A general warning.

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

A general warning.

Post by Blaketon »

I have recently read the following article, which applies equally to Morris Minors, as it does to MGs.

[frame]Image[/frame]

I personally think if anyone is ever caught stealing a car from a show, the exhibitors should collectively knock nine bells out of them :evil: :evil: . Two wrongs don't make a right but neither does an unpunnished wrong. I'm sure the threat of a good going over, from a few hundred classic cars owners, would put off most of these vultures.

I think when we go to events, we should talk to the people either side of us and see who they are; then if someone else starts fiddling with their car, it should stand out.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: A general warning.

Post by MarkyB »

Good point, it's easy to think you are among friends and not worry too much about security.
With public access you need to take the same precautions that you would parked in the street.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I noticed that some of the concours cars at the MMOC had the key left in the ignition. Don't know if this is part of the look or a requirement but would be fairly easy to drive off...
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I'm careful to lock my car if I leave it parked at a show, not just because of the risk of theft but because some members of the public seem to think classic cars are a 'hands on' exhibit.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

alex_holden wrote:I'm careful to lock my car if I leave it parked at a show, not just because of the risk of theft but because some members of the public seem to think classic cars are a 'hands on' exhibit.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you Alex, I once came back to my car to find a Dad in the drivers seat with a Youngster in the passenger seat and when I asked what was going on he said What's it got to do with you to say I was astounded was the least but it was resolved quickly when I asked where his car was so I had somewhere to sit and eat my lunch.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

my friends dad has no windows in his hotrod and while at the local pub he left his phone in the middle out of sight, but when his other friend noticed someone leaning in and taking something he did nothing about it (while he was inside)he just stood there and watched, so make sure your windows are also up :D
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Kevin wrote:
alex_holden wrote:I'm careful to lock my car if I leave it parked at a show, not just because of the risk of theft but because some members of the public seem to think classic cars are a 'hands on' exhibit.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you Alex, I once came back to my car to find a Dad in the drivers seat with a Youngster in the passenger seat and when I asked what was going on he said What's it got to do with you to say I was astounded was the least but it was resolved quickly when I asked where his car was so I had somewhere to sit and eat my lunch.
How come he told you where his car was? :lol:

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b