Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Constantly flooding when trying to cold start

Post by Alice Minor »

Hi guys , from inheriting my late dads car and you guys helping me out I’ve had a pretty much trouble free year apart from 1 breakdown 2 flat batteries and 1 day she wouldn’t start after work , anyway 4 days ago I went to start her for work , primed her as usual and after 2nd turn of the key she was flooded, pushed the choke in and foot to the floor and tried to clear the flood then used the choke again but by the 2nd try the garage was stinking of petrol , flooded again , tried again on the night , same thing , had to charge the battery and tried every day since, final straw was this morning, 2nd try with full choke, no pumping on the gas and she was flooded so had to taxi to work again

Anybody any ideas why she’s flooding that quickly ?
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Constantly flooding when trying to cold start

Post by geoberni »

Have you tried with no choke or a minimum, barely any setting?

I started Basil a couple of days ago for the first time in weeks and he fired in a couple of seconds with 1/4" of choke out, no pressing the throttle until he fired.

You shouldn't have 'foot to floor' to try and crank out excess fuel, because you're inviting more in.
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Good to know that it's been mostly a happy partnership between you and the car :D

The SU carb fitted to a Minor does not have an accelerator pump, so pumping the throttle does not have the same instant flooding effect that other makes carbs might experience. After letting the car stand for a few hours, can you open the bonnet and then switch on the ignition, but do not attempt to start.

Does the fuel pump click a couple of times, or does it click continuously? Looking at the carb area, is there any sign of petrol leaking out? This could be a faulty hose between the pump and the carb, a stuck or leaking needle valve, or a damaged float. There are other possibilities, but this is my "starter for ten" and an easy check to make.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

How is the mixture when running? It could be running far too rich, which will not help starting - especially if using too much choke. Completely blocked air filter?

Is there a spark for it to even try to start?
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

geoberni wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:35 am Have you tried with no choke or a minimum, barely any setting?

I started Basil a couple of days ago for the first time in weeks and he fired in a couple of seconds with 1/4" of choke out, no pressing the throttle until he fired.

You shouldn't have 'foot to floor' to try and crank out excess fuel, because you're inviting more in.
Hi there hun

During the summer she’d start with either no or very little choke but usually stalled although she’d start again she’d just keep conking out so I got into the habit of beginning with half choke and work it out over from there as and when she needed it , during January and February this year I was having to pull it out fully cos even 3/4 choke she was only spluttering so I know I wasn’t over choking her. X
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The needle valve in the float chamber isn't sticking open is it?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

When was this car last serviced? These cars need to be maintained to operate properly. Over time, cars get harder to start if plugs, points etc. are neglected - and if it is hard to start because of this, flooding is likely as the engine churns over. A dirty, clogged air filter can cause the car to run rich and this may lead to flooding, especially when using the choke.
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:32 pm When was this car last serviced? These cars need to be maintained to operate properly. Over time, cars get harder to start if plugs, points etc. are neglected - and if it is hard to start because of this, flooding is likely as the engine churns over. A dirty, clogged air filter can cause the car to run rich and this may lead to flooding, especially when using the choke.
Hiya

The car was fully serviced in July , everything was done , if I’m honest I love the car to bits but detest using the choke from cold cos I always think I’m gonna flood her but I know I have to use it otherwise she’ll not start properly
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

oliver90owner wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:08 pm How is the mixture when running? It could be running far too rich, which will not help starting - especially if using too much choke. Completely blocked air filter?

Is there a spark for it to even try to start?
Hi there

Thx for the help hun , I’m gonna get changed out my skirt suit and heels when I get home and into my overalls and have a look at her , gonna check and make sure she has a spark , I was thinking of having a try at starting her without choke just incase it’s using choke that’s causing the issue but she’s stood for 4 days , although the temperature is 14 degrees today , worth a try do you think ??

Alice x
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Matt wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 pm The needle valve in the float chamber isn't sticking open is it?
Hi

I’m not that technical , all I know is when she’s cold I need to use the choke to start her although I hate using it as I’m always worried I’ll flood her , 1 day she was fine the next she won’t start but floods very quickly

Alice x
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

If the ignition is on, the fuel pump ticks rapidly to get fuel to the carb and then it should stop. If it keeps ticking, albeit at a reduced rate the valve is probably partially sticking open.

If you take the air filter off, and hold the throttle open you might even be able to see the fuel coming in to the carb (if its not ticking, don't bother, you won't see anything).

Wetness around the bowl attached to the side of the carb is another indication that the valve may be sticking
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

It does sound like you are over using the choke. I would try starting with either none or maybe 50%choke. I have never pumped the throttle on start up but gently press down to give it a little more until it fires up. I know pumping is recommended on some newer cars but as above it is not required or needed on a minor

Once it fires I generally push in the choke by at least 50% unless it's really cold and then look to push it in as soob as its moving. You have to run a while longer if it's cold on choke
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

mowogg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:37 pm It does sound like you are over using the choke. I would try starting with either none or maybe 50%choke. I have never pumped the throttle on start up but gently press down to give it a little more until it fires up. I know pumping is recommended on some newer cars but as above it is not required or needed on a minor

Once it fires I generally push in the choke by at least 50% unless it's really cold and then look to push it in as soob as its moving. You have to run a while longer if it's cold on choke

Hiya

Thx for the advice, after inheriting Lucy last year after my dad passed away I was a total novice, didn’t even know she had a choke, had some great advice from a few guys on here and had pretty much trouble free motoring since, the last day I used her she started 2nd try on half choke and was absolutely fine , 9 hours later after work she started again 2nd try with half choke ,she’s never been a 1st try girl , no idea why but 90% of the time it’s 2nd try next morning I gave her half choke and after the 2nd try she hadn’t started but was totally flooded , I did push the choke in and try her but nothing, I probably tried 7 or 8 try’s in total with the choke at various settings then left her alone and got a taxi to work

So basically I did nothing for the first 2 try’s that I don’t every other day only she won’t start and floods

Alice x
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

simmitc wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:41 am Good to know that it's been mostly a happy partnership between you and the car :D

The SU carb fitted to a Minor does not have an accelerator pump, so pumping the throttle does not have the same instant flooding effect that other makes carbs might experience. After letting the car stand for a few hours, can you open the bonnet and then switch on the ignition, but do not attempt to start.

Does the fuel pump click a couple of times, or does it click continuously? Looking at the carb area, is there any sign of petrol leaking out? This could be a faulty hose between the pump and the carb, a stuck or leaking needle valve, or a damaged float. There are other possibilities, but this is my "starter for ten" and an easy check to make.

Hi there

I’m sure I replied to this but can’t find it , yeah I’ve had some fab fun in Lucy over the past 11 months or so , such a shame COVID-19 has spoilt it , and yes pretty much trouble free as well , couple of flat batteries, 1 breakdown while driving and up till this event I think 2 no starts, 1at home and the other after work, the fuel pump ticks fast when ignition turned on and gets slower until eventually stops then I half choke her and after 2nd try she’s flooded
Gonna have to ring a garage I think 🙁

Alice x
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If the pump stops ticking and there's no sign of petrol prior to attempting to start, that suggests that the fuel pipe, float, and needle valve are probably all OK.

I'm going to go off at a tangent: How old is the battery? Does the engine spin really fast when you try to start, or is it a little slow? Last year I had a Minor that was sometimes difficult to start, and after a few turns f the key, the plugs were wet with fuel. Battery showed good voltage, but the starting sounded slow. On checking, the battery was nearly seven years old. Swapped for a new one and the car returned to starting first time every time. You mention a couple of flat batteries, so I am wondering if that's where your problem lies. Quick test: Switch headlamps on and try to start car. Do the lights go dim, does the engine turnover really slowly?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

That's a really good tangent to explore.
If the battery is weak and trying hard to turn over the engine, the terminal voltage will drop considerably, thus resulting in a poor spark.

Though I noted on Wednesday you said you had charged the battery. :-?
Did you try to start it right after you had removed the Charger?
Basil the 1955 series II

Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

geoberni wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:43 am That's a really good tangent to explore.
If the battery is weak and trying hard to turn over the engine, the terminal voltage will drop considerably, thus resulting in a poor spark.

Though I noted on Wednesday you said you had charged the battery. :-?
Did you try to start it right after you had removed the Charger?

Hiya

On Wednesday morning after disconnecting the charger I did try her , probably 5 or 6 try’s, she seamed to spin over nice and quickly just failed to start , she flooded quickly as well , I began with half choke but increased it to 3/4 and full without any joy , and again left her and got a taxi to work , is it possible I’d have more luck getting her going if she was push started or tow started ? , I’m running out of options and patients to be honest 😂

Alice x
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Just to finally rule out the battery, can you charge it but then disconnect the charger and leave the car to stand for 12 hours. Then check the voltage with a meter and try the tests with the headlamps on and see if it still spins fast.

Once that's done and we know that the battery is OK (or not) then let's be sure that the ignition is working correctly - if there's no spark, then it won't start but will suck petrol through the carb. Make sure that there is no petrol around, remove the centre HT lead from the dizzy, leaving the other end connected to the coil. Wedge the loose end about 1/4 inch from the block or other good earth point. Get an assistant to turn the key. With the ignition on and engine spinning, is there a good bright spark between the end of the lead and the earth point?

Test and report back, these cars are renowned for their readiness to start, so there must be a reason why it's reluctant, and we will find it.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Totally agree with the above - it will be a simple issue. Alice - you say it’s flooding, but are you sure? Have you taken a spark plug out after it’s failed to start to check if it’s soaked in fuel? I ask because as was mentioned before, the design of the carburettor on Minors means they are actually really unlikely to flood the engine and I wonder if the problem with your car is actually something totally different. And even if you haven’t totally mastered the art of using the choke ( a lot of people were terrible at it when they were commonplace!) Minors are normally pretty forgiving and would start up and just run a bit badly if you’ve got the choke in the wrong position.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If it is flooded you will need to take the spark plugs out, and let it all dry out, I usually warm the plugs up with a hot air gun and spin the engine over without them in for 15 or 20 seconds but while it's still reasonably warm you can just leave it overnight with the plugs out.

Also do you know if it still had the SU pump or an aftermarket one? I had a very similar problem with ours which had an aftermarket pump, fitting a fuel pressure regulator fixed it.