Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ed8die
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

clutch problem

Post by ed8die »

This summer I have been swapping gearboxes between my maroon B 1968 and almond green 1966 minors, as the former had a new gearbox installed a year ago, but its bodywork is in less than pristine condition. The 1966 one morris is going to be the one to keep. Both gearboxes and clutches worked fine before the swap. The gearboxes are both ribbed case, so the correct ones for the engines.

After the swap evrything was fine on the 1968 car, however on the 1966 car I found I couldn’t adjust the clutch enough to give satisfactory performance, a very heavy pedal and I could see that the adjustment rod is under enormous strain when pressing the pedal.

I happen to have taken a picture of the internals of the case just before the swap, before I even knew sth was wrong.
As this is the inside of the offending gearbox bellhousing, can anybody see sth wrong in the picture?
Does it look like sth has been bodged, e.g the cover plate or the clutch fork, or the release bearing?
The only thing I can think of is that the wrong (948) release bearing has been fitted at some time, as the one for a 1098cc should bring the clutch fork farther forward providing more room for adjustment. Any ideas will be appreciated . . .[frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: clutch problem

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum. If it worked in the other car - and you have simply done a like for like complete gearbox swap - it should obviously work again! This assumes nothing else was changed - clutch plate/pressure assembly not removed/replaced/inspected ?? Both engines are 1098 with correct thick backplate and correct 1098 flywheels ?? Something must be out of place in the clutch - maybe the release pad got knocked off it's supports while wheedling the gearbox into position. Take the rubber bungs out and have a good look around inside - otherwise it's box off for inspection I reckon.
ImageImage
ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

Thanks bmcecosse, I have been an avid reader of this forum for a couple of months now and I must say that I have been able to find the answers to a lot of my queries concerning our cars here. So a big thank you to all of you forum members out there.
Hope I can also be of help to someone sometime.

Both cars are LHD now and have been rebuilt from RHD somewhere in the past before I owned them. I have had the rubber bungs out and the release bearing appears to be in the correct position against the pressure plate when moving the rod. Maybe I should mention I have swapped pressure plates and clutches as well. So the combination of clutch versus pressure plate has not been changed either.

I know that before the swap the clutch lever was very near the end of its travel also, but no heavy clutch pedal and no strain on the rod and as far as I could see everything worked smoothly. After the change you needed a very heavy foot indeed to depress the pedal. Really unworkable. Can’t explain the difference but I have already prepared myself for another engine out job to check everything over.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Any chance the plate is in wrong way round ?
ImageImage
ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

nope, checked that, flywheel side right way in.
what about the release bearing in my picture, doesn't that look like the wrong one for a 1098cc engine.
That's the only clue I can think of myself. I concluded this as I have seen the accompanying picture somewhere on this forum, whereby the one on the left is 1098 and the right one is for the earlier 803cc engine. From comparing it to my picture I myself would conclude I have the wrong one fitted. Am I right?[frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - maybe - but it worked ok before on the other car ?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The thrust on the left is a 1098, on the right is a 918, 803, 948. From your 1st photo it looks like you have fitted the wrong one
[sig]3580[/sig]
aetal

Post by aetal »

Wedre you able to find a fix?

I have nearly the same problem. I upgarded to a 1275 when my 948 dev4eloped a rod knock. i wish that I had not doen so after all the work but that is besides the pint.

Now my clutch pedal is extremely heavy and I actaully broke two pressure plates and discs. there is anothe club member who had this problem in feb but I have not found out if he resolved it. He was going to replace transmission.

Mine is a ribcase, I think a 1098 which was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. It worked fine on the 948. I have installed a new 1275 clutch kit

I am wondering if the cltcuh disc plate might be a bit thicker on the 1275 than for a 1098 and might require a shim to give more play for the pressure plate,
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hi - and welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you are in USA ?? The original Spridget 1275 clutches were hydraulic operation - but the Minor mechanical linkage can be used - I believe there is a simple modification to extend the arm slightly which makes for a much nicer operation. The person who knows about this will be along shortly - I'm sure. Meantime - post up your location in your profile - so we know where you are!
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I am that person who knows.
Read my posting on 1969 Traveller, 1275 engine
[sig]3580[/sig]
ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

A bit overdue I am sure, but the problem appeared to be that the release bearing was for the earlier engine
Strange how it did function properly on the other car, they were both 1098cc engines.
Changed the bearing for ther correct 1098 one and the problem was solved.