Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Danny Roff
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Longer Choke cable woes

Post by Danny Roff »

hi, need some advice on either extending or purchasing an extended choke cable including outer spring case to get aroud my webber and attatch.

a bit of a novice here so forgive the ignorance

thanks

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Longer Choke cable woes

Post by aupickup »

is an ital or marina choke cable longer
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Speedy Cables will fit a new cable to your knob
[sig]3580[/sig]
David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

I must admit, did a bit of a double take when I read that post Mike :o
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by win »

On my series 2, the inner cable is soldered into the knob, I used a bicycle brake cable, to replace it.
The inner cable was desoldered, new one resoldered in.
The old outer was cut off, and the new one reconnected using a 20amp electrical strip connector.
Works fine for me, at the right price.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

David53 wrote:I must admit, did a bit of a double take when I read that post Mike :o
:lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
Danny Roff
Minor Friendly

Post by Danny Roff »

so am i to conclude its best to make one then as a longer one isnt available to buy?

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

I think people just want to save you money! If you want an original early type knob, then the MGA choke is the same but longer or if you just want a generic choke these are also pretty long!

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/search.phtml

or type choke cable into eBay search and take your pick!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Danny Roff
Minor Friendly

Post by Danny Roff »

ok, didnt mean to come off as a little short i appologise

i am unfortunately quite new and quite ignorant to the actual mechanical side of cars and thought that the replacement would be one set piece only compatible with this one motor and someone would post the link to buy it

but as i have found, there are many solutions

thankyou all for your time

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

What type of Weber - and why are you using such a strange carb on a Minor? many Webers operate just fine without a 'choke' (actually a cold start device -not a 'choke' in the original sense of the term).
ImageImage
Danny Roff
Minor Friendly

Post by Danny Roff »

because its loud angry and i can manage a good fuel economy with top end on there too

also it was free aswell as the tremendous technical knowledge of the guy installing it

i also have the su carb so either can bolt on or off as my exhaust manifold is seperate (exhaust is loud and angry too)

i know some people have different opinions on carbs and blah blah but hey each to their own eh? what i want to do is make something a little different and this is one of those steps

the total cost for this little experiment is a new choke cable so im fully prepaired to try it and spend a weekend tinkering with it
with the knowledge that i might fail

but hey id rather try and fail than never know

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 5099&saved

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You still don't say what type of Weber - some are worse than useless on A series engines........... And as earlier - many don't need a 'choke' - just pump the accelerator twice then crank it!
ImageImage
Danny Roff
Minor Friendly

Post by Danny Roff »

im only attatching it to keep engine bay tidy

all i know is the webber is a twin choke 45.

all my modifications are made by mini racers/tuners and so i trust them completely

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - a 45 DCOE works well on a full race engine - for RACING. But expect terrible fuel economy - and unless the engine is highly modified, it really is NOT the carb for a Minor. Doesn't need 'choke' - as explained - pump twice then crank..........
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

nice video, that exhaust sounds throaty! despite the tappety engine!

i've added you on facebook by the way :D
Danny Roff
Minor Friendly

Post by Danny Roff »

Well - a 45 DCOE works well on a full race engine - for RACING. But expect terrible fuel economy - and unless the engine is highly modified, it really is NOT the carb for a Minor. Doesn't need 'choke' - as explained - pump twice then crank..........
YOU KNOW WHAT MATE YOU COULD HAVE JUST SAID...."GET A LONG THROTTLE CABLE HERE...."
OR OFFERED THE HELP OTHERS HAVE ON THE SUBJECT BUT NO, YOU JUST COME FOR A CRITICISM AND TO THROW YOU TUPENCE IN ON A SUBJECT NOT EVEN REQUIRED....I DONT NEED THAT...

WHILE I APRECIATE YOU MAY HAVE A VAST KNOWLEDGE ON THE SUBJECT, I HAVE NO NEED FOR IT SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO NO LONGER POST ON MY THREADS UNLESS YOU ARE :
A. ON SUBJECT
B. ACTUALLY HELPING

I KNOW ILL GET FLAK FOR THIS MAN BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT ITS HARD ENOUGH BUILDING THIS PROJECT AS IS WITHOUT COUNTERPRODUCTIVE COMMENTS...

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I thought it was a 'choke' cable you needed ? Your man with all that experience will surely be able to supply the required item? And I have pointed out to you that a 'choke' is not required with the 45 DCOE - but again I would have expected the man with all that experience to have known that.......
The carb you propose is entirely unsuitable for your engine - but obviously you don't want to know this......
Good luck with it! :lol:
ImageImage
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Hi Danny,

It seems to me that BMC was trying to help in his own unique way, I too am not convinced by your choice of carb but see how it goes once its on the road! Threads on these forums often go slightly off topic so dont worry about it too much, or get upset.

As for the choke, I had a spectuacuarly long one in the old traveller. I think, from memory, that it was from an A40. The other thing is, that as standard the choke cable does not take the shortest route - it takes a kind of L shape - rerouting the cable to come through another hole in the bulkhead may well solve your woes.

Danny Roff
Minor Friendly

Post by Danny Roff »

thankyou, i have actually solved the issue for now and have sourced a longer choke which i will attatch to the webber choke to keep the engine bay tidy

i still have either the original su carb on a manifold and twin su on a manifold to play with so i didnt want to loose the choke completely but i didnt want it flapping around the engine bay either

as i have said before i intend to experiment with performance and economy but also have a little fun too

thanks again for taking the time to offer help on this thread

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

i know you have now got this sorted, but I believe if you put your existing choke in place of the the washer (where it would be on 948cc and earlier) you might be able to get it nearer. and then put the washer switch/pump, near the driver where the choke would have been. you might have to drill a hole however,

Hope that helps
Chris