Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

which 5 speed box

Post by win »

Hi all
I am looking at fitting a 5 speed box, the Toyota T50 was popular, but now seems rare.
The Ford type 9 appears to be the one, does anyone know which models to avoid, if any, and the pitfalls.
I have what I believed to be a Toyota T50, but it is a W50 5 speed box, which looks fairly easy to fit, but weighs 15KGS more than the T50,
does anyone have any comments or info on fitting this box, or any comments about which way to go.
Thanks Win
South Yorkshire
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: which 5 speed box

Post by bmcecosse »

My view is - this is a BIG load of hassle and a standard 1098 engine won't pull a 5th gear very well anyway. MUCH easier (and very much less expensive) to just upgrade to a 3.9 final drive if standard engine - 3.7 if modified.
ImageImage
David Sharp
Minor Friendly

Post by David Sharp »

I ran a standard 1098 (albeit with HIF38 carb.) and Toyota 5 speed for over 18mths. and found it to be a very good combination .Cruising at 70mph was easily obtainable at just below 3000rpm and so much quieter plus better fuel economy.Upgraded to 1275cc.now for even better performance but still maintain that the Toyota 5 speed is well worth using with a GOOD 1098.Hope this helps.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It was hardly 'standard' with that larger carb - no doubt on a much better manifold too! It also depends greatly where you live - if flat land then it will be fine, but if hilly country - no use at all!
ImageImage
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

Thanks for all the comments,
Dave did you record the MPG with the 1100 and 1275.
Dont suppose you had any bits left over, or any contacts.
Thanks.
South Yorkshire
David Sharp
Minor Friendly

Post by David Sharp »

Sorry win,didn't record any mpg figures and no,there are no bits left over. I don't want to discuss this on the forum any more as I am but a humble,ignorant newbie and must bow to the superior intellect of certain "others".Had a lot of help from a local Morris expert to fit the 'box and can tell you more if you wish.Contact me direct.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

do not do your self down dave...

you have experience of the implementation and you can therefore speak from experience.

Please do not feel your lack of posts makes your opinions any less valid.

everyone (and include myself in this) have opinions which they hold very strongly but will always value the opinions of others or this board will be a very boring place
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - the experience of the Toyota 5 speed box is good to hear - did you fit it yourself ? My only comment is that unless the engine has more power - it will not see the full benefits of a 5 speed box. You have confimed your engine is uprated - the extra 5 bhp or so that carb would give makes all the difference - probably ~ 15% increase in power at the driving wheels.
ImageImage
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

David
Please PM me
Thanks Win
South Yorkshire
rmckay1992

Post by rmckay1992 »

win wrote:Hi all
I am looking at fitting a 5 speed box, the Toyota T50 was popular, but now seems rare.
The Ford type 9 appears to be the one, does anyone know which models to avoid, if any, and the pitfalls.
I have what I believed to be a Toyota T50, but it is a W50 5 speed box, which looks fairly easy to fit, but weighs 15KGS more than the T50,
does anyone have any comments or info on fitting this box, or any comments about which way to go.
Thanks Win

hi im rhys im a virgin can you help me
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Hi Win,

I have the Toyota T50 5-spd conversion, and it is a very good box indeed. I have scanned copies of the T50 fitting instructions if you would like them? Please let me have your email address if you do, and I will send them to you.

To fit it to the Minor you need the new bell housing, clutch operating arm mounting bracket, modified propshaft, clutch relay arm bracket (gearbox end), gearbox rear mounting (standard Toyota), special clutch driven plate and the new gearbox rear crossmember. These all came as part of a kit, originally developed by Rooster Racing in Australia, and sold here by Minor Mania in north London, but not for some while now. Mine came with the 1380 engine that I bought about 14 years ago, when the kit was still just about available.

The W50 is quite a different gearbox, and I have not come across one fitted behind an A-Series engine.

The only way to go at the moment seems to be the Ford Type 9, which does have plenty of bits available to make it suit the Minor.

With regard to a standard 1098 and a 5-spd, I have no first hand experience, but on the basis that hills with the standard 4-spd box generally need 4th, 3rd, 2nd or in the extreme 1st, I guess that will still be the same for a 5-spd box with similar 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear ratios? Going up to a 3.9 or 3.7 diff will actually reduce the hill climbing ability in any of the original 4 gears, which fitting a 5-spd with the original 4.22 diff will not! 5th is for 'cruising', and even with a well modified 1380 I have to change down occasionally for a hill!

A final thought - changing the diff doesn't get you synchro on 1st - a 5-spd box does!! Wouldn't have fancied coming up the 48 hairpins that are Stelvio Pass on the MSA Euro Classic in September without it! The summit is at 9,045ft above sea level. Top Gear's 'best driving road in the world' - definitely.

[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

Dean Moriarty
Minor Friendly

Post by Dean Moriarty »

Not sure if this is really any help but I have a the Ford type 9 (Sierra) 5 speed fitted to my '73 Midget. Obviously its a 1275 rather than a 1098cc but the gearbox is beautiful. Not only do you have the 5th gear but its the slickness that really does it. Contrast this to the standard BMC unit on my Riley 1.5 - absolutely appalling in comparison :lol: