Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pascal
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

clutch replacement

Post by Pascal »

Hi,

I'm having my clutch replaced with a complete Borg &Beck kit. Should I get any seals or bushes or gaskets replaced at the same time?

Regards
1970 4-door saloon

dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

There are no seals or gaskets per se... but I'd get the clutch release bearing replaced at the same time - assuming its not included in the kit of course.

Theres a copper bush in the end of the crank but there are differing opinions on whether you should replace this - they're a bugger to get out and dont really wear a lot.
What would Macgyver do..?
Pascal
Minor Fan

Post by Pascal »

What about the cluch relay shaft bushes? Do they tend to wear, and are they simple to replace?
1970 4-door saloon

dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

I would only replace them if there was excessive play in the shaft/pedal.

I've got no history of them being replaced on my car in 40+ years and the history file is very anal about stuff like this.
What would Macgyver do..?
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Last time I replaced the clutch, I discovered the gasket between the Interstellar Overdrive and the Warp engine Injectors was worn. However, after replaceing it, the car still refuses to do anything other than warp factor 0.000000076 or about 90 MPH downhill will a brisk tail wind. :wink:

On a more serious note, it is worth checking the condition of the engine and gearbox rubber mountings for signs of splitting, and the oil seal at the rear of the gearbox.
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

If you do replace the clutch cross shaft bush get a polyurethane one as they are harder wearing than the rubber ones & oil resistant