my baby is gone :(...and now found!!! yippeeee

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by grumpygrandad »

they are very happy to take your money, but its a different story when you put a claim in, grandad
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

well my insurence premium was £580 whitch is cheap concidering im only 18 and that was baced on my car being worth £1400 as an agreed value...i didint think id ever have to make a clame as any repare work i could get my boyfriend to do as hes a car restorer and sprayer boy!

i havent even filed to make a clame at the moment...iv just informed them that its been stolen...i dont want the money i want my car back!!!

amy x
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If only everyone would fit a secret petrol pump switch - it would cut the 'stealing' by half. Ok - a very determined thief will still tow it away or put it on a trailer, but most are just taking it for a ride. I would say never leave anything of value in a car with such simple locks as a Minor - it's just asking for trouble. Agreed value - well, it would have been up to you to supply the valuation certificate surely, not the insurance Co.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

dunno...they said they'd send someone round?

and if i get it back i think a petrol pump will be a valuble investment!!
iandromiskin
Minor Fan

Post by iandromiskin »

bmcecosse wrote:If only everyone would fit a secret petrol pump switch - it would cut the 'stealing' by half.
I was told taking the rotor arm from the distributor works too if your storing a car long term.
Gertie, 1962 Saloon, Milly, 1969 Traveller (ex APL 971H) and now KAS 1958 4 Door Saloon.
[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/DSC_0051-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/Picture112.jpg[/img][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/Picture366.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnDuQIOtYcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuhsoEd1GhQ
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Short term too, though it's a pain to do. Removing the king lead is slightly easier, and just as effective
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But often leads to dirty hands. Secret switch for the pump - only you know where it is, normally inside the car, so clean and easy to do. I parked in Biggar yesterday - returned to car a few minutes later -and drove off only to splutter to a halt 100 yds down the road! Yes - I had forgotten to switch on the secret switch.
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got a secret switch and a battery isolator they will have to put mine on a lorry
[sig]5641[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The pull start seems to baffle most people! :D They put the key in turn and wonder why nothing happens!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

A gun club sticker in the window works wonders.
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/Ghostrider117/sig.jpg[/img]
http://www.freewebs.com/moggytech
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

gun club sounds fun...maby i'll try that one if i get it back :)

xXx
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

bit of good news...ish...my moggies been valued at £2k witch is £1600 more than i payed for it!

if i dont get it back then i'll be ably to get another.

amy x
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

We had just got used to seeing your Moggie in Penzance, so we're very sorry to hear it's gone (bit worryingly close to home too!) Hope you like the replacement just as much.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - where DO these stolen Minors go ? Hardly worth stealing them to break for spares - are they just stolen/trashed/dumped in a quarry for a laugh? Do they get a new identity ?
Please all - fit a secret fuel pump switch (and USE it) - and not in the obvious place !
ImageImage
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

bmcecosse wrote:So - where DO these stolen Minors go ? Hardly worth stealing them to break for spares - are they just stolen/trashed/dumped in a quarry for a laugh? Do they get a new identity ?
Please all - fit a secret fuel pump switch (and USE it) - and not in the obvious place !
Have you posted how to fit one somewhere on the site please?

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

It'll just be a switch inbetween one of the wires going from the fuse box to the fuel pump I expect Squiggle. The wires come through the bulk head where the passenger sits in the front. You could take the wire elsewhere (ie into the boot) on it's way from the fuse box to the fuel pump and put a key switch, toggle, push button, key pad with code anything. I think this is what Bmc means anyway. I'm sure someone could explain it better. :)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

He does. Just make sure that the switch and wires are of a high enough amp rating.
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

bigginger wrote:He does. Just make sure that the switch and wires are of a high enough amp rating.
And how do I know they are? :oops: :oops: :oops:

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Serously? It'll be written on them/the packaging when you buy them. You'll need to work out the motor's ampage first though.I'll try to do it later if I get time on the assumption that the late and early models had the same pump
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - but the wiring and switch location must not be too obvious! You must choose where to put the switch - and make it so a quick look under the bonnet doesn't show the new wires going to/from the fuel pump!
The point of this mod is - the car still starts ok and thief drives off - and then 50/100 yds down the road it splutters to a halt. Thief is most unlikely to start fiddling with it - and will likely just run off leaving the car very obviously out of position.
ImageImage