Remote Brake reservoir

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DaveC
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DaveC »

Regarding the resevoir kit in question, I eventually returned mine and got a full refund, but no apology or indication of concern from the supplier. The one I have fitted now (from JLH) is far superior, but more expensive. I have had no problems with it though, and it was easier to fit as the pipe is copper.
I'd fit the same again though, as i think that an extra few quid for brake safety is worthwhile :)
zippy500
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by zippy500 »

I like the look of the JHL version with the copper pipe.

Is it possible then to use the easi bleed kit on this?
Willie
Minor Legend

remote reservoir

Post by Willie »

If the leakage is THROUGH the supplied black plastic pipe why is it only on the uppermost few inches. I have just checked mine and there is no leakage at all lower down. There is a slight dampness along the top two inches but the level is not dropping! I tried a new seal etc on my remote reservoir without improvement and decided that the metal clamp was too tight on the plastic reservoir which distorted it leading to leakage FROM THE CAP AREA. Easing the tension on the clamp greatly improved matters. Is there no car which uses a non metallic pipe as factory standard from the reservoir?
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Zippy, you do not need to bleed the header tank. :wink:
Willie, the correct type of pipe is widely available so I see no possible excuse for the continuation of this problem, from someone who should know better :-? :wink:

Willie
Minor Legend

leak

Post by Willie »

I take your point Jonathon but I ask again, are there no cars produced
these days which use non metallic piping in the brake fluid system. The
flexi hoses don't leak do they!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I think most modern cars will be more likely to have rigid pipe as the H/T's are normally integral to pedals and servo unit set up.

minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

jonathon wrote:Zippy, you do not need to bleed the header tank. :wink:
Willie, the correct type of pipe is widely available so I see no possible excuse for the continuation of this problem, from someone who should know better :-? :wink:
I think Zippy meant bleed the brakes by connecting the easy bleed system to the header tank. In other words does cap from the easy bleed system fit the header tank?
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Aha! in which case I don't know, as we do not use the easy bleed system. :o :wink:

minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Still I'm sure its a damn site easier to bleed with the header tank and keep an eye on the fluid level!
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

minor_hickup wrote:Still I'm sure its a damn site easier to bleed with the header tank and keep an eye on the fluid level!
Yes, the header tank makes bleeding easier, as there is also more fluid available for bleeding. There is no cap in the Gunson Pressure Bleed system that fits the tank.
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Thats a shame!! I'm sure I'm not the only one thats forgotten to check the fluid level on the master cylinder before doing that last circuit and pushed fresh air through the lines! Or am I the only one that forgetful/amateur/stupid? :)
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

I had a leaky brake reservoir pipe so i made my own . I got my pipe from a local pipe supplier works fine now
[img]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Or am I the only one that forgetful/amateur/stupid? :)
No you are not I have heard of that being done many times.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

I have what looks like one of said kits on my Traveller. It's been on there since 1993 as far as I know, and there is no sign of any leak or "osmosis" through the down pipe.

Was the pipe material changed more recently to cause the problem?

I can't really see it being a safety issue, as the worse that can happen is that you get brake fluid on your paintwork.

A leak above the master cylinder's own reservoir won't affect braking. All that would happen surely is that you'd need to top up the top reservoir more often.

If you leave it so long between checks that both the top and bottom reservoirs are empty, then you deserve to crash :roll: .
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The other problem with the first design was that it had an exit elbow which was plastic and was prone to fracture.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
DaveC
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DaveC »

the worse that can happen is that you get brake fluid on your paintwork
Not so, as in my experience the pipe also became very jelly like, causing it to crease at at the turn in the chassis box thus cutting off the supply to the master cylinder.

IMO copper pipe is required for this job.
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

As mean as I started this perhaps I should say that I do have a similar kit (larger bottle same pipe) fitted to my my van I run silicon DOT5 fluid that does not harm your pain t na dhas been working fine for several years no change of fliud nor replaced any seals...............the wonders of Silicon DOT 5, does what it says on the tin
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk