Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dryad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Steering arm removal

Post by Dryad »

Just bought a pair of new swivel pins (king pins) and need to transfer the steering arms from the old pins to the new ones. My guess is that it's quite difficult to do without ruining them. Is there a way of doing this without damaging them, or should I have bought two new steering arms as well... :roll:

Mogwai
Minor Addict

Re: Steering arm removal

Post by Mogwai »

these work :wink: just support it firmly in a vice
http://www.thorhammer.com/Hammers/Copper/

Failing that if its extremely tight your local garage may be able to put it on their press
[sig]7538[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Apply heat, use big vice and very big hammer...
Usually this will dome the end of the thread, so it is possible to remove the domed part of the o/d with a grinder and still leave enough thread for full engagement of the nut.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I did this yesterday....

Put swivel in vice, left nut on the end and beat 7 shades of **** out of the end with a lump hammer. Came free after about 5 blows

I suppose of if the swivel is scrap you could always carefully cut in to it almost up to the taper of the steering arm and split the swivel using a big hammer and cold chisel
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have always bought my swivel pins c/w steering arms
[sig]3580[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you are going to beat on something threaded like this that has a Nylock or castellated nut then take the nut off and reverse it.
Wind it on until it is flush with the threaded bit and beat away taking care that the hammer strikes nice and parallel to the "face".

The stronger the support for the piece is the better effect your blows will have.
Don't be shy, short SHARP shocks will win the day.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Matt wrote:I did this yesterday....

Put swivel in vice, left nut on the end and beat 7 shades of **** out of the end with a lump hammer. Came free after about 5 blows
This is the method I used, only I had to use 9 shades of ****! :lol: It ruined the nut but the thread on the arm is fine. Cheers for all the suggestions, chaps. :D

aseriesade2
Minor Friendly

Post by aseriesade2 »

:D Always remember wear eye protection when hammering (i hate to nag everyone)!! But I speak from recent experience, cost me a trip up the hospital last month to have my eye frozen and a metal splinter removed from my eye not a nice thing I can assure you (i wouldn't recommend it), all I was doing was hammering some seized parts apart :( !!

Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Good advice re: eye protection. I've never had metal splinters in the eye (yet!) but many years ago I had 'arc eye' which is very painful - imagine having undiluted shampoo put in both eyes and you have an idea what it's like.

On a different subject; I damaged the nuts for the steering arms whilst removing them, but I'm having trouble locating replacements from the usual Minor parts suppliers. Anyone know what type/size I need, or where to get replacements?

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i agree with using eye protection but be careful.. i knocked the underside of my car with the goggles, as I forgot i was wearing them. knocking the goggles them moved them on my face and dislodged some underseal which went yes.. straight into my right eye.. only to be told by three doctors down at A&E that I should really wear eye protection when working under a car!
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Dryad wrote:On a different subject; I damaged the nuts for the steering arms whilst removing them, but I'm having trouble locating replacements from the usual Minor parts suppliers. Anyone know what type/size I need, or where to get replacements?
ESM have them listed as 1/2" UNF
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

M25VAN wrote:
Dryad wrote:On a different subject; I damaged the nuts for the steering arms whilst removing them, but I'm having trouble locating replacements from the usual Minor parts suppliers. Anyone know what type/size I need, or where to get replacements?
ESM have them listed as 1/2" UNF
Thanks - I couldn't see them when I looked at the ESM site, probably because I was expecting them to be under Steering when they are actually under Front Suspension. :roll: :oops: