Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag-gered
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Front rebound buffers

Post by stag-gered »

Hi,

My query is one of rebuild timing for replacing the front rebound buffers (lower bump stops). The engine is currently out of the car. The arm of the shock absorber needs to be raised in order to remove the buffer from the inner wing (the bolts are already removed). My attempts to raise the suspension without the weight of the engine simply raised the whole car. Should I wait until the engine is back in place, in which case I can raise the suspension and arm to manoeuvre the buffer out from the wing (and the new one in) or is it that the shock absorber has to be removed anyway. If the latter, I may as well crack on with it now.

Thanks for your help.

Stag-gered
simmitc

Re: Front rebound buffers

Post by simmitc »

If you have an accomplice handy, then the weight of a person sitting on the front cross member (if the panel is off) will be sufficient to allow you to jack up the suspension and remove/refit the stop. A couple of 25KG bags of sand would also work, or just wait until the engine is back in. It should not be necessary to remove the damper.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Personally I would just wait until you have the engine back in place. 8)

stag-gered
Minor Friendly

Post by stag-gered »

Thank you both for swift responses and answers my question. Engine due back hopefully this week, so will put it in before replacing the buffers.

Thanks
Stag-gered