Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: marina/ital

Post by philthehill »

The Marina 1275cc 'A' Plus engine did not have a lip seal fitted to the rear of the crankshaft. The 1275cc Maestro 'A' Plus engine did.

Below is a 1275cc 'A' Plus Maestro engine with rear oil seal converted to fit a Minor 1000.
Maestro engine 4..jpg
Maestro engine 4..jpg (315.28 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Below is the seal carrier plate as fitted to the 1275cc Maestro. For fitment to the Minor 1000 it has to be modified.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Maest ... Sw5cNYfgxl

The 1275cc 'A' Plus engine was fitted in various guises to the BL range.

The BL Austin Morris Repair Operation Manual Supplement AKM4580/1 ITAL 1980 > - only gives details of pistons with three rings fitted to 12V engines.

The supplement is to be read in conjunction with Repair Operation Manual AKD4580. Morris Marina 1978 > - which gives details of pistons with four rings fitted to 12V engines.

For completeness Marina Repair Operation Manual AKD 7555 5th edition gives details of pistons with four rings fitted to 12V engines.

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Thanks Phil a comprehensive answer as always.
I was told my engine didn’t have all the A+ refinements the rear main being one of them and your comment about the interchangeability of parts got me thinking that I was given wrong information regarding said seal.
Just going out to the garage to Tippex a plus sign on my rocker cover :D
Regards John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Put one of these on the rocker cover to really show that you mean business :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Morri ... SwCmFbOTD7

Or even one of these with the stylised A + sticker.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-COOPER- ... SwIgNXkSCm

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Thanks Phil. In reality it will one day get used in my pickup and will be painted green with an Austin decal.
Regards John
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Thank you for all the replies, so the pistons I have are identical to the ones philthehill posted, does anyone know where I can purchase a set of standard rings from or the part number even.
Regards,
John.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The British Leyland (BL) part number for a set of standard piston rings (four rings per piston) as fitted to the 12V....1275cc Marina engine is 8G2671.

I have posted this link because of the reference to different widths of the piston compression rings. See information panel photo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Heale ... SwKytZHbqb

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Thank You.

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Sorry to bore you all to death with this but I recently discovered that a standard 1275 crank pulley will not fit on this engine. Too small.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You will have to enlarge on this as I have been able to interchange crankshaft pulleys between small bore and large bore engines with no problems.
The crankshaft nose is the same whether it be a small bore engine or large bore engine.

If you have a standard 1275cc crankshaft pulley fitted with a timing disc on its rear face that will have to be removed if not using a reduced depth/stepped timing chain cover.

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Hi, I believe the crank pulley/damper is off a Mini 1275 motor so perhaps that's the issue. Measured crank nose and pulley centre, both are 25mm, will not slide on even with a thump with a rubber mallet. Crank is stamped 12G1303A and H38AXA7.
Attachments
031.JPG
031.JPG (160.22 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
030.JPG
030.JPG (180.45 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
029.JPG
029.JPG (181.93 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That damper should fit the Marina/Ital crankshaft without any problems but will need the timing disc to be removed if used with the Minor timing chain cover (1098cc type with lip seal preferred).

Are you absolutely certain that the crankshaft nose and pulley are 25mm.

I have measured both crankshaft nose and similar pulley and they are 25.4mm / 1.000"

What is the Pt No: number cast into the centre of the pulley? Possibly TAM2011.

Sometimes the crankshaft nose and/or the inside of the pulley crankshaft hole needs a light rub over with a fine wet & dry paper to get the pulley to slide over.

I have a good selection of damped and non damped pulleys and they are all interchangeable.

Remove the timing disc rivets, drill and tap the holes and you can use the holes for a puller as below:-
Damper puller 2.JPG
Damper puller 2.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1501 times

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Hi Phil, Thank you for your replies, it does have TAM2011 stamped into the centre of the pulley. It could also well be 24.4 mm as just using a steel rule. Will have a another go after using wet and dry.
John.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thanks for the reply.

The TAM2011 pulley has a 25.4mm hole.

The damper pulley in the above picture with the puller attached is a TAM2011 and has been fitted to both small and big bore crankshafts without problem.