Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
winger300
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Empty float chamber

Post by winger300 »

Is it normal for some fuel to leak / evaporate from the float chamber when the car is left standing?

With my HS4 and even my HIF38 after I leave it overnight, there are 1-2 clicks of the fuel pump. If I leave it for a week, it sounds like the entire float chamber is empty, and clicks about 10 times before stopping. But once it's full, it doesn't click any more.

Is this normal? or are some seals gone?
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Fuel does evaporate over time, I get the 2 pump clicks the next day, maybe three or four after a week standing. A fairly common leak point, is the screw bung for the fuel pump filter, as it sits at the bottom of the pump. Easy to check, just run your finger over the bung and feel/smell for a slight leak. I have an HS2 carb, so am not sure if the HS4 has the same connections from float chamber to carb body, another area that can leak on the HS2, is the connection pipe union on the bottom of the float chamber.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - when the engine stops the carb is sitting right above a very hot exhaust - the heat evaporates the fuel. Simple answer - fit secret fuel pump switch (anti theft) and switch it off 100 yds from home so parking up the car with NO fuel in the carb!
ImageImage
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

bmcecosse wrote:Yes - when the engine stops the carb is sitting right above a very hot exhaust - the heat evaporates the fuel. Simple answer - fit secret fuel pump switch (anti theft) and switch it off 100 yds from home so parking up the car with NO fuel in the carb!
Now I really like that idea :D
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i have got that on my traveller works well
[sig]5641[/sig]