Preventing a theft

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Sidney'61 »

Using the car daily I really can't be bothered with removing the rotor arm every stop!!
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

Sorry to have to edit this but you dont know who is reading the postings.
Kevin
then it may help stop thefts of your to new classic,,grandad
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

I'm new to classic cars, and suprised at how frequent thefts seem to be.

Why are they a popular target? Is it because they are easy to break in and start, or is it for breaking / scrap value?
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

scrap

Post by grumpygrandad »

new_adventures_of_arthur wrote:I'm new to classic cars, and suprised at how frequent thefts seem to be.

Why are they a popular target? Is it because they are easy to break in and start, or is it for breaking / scrap value?
hello they were nicking classics long before fecent scrap prices started to go up, its very easy to change id on classics just hope that any one getting one pinched gets it back but sadly if they do there never the same again. amy lost hersb found it her self badly damaged not nice...grandad
JuNK512G
Minor Fan

Post by JuNK512G »

Dryad wrote:Well here's an idea for a cheapo tracking device that I plan to use; get a cheap mobile phone, one which goes for a couple of weeks before needing recharge. Set the phone to silent mode. Register it with one of the many mobile tracking companies such as http://www.followus.co.uk/home.html and then hide the phone in your car somewhere. If it gets stolen you can find out where it is to an accuracy of 50m for just £11.99. You just have to make sure you recharge the phone every couple of weeks.
If anyone is using this method, I would be interested to know more, as far as I can tell from the website, the offer appears to be a one off payment of £11.99 & .50p per trace but there are two other packages.
Suggest if anyone is willing to tell me then a pm would be best.
Thank you, Charlie.
[sig]8671[/sig]
Charlie.
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

in this months Practical Performance Car have an article on this method and unfortunately in remote out of town areas it was pretty useless but in town/cities it was much better. They suggest installing a permanent charger to avoid the battery running down.
HarryandDoreen
Minor Friendly

Post by HarryandDoreen »

Another simple thing to do is to add some dummy switches, with electrical cable attached, to the underside of the dashboard. I have eight switches secreted around, two of which control the pump and ignition. If a thief has a fumble around for a switch, he will not know where to start.

The trick is to remember which are the real ones and which are the dummies, otherwise you need to leave an extra half hour to get the girl started in the morning! Not good with a hangover!

Harry & Doreen
[sig]9292[/sig]
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

or you could just do what ive done
that will stop them!!!<br>Image<br>
[sig]9671[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

if some one really wants to steal a good minor then they will simply pull up with a truck dressed as mechanics and lift and winch on to their truck simple

we can only deter the joyriders tho i think if i was a joy rider i woould take something a bit more exotic

trouble is with all devices if they can not get in they will smash the glass, if they can not start it then they will trash the interior
martinf
Minor Friendly

Post by martinf »

try a motorcycle chain and two good padlocks,one to eithera fixing under the seat or the frame,and one to the brake or clutch pedle,difficult to remove in a hurry forceably and easy to remove with the key,and very effective ive had one for a long time now on my old car,not cheep but a lot cheeper than the alternative.
billlobban
Minor Addict

Re: Preventing a theft

Post by billlobban »

In the days of my youth I had a Frogeye Sprite. No door locks so to prevent it being nicked I used a Krooklock which locked the brake pedal to the steering wheel, you can probably buy the same sort of thing nowadays. About as much use as a chocolate exhaust pipe. Someone nicked it (the Krooklock) and left me a note saying he would have nicked the car as well but didnt fancy pushing it to get it started - cheeky git!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The advantage of the petrol pump switch is - the car starts - they drive away - it 'breaks down' 100 yds down the road. They are not going to start looking for hidden switches/figgering out what has gone wrong - or even trashing the car. They have made noise/moved the car - and are now very obvious - they will just LEG IT!
ImageImage
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

Some old timer told me once long ago the easiest way is to take out your rotor and put it in your pocket but don't loose it before you put it back in your dizzy.
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Obviously the rotor arm is a good idea 'cos not many theives will carry spare A series arms in their pocket. The down side is you might lose it. I returned to Glasgow airport once having stupidly put the rotor arm in my jacket pocket in my luggage - you can guess the rest. There are lots of alternative good electrical ideas which we shouldnt really discuss in an open forum.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Electric fence power unit springs to mind! If it's ok for a fence - surely ok for a car?
ImageImage
ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

bmcecosse wrote:Electric fence power unit springs to mind! If it's ok for a fence - surely ok for a car?
I like that one the best!!
That will keep the [Don't swear or you will be banned - Admin] ant creeps (sorry yank speak) away!
SteveandKelly
Minor Fan

Post by SteveandKelly »

I'm using a Predator drone and two 4 man SAS squads, car is still there...... :D

ADO16
Minor Fan

Post by ADO16 »

ADO16 wrote:
bmcecosse wrote:Electric fence power unit springs to mind! If it's ok for a fence - surely ok for a car?
I like that one the best!!
That will keep the [Don't swear or you will be banned - Admin] ant creeps (sorry yank speak) away!
Sorry, sorry, I will button my lip. It just burns me up when someone tries to steal other peoples property. 10 yrs. ago a thief stole my just restored Mk1 Austin Healey Sprite and was recovered 3 days later. I hadn't yet put insurance on it so I lost everything I put into it....a total loss! It would have been my daughters first car.

Steve
SvMinor
Minor Fan

Post by SvMinor »

I always use additional steering locks,but that didnt stop some TO$5£R from burning out 3 cars one night 2 of being mine!

NO Result from the Police.

(Modern cars)not the Minor)

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Just found out today, after owning my car for about 4 months now, what the extra key on my bunch of keys is for :oops:

Turns out there's a key hole in the button on the handbrake, the key fits the lock on there. Turn the key and the handbrake locks and cannot be released. Anyone else got one of these fitted?
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE