my baby is gone :(...and now found!!! yippeeee

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
amy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by amy »

well im going to speek to the insurance company tomorrow and see what happens now. i was going to use the money to do al the things i want done to it. i'll update this though and see how it goes.

im just so happy i have him back!!!

xXx
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

nice that you have your car back dont expect any one will be caught for this. even if they were probably only get a slap on the wrist, preferably with an axe, grandad
moggiemadman
Minor Fan

Post by moggiemadman »

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Excellent news amy

Cheers
John xx
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

just spoken to my insurence company, they said there'll be someone round to pick it up in the next 5 working days, to which i protested "no, i want to keep it" so they said they'd see what they could do seeing as iv already accepted the pay-off cheque.

expect i'll have to buy it back...oh well...at least i have him back!

xXx
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

scrap that last one...im in fluds of tears now cause iv just been told i dont get to keep him and that its not my property anymore (even though i havent signed anything saying its theres) and that its going up for auction in like 2 weeks...i am NOT impressed :(

x
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Find out where it's being auctioned off... you have the cash? You may get it cheap. Best of luck. :)
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I think it's unlikely to go for a high price at a general car auction - hopefully a lot less than the insurance payout you received.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Seems mad they would go to all that fuss - it will be worth £50 for scrap - not much more. Why not offer them say £200 for it where it lies ? This saves them collecting, and you can presumably tow it (or even drive it) home. But I say again - it may not be worth repairing and you may do far better buying a ready to go car, and just forget this one.
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Why £200? My inclination would be to offer the entire payout
croft
Minor Fan

Post by croft »

Hi Amy, this happened to a mate of mine. His car was stolen and after a lot of leg work by himself he found it. It was badly damaged but he still wanted it back, it had belonged to his grandad and his father! by the time he found it, the insurance had payed out, much the same story as yourself.
Now for the Bad news, once an insurance company has issued a cheque, even if you have not cashed the cheque they have some sort of legislation on there side for them to take ownership of the vehicle. However! my mate was insured through a local agent, who was very helpfull and was able to find out the procedure for him.
Basically the insurance company have national garages, braker yards etc who they have contracts with. It is to them you will need to get in touch with and try to agree a price to buy it back. Speak to your agent or broker and see if you can find out who it will be going to. As one of the other posts says, it will be cheaper for the recovery firm to sell it to you rather than come out to pick it up. My mate ended up dealing with a firm in Manchester who agreed to sell him his car back for scrap value.
Sorry to be so long winded! but insurance claims are difficult as you are finding out! Hope its been of some help to you.
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

Amy - we had a look at the classic car garage in Rosudgeon (Can't get much closer to Penzance than that) today - They have a pretty straight looking 1098 2 door saloon in green ready to go for £1,495 (or perhaps a slightly lower offer!) It looked fine underneath, few rust spots on the body work but basically sound looking - don't know if that's any help?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Out of interest, what insurance company are you with Amy?

If your car cost £400, was insured at an agreed value of £1400 (without a certificate of value being produced), was then valued at £2000 after being stolen and the insurance company paid out £1900 I'd say that you got a very good deal! :o

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" Why £200? " - just a figure I think it will fetch at auction (at very best!) and from the description of the damage to the car - it will take ALL of the remaining money from the pay-out to put it right! In fact - I think it will take more than it's worth to put it right. Hence my feeling is to walk away and buy another.
And sad to say - all this for want of a hidden fuel pump switch. Others should take warning!
ImageImage
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

im desiding at the moment what to do...

iv talked to the auction site (copart) that royal&sun alliance deals with and they said i cant just buy it and that it has to go to auction, which sucks.

the insurence company gave me two options though...eather i keep the money and the car goes to auction and i can bid for it if i want...OOOOORRRR....i give them the money back, keep the car, if they deside its a write off i get £1400 back and have to do the repairs, or if its not a write off i can clame for damages.

i was going to ring the auction place back and see how much moggies usually go for and then deside from there.

im very attatched to my car, its the reason i learned to drive and i lost an entire summer working 60-80 hours a week to buy and insure it and pay for lessons and tests etc. it doesnt run smoothly and it doesnt look amazing but its my baby and i dont really want to loose it again.

im feel very torn rite now.

xXx
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

also alzax3...iv been to look at the green moggie at southwest classics and it looks alright from the outside, but i got inside and got the carpet up and the entire thing looks like its about to crumble.

xXx
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

amy wrote:the insurence company gave me two options though...eather i keep the money and the car goes to auction and i can bid for it if i want...OOOOORRRR....i give them the money back, keep the car, if they deside its a write off i get £1400 back and have to do the repairs, or if its not a write off i can clame for damages.
I think I would go for the second option. Less hassle and risk than having to bid for it at auction. I can certainly understand your wanting to keep the car for sentimental reasons, especially since if it went to auction and you didn't buy it back there's a good chance it would be bought by a scrap metal merchant and turned into tin cans.

I've also seen the nightmares that sometimes lurk under the carpet! :)
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

Amy I think you should do as you said check how much moggies go at auction usually, I think that's your best bet, it seems moggies that are a bit tatty don't get as much money as the insurance gave you GUD LUCK! I understand what you mean by attached to it same thing with my pick-up!

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Go for the second option Amy, at least then you get the car you want. Also it seems you can't loose as either way they will pay out! For a change it's nice of them to be understanding. :)
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

Interesting about South West Classics......All the Travellers we've looked at there have been somewhat suspect too, so I guess they're a company that do good 'quick-look-cosmetic' restoration! Looks like you'd be well to try and keep yours! Good luck Alex
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I'm a sentimental fool (and a very poor one) - I'd be handing the money back and keeping the car...