Back Brake Cylinder Kit

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ZimboMM1959
MMOC Member: No

Back Brake Cylinder Kit

Post by ZimboMM1959 »

I am refurbishing my back brakes and notice that a Repair Kit includes the boot, cup and what looks like an "o" Ring. When I pulled mine apart I did not come across an "O" Ring. Can someone tell me where this goes.
taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Back Brake Cylinder Kit

Post by taupe »

Hi

On some cylinders there is an O ring fitted in a groove in the piston, I'm not sure but this may not be present with pattern cylinders.

Taupe
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

There are sort of 2 pistons on the back brake cylinders, the one the brake shoe adjuster sits on that also works the handbrake and a further piston above that also has a the o ring your looking for. Its usually this one that seizes solid and can be difficult to free up. Was looking for a pic online to show you but cant find the right one!

Too many Minors so little time.....
ZimboMM1959

Post by ZimboMM1959 »

Thanks. On this first image. I have an arrow pointing to where I assume that a "o" ring can fit.

What confuses me is the overlap with the gap where the handbrake lever would fit (second image). To me, one interferes with the other. :-?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I can't be bothered with stripping down cylinders, I am going to fit new cylinders when they arrive, a lot less hassle
[sig]3580[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

neither can I ,rear patern one about £13 not worth the bother , for me anyway.Mind original lockheed are about £35 so that could persuade me ,if I was bothered about originality.
ZimboMM1959

Post by ZimboMM1959 »

Unfortunately living in Zimbabwe means that it is more of a bother ordering and posting than stripping and refurbishing, especially as post is so unreliable.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I don't remember ever seeing an O ring on there - can't see how it would work.......
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Isn't there a slot for it on the top part of the piston, the part that the adjuster rests on?
It acts as a dust seal when the cylinder is at rest.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh yes - very thin O ring -certainly on the front cylinders but honestly can't remember on the rears.
ImageImage
ZimboMM1959

Post by ZimboMM1959 »

I cannot see how it would work either, which is why I am confused that an o-ring is included in the brake service kit. I can see where an o-ring will fit on the piston, but to me it looks like it will get in the way of the handbrake mechanism.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sure you have a rear kit - not a front kit??
ImageImage
ZimboMM1959

Post by ZimboMM1959 »

Maybe I am on the wrong track. The link below goes to Rear Brake Cylinder Rerpair Kit at the ESM Morris Minor Spares website. There is the boot, the rubber plunger and then what looks like an 0-ring. I have not odered the kit as I already have the plunger and can get get an o-ring here (if that is what it is), so have just ordered the boot. What I do not know is if the third part is in fact an o-ring and if so, where does it go?? :-?

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 780593e800
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I really can't tell. I CAN tell you that the 'boot' supplied by some these days is hard/non-flexible, v difficult to put on, and easily jumps back off........... :cry:
ImageImage
John159
Minor Friendly

Post by John159 »

ZimboMM1959 wrote:Unfortunately living in Zimbabwe means that it is more of a bother ordering and posting than stripping and refurbishing, especially as post is so unreliable.
I am very curious to know how one might go about freeing up a ceased rear brake cylinder. I have two of them and have the time and patience - if that's what's needed!!!- along with applying pressure to it or whatever. It would be a pity to discard them if they are restorable
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

If you have a compressor then you could try and blow air into the cylinder to pop out the piston. I did make a simple honing tool from dowel and a some fine wet and dry with oil on it to polish the cylinder bore in my pillar drill, it worked ok but if the seal kits don't have the correct seals I don't think it's worth it :-?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

OP hasn't visited forum since 2011.......perhaps Mugabe has pulled the plug on the internet :(

Andy
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The rear cylinder came in 2 sizes - 7/8" diameter originally fitted to Series II and 948 engine cars, and 3/4" diameter fitted to 1098 cars.

I wonder how many 948's still have 7/8" rear cylinders now?
Richard