Another classic car stolen

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
elainemr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Another classic car stolen

Post by elainemr »

Hi, I know that it's not a moggy this time, but it's still someone's pride and joy.

Last Sunday, a pale blue Austin A35, JJV 825, was stolen from a car park in Crewkerne, Somerset. The young owner was given it as a birthday present a year ago and is extremely upset.

As you probably know, we have had a lot of Morris Minors stolen in this area, and unfortunately the Police have no idea at all where they are, or why they are being stolen. Disappointingly the Police don't seem interested in this young girl's A35 either.

Elaine
[img]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/gertie/gertieminor.jpg[/img]
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

YOU CAN BET THEYwould be if they caught him speeding in it,, grandad
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

could he speed it it :D :D :D Seriously though I have just had a quote from rh insurance and they say that because of all the minor thefts they want a steering wheel lock as a condition of the insurance. Why are these prats stealing moggies,they don't have a high value for ringing to sell on,engines and gear boxes are cheap and plentyfull,not like a merc or jag. So what are they doing with them,they dont have a boy racer street image.I'm begining to suspect that some rebuilder somewhere is stealing them to fund his business it does seem to be localised to one area of the country,very strange,I was 30 years in the police and can't remember ever dealing or hearing about a moggie twoc of theft,very strange indeed :-?
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

you could ba right, although amy found hers and it was damaged. grandad,
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Why are these prats stealing moggies
Could be a variety of reasons. The price of scrap is particularly high at the moment but Amy's seems to have been taken by 'kids'. Minors, or any classic car, can be very easy to steal if they do not have any immobiliser / security devices in place. Probably more appealing to the opportunist 'joyrider' as less hassle than trying to break into a more modern car. Minors also seem to have an 'old persons car' reputation that make it a figure of fun to some youngsters. Spotted this article as a case in point:

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/ ... 3A52%3A637

Owners need to remember to take adequate security precautions. Don't just think "no one's going to bother to steal my car".

Eric - 1971 Traveller
elainemr
Minor Friendly

Post by elainemr »

Rosemary's car had an immobiliser and a crook lock and it was stolen from a public car park in broad daylight! I offered the Police my car as a 'trap', but they said their trackers weren't that good!!
[img]http://www.muchos.co.uk/members/gertie/gertieminor.jpg[/img]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Couldn't have been much of an 'immobiliser' - and Crook Locks are useless anyway. Perhaps the best way is to use a wheel clamp ?
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sorry to hear that there seems to be an ongoing problem in your area especially as none of them seem to be found, if classic cars are being stolen in some numbers the local police should be taking some notice and possibly cotacting the local clubs to highlight the problem.
It sounds like you need to take extra precautions as perhaps the local car thieves are used to the normal precautions taken (please don't be specific on here with details use PM's) and possibly take your rota arm with you when you leave the car if its that bad.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Rosemary came round to see us today. She is handing out a laeflet, trying to find her car. The police have been very unhelpful. Somebody said that the car was seen in Yeovil. When the police were told this, they asked how she got the information and what were they supposed to do with it. Arnt our police womderful.<br>Image<br>
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

helpfull police

Post by grumpygrandad »

they dont seemto be helpfull these days, we have socalled police station in our next village but you try to get one when you want one at one at night we had one policeman to cover practicaly avery large area i blieve in excess of 20 villages and sevaral small towns not very helpfull , but maybe i am over critical...grandad
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

A particularly sad story. Has the young lady's Austin been found?

The performance of the police is of no surprise to anyone.

As none of the Minors that are being stolen have been found, as they would probably be if they were being taken by young morons, it seems likely that they are being stolen for their metal content.

We all need to be vigilant.
transitvan1234
Minor Friendly

Post by transitvan1234 »

A slap on the hand is not much of a deterrent if any one can find it I would go and get it back your self before you call the police or I would love to collect it for you and let the police pick up the pieces
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

It's a shame this is still going on - and yes 75% of thefts seem to be in one part of the country.

The police never did take much interest. about 5 years agao one person found their stolen car in a car advert 3 months later (with new ID)
The police phoned the seller to make an appointment to come and look at it..! :o When they arrived the car was allegedly already exported to France and as they could not confirm anything they took no further action.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

stolen

Post by grumpygrandad »

rayofleamington wrote:It's a shame this is still going on - and yes 75% of thefts seem to be in one part of the country.

The police never did take much interest. about 5 years agao one person found their stolen car in a car advert 3 months later (with new ID)
The police phoned the seller to make an appointment to come and look at it..! :o When they arrived the car was allegedly already exported to France and as they could not confirm anything they took no further action.
seems crime does pay and as times seem to get harder as they say it is going to fit a switch to pump, ,,,grandad
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

hello can we assume that you havent got your car back or heard any thing did you get another, ,,,grandad
moggydriver62
Minor Fan

Post by moggydriver62 »

The police dont make any money,for the polititions finding
stolen cars .Its more benificial to write tickets.
Its the same over here
640TMP

Post by 640TMP »

The Austin A35 has been found! This is a link to the Austin A30/A35 Owners Club article. Apparantly it was after a member spotted it for sale at £2000 on a website. After the owner identified it as hers, Worcestershire Police (where the car had ended up) raided the premises, seized the car and also some suspected stolen Minors. The owner was arrested but claimed he bought the car in good faith and was later released without charge. We don't want Jane to be arrested when she is driving again so just to let you know it has been found. A happy end to a sad tale! :D

http://forum.austina30a35ownersclub.co. ... 2&start=15
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

bought in good faith,right , grandad
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

where have we heard that one before :evil: :evil:
wibble_puppy