Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grant Carter
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Bent near side rear Brakes?!

Post by Grant Carter »

Hello there,

I recently had my 1970 traveller MOT'd to find out some information on how much exactly i needed to do, however we have discovered that the rear near side brake is pretty much always on...i loosened up the brake etc but no change....i then had a look from the rear of the car only to find that the brake drum is at an angle (when pushed on correctly) i will get some pictures up asap to show you what i mean! My dad thinks the car may have dropped from a jack or axle stand at some point in it's life.

It would explain why my car struggles to get to 60?

Any help appreciated....and if any members would like to have a look themselves please inbox me because i would really appreciate the help :D
Grant Carter, 18 and owns Merlin 'the magic' Morris Minor :D
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Re: Bent near side rear Brakes?!

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

if you would like people to come and see the car, where abouts are you?
Grant Carter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grant Carter »

Hi, well i mean it's just if people think they might be able to help cos i'm kind of stuck really, Diss, Norfolk IP22 2LH
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If anything like that was 'bent' - I doubt it would run at all. We need pictures!
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Have you checked that the drum is square onto the half shaft? There is one retaining set screw under the brake drum which holds the half shaft to the hub assembly, check that it is tight, and there are two set screws on top of the drum, check that they are tight.
Try removing the hand brake cable from the brake assembly to see if it makes any difference
[sig]3580[/sig]
Grant Carter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grant Carter »

Well it is the plate at the back where the cylinders attach to etc, sorry for no pictures my camera, phone etc have all decided to spite me.... To put it plainly all is not going well in the land or Morris...

Also when the wheel is on and all tightened up it bind when you turn, you can turn it for a few seconds then it will go rock solid and takes a lot of effort to turn...

ALSO

I have been an idiot and greased, what i thought where greasing nipples, but apparently i have been greasing the rear brake bleeders -___-#
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

:-? :D If the bleed valves were not unscrewed then you should not have done any damage. Unscrew the valves and push the brake pedal down to pump any grease out of the valve (if you know how to bleed the brakes).
There is no way that you can bend the axle or drums without cracking them so the back plate must be loose on the axle, check the four mounting bolts and check that the back plate is on correctly.
A few photos would make life easier, can't you borrow a camera?
[sig]3580[/sig]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Is it possible that the flange is bent on the halfshaft? Knocked hard into the kerb or a manufacturing fault?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It is possible for the backplate to be bent - just straighten it! Hit it with a block of timber and a wee heavy hammer....Not the biggest job in the world.
ImageImage