fitted. I have now got to take it back for him to fix it. It was not the garage that did the other work on the van. I was offered £500 for it and wished I had taken it.

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Has he fitted a proper SU pump or some sort of aftermarket one? The aftermarket ones often run a couple of psi higher which can overcome the float valve, a new viton tipped one will often work, if not probably need to fit something like a filter king regulator set to around 2 PSI.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I got a proper SU pump. I took it back today and he took pipe off tank and refitted it and now seems fine and he said they sometimes a bit of a fiddle to get them to seal first time as I know other people who has had the same trouble.