Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David53
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

New Engine & Box

Post by David53 »

I just picked up this 948 engine and box on Ebay for $200AUS - about 80 UK pounds. Bit if a bargain I think! I have been looking for one for a while to give me a little project to rebuild and have ready in case my original 803 ever goes "bang". I wanted to rebuild a 948 as the 803, whilst original, is a little too weak for much of the driving I am doing, and if I do it right only a very close inspection will reveal the difference.

Couple of questions - will any of my 803 ancilliaries be ok to use with the 948? (Dizzy, Carb etc)

Unless the compressions are top notch I plan to rebuild the engine fully which will give me something to do over the next six months. I have a question re: The gearbox. This is a later box with the remote gearchange. Is it possible to simply remove the remote and fit the long throw gearstick from the 803 box with little or no major surgery? I would like to keep the look and feel of the car original inside.
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
MColes
Minor Legend

Re: New Engine & Box

Post by MColes »

David53 wrote:I have a question re: The gearbox. This is a later box with the remote gearchange. Is it possible to simply remove the remote and fit the long throw gearstick from the 803 box with little or no major surgery? I would like to keep the look and feel of the car original inside.
Yes. As you say, swap over the remote housing and the longer stick should just slot straight in.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The oil filter will always give you away! And if you use the 803 carb/dizzy you will strangle the 'power' ( :roll: ) of the 948....... As above - the rear extension just swaps over - the 948 box is a MUCH better box! Now you just need a final drive with a decent ratio !
ImageImage
win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by win »

Hi
I think you may have to fit a 6mm spacer between the main box and the extension tube.
Measure the posistion of the gear selectors on both boxes with the extension tube off, and compare.
I have a 1098 box fitted with a long gear stick.
With the long gear gear stick extension fitted, without gear stick, check the selector rods do not foul the extension casting, when selecting 1st or 3rd.
Win
South Yorkshire
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

anyone have any pics on how to do this?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Contact John Evans who does the gearbox/lever conversions for advice. 01292 465256, 07776 381520
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ask callyspoy on this forum - he did it without any major machining.
ImageImage