Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Forward planning for supercharging 1275

Post by GeorgeHurst »

forgive me, but what exactly is detonation - premature detonation of the air fuel mixture from an overly high compression ratio?
I have an HIF44 carb which I would use for it, the Jonspeed and Vmax kits both use these so I'm going on that as a recommendation.
That's good to know another person who has experience of supercharging a Minor, so that's GAS and superchargedfool. Not in anyway to challenge the work of GAS, but I am going to go for blow through rather than suck through as I don't much like the idea of the fuel in the supercharger (though clearly it is fine in practice as Vmax etc use it), but this just puts me off!!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_cc8J0k3xY

Also, I have read that an intercooler set up is better, and also that the carb can often freeze up on suck through systems. Going for blow through also gives you the option of reverting back to n/a without too much fuss, so if the pockets get tight or the charger pack ups all is not lost :D
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I strongly advise against......... If you do - you need the special Turbo version of the HIF 44 and a high pressure fuel pump. The intercooler is more important with Turbo installations - where the ingoing air picks up some heat from the Turbo - but of course ANY air compression does result in temperature increase - Combined Gas laws!!
ImageImage
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

Yes I read that a high pressure fuel pump would be needed, and possibly a fuel pressure regulator also.
What makes the Turbo version of the carb different to the HIF44? Presumably a standard one could be modified with different float valves/jets etc?
I'm yet to fully read what Vizard has to say about the matter, but looking forward to spending some time digesting it this weekend.
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

You need a high pressure pump & regulator for a blow through carb as the float chamber is also pressurised. normally aspirated fuel pressures are around 1.5 - 3 psi If you then add say 10psi of boost the fuel pressure will need raising above this to feed the carb.
One other difference with the turbo carbs is the addition of a clip around the dashpot to stop the damper blowing out
[sig]7538[/sig]
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

aha thanks for that Mogwai. With all this reading I'm doing about forced induction I'm starting to think I might try and go turbo for the time being as it's going to be a while before I can afford to supercharge...
I just don't want to destroy the engine! There's so much balancing/tuftriding/blueprinting/new bearings etc etc to consider, I think I have to tell myself to calm down and stick to n/a till I can afford to do forced properly!
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Turbo HIF has quite a few differences - not really practical to modify a standard carb. I'm not aware of ANY Mini applications where they use a blow-through system with the Eaton scharger - all suck through I believe. Good plan to go n/a first and get the car running!
ImageImage
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

haha indeed! I have a habit of getting ahead of myself when it comes to my car!
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>