starting my moggy

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
iluvmymoggy
MMOC Member: No

starting my moggy

Post by iluvmymoggy »

Hi guys,i've just been buying a 1967 morris minor and have gone to go out in it thismorning for the 1st time and i'm having problems getting it to start and stay running,i've had it started a couple of times but it just splutters and stalls..........can anybody help ?
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Have you made sure the choke is out?
If not it sounds like a fuel flow problem, have you let the fuel pump do a few pumps before turning over the engine?
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
iluvmymoggy

Post by iluvmymoggy »

Hi,call me a dizzy blonde but i didnt realise it had a choke,can anybody tell me where it is and what i have to do with it. ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Knob on the right of the row of switches - pull it out about 30mm and twist it slightly - it should then stay out. Start the car - and then after a a few seconds push it half-way in and after about a minute push it all the way in. Do not hang hand-bag on the knob!
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Look for a black knob on the dashboard with a "C" on it. You pull it out a bit before starting the engine when it's cold, and push it back in when the engine has warmed up. Deciding how much to use takes a bit of practise. The colder the engine is the more choke you will need to start it, but if you use too much that will also cause the engine to run badly and possibly stall. Remember to push it back in as soon as you can because running for long periods with the choke on isn't good for the engine.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

when you pull the choke out the engine speed increaces.once the engine warms up it mught start to splutter when this happens push it in,you should not need the choke on more than a minute or so.
[sig]5641[/sig]
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

iluvmymoggy wrote:Hi,call me a dizzy blonde but i didnt realise it had a choke,can anybody tell me where it is and what i have to do with it. ?

Dont worry, even the most experienced of us do stupid things sometimes.......like yesterday i spent a full 5 minutes trying to start my motorbike before realising i hadnt turned the fuel on!!
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

youngun wrote:Dont worry, even the most experienced of us do stupid things sometimes.......like yesterday i spent a full 5 minutes trying to start my motorbike before realising i hadnt turned the fuel on!!
Reminds me of the time when I had my boss and a security guard pushing me up and down the car park trying to give me a bump start. I'd forgotten to turn off the hidden immobiliser switch...

"Just a bit faster! I think it nearly caught that time!!"
ImageImage
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Absolutely Hilarious :D Please change your Forum Title to 'DizzyBlonde' :D
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Why? She hasn't posted in ages :D
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Damn, we've scared her off!!
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Nah, she went to college.
a
iluvmymoggy

Post by iluvmymoggy »

Hi guys,you havent scared me off and i havent gone to college........lol , i'd just like to thank you guys for all your advice,it did work......eventually,but it took about 5 or 6 attempts before it would start,i was over the moon and then did a totally stupid thing :oops: and left it running with the choke out while i went back into the house to get my handbag......( so i could hang it on the choke ) as 1 of you sugested............ :D ,and when i came back to the car it had stalled,i know now that it had flooded and wouldnt restart,so i left it for an hour,came back to it and it started 1st time,its still taking a bit getting used to using the choke but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it eventually,thanks anyway guys,all my luv......Anita...xxx
iluvmymoggy

Post by iluvmymoggy »

PS:- if i have anymore bother with it i'll let you know........ :wink: , Anita..xx
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

iluvmymoggy wrote:Hi guys,you havent scared me off and i havent gone to college........lol
No, but Dizziblonde did - she was around before the other guy's time though :D
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

if you flood it push the choke in and put your foot right to the floor and start the car .as soon as it fires take your foot off the pedal and then feed in the power gently other wise you could dammage your engine.another little tip if this used to work with my mini and my austin agro awful car during the winter when it gets damp and really cold pull the choke out before you switch it off.then leave the choke lever out then start the car in the morning.this works for tired engines. if your engine is in good order you should not need to do this .it is a drastic measure.
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Pulling the 'choke' on SU carb night before does nothing - except to wash all the oil off the bores leading to excessive wear on start-up. Don't do it. This is an old idea that may have had some small merit on carbs where the 'choke' really is a choke - ie it chokes off the air flow thus enrichening the mixture. On the SU carb ' it doesn't work like that'.
ImageImage
iluvmymoggy

Post by iluvmymoggy »

Hi guys , sorry to bother you again but i left my moggy's lights on last night and when i returned to the car the battery was flat and it wouldnt start , i had a go at starting it with the cranking handle but it still wouldnt start , does it need 2 people to start it like this ? , also do i still need to pull the choke out ? , any help or advice would be truely appriciated......Anita...xxx
iluvmymoggy

Post by iluvmymoggy »

Hi guys , again......lol , what i'm trying to say is , " is it possible for a woman to start a moggy using the cranking handle " , OR is it only possible for a man to do it. Anita....xxx
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

If the battery's completely flat then either charge it up with a mains powered battery charger (best option), jump-start it from another car, or you could try bump-starting it. You probably won't be able to spin it fast enough on the handle for the dynamo to power the ignition with a completely flat battery.

When the battery is recharged you should be able to start it on the handle. I'm sure the car doesn't care what sex you are... :roll: How difficult it is depends on how easily the engine normally fires - my first Moggy's rather tired engine required muscles of steel to spin it fast enough and long enough for it to cough reluctantly to life, but Fenchurch (my traveller) just needs a bit of choke and a couple of smart turns.
ImageImage