Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JPJ45
MMOC Member: No

Can't switch wipers OFF... help!

Post by JPJ45 »

Dear All,

I can't turn the wipers off on my 1967 Traveller ! Even though it rains a lot here in the darkest north, it's getting rather annoying....to say the least. As soon as I switch the ignition on with the key, the wipers twitch then reluctantly start to work. This is without the wiper switch being touched and positioned in the up (off) position.

The wiper motor looks quite new and a look under the circular dome of the mechanism shows it to be clean and greased.

So, am i missing something obvious that is easy to fix, or is the new-ish wiper motor duff?? :(

Here's hoping,

Pat Jeater
Last edited by JPJ45 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beero
Minor Legend

Re: Can switch wipers OFF... help!

Post by beero »

Take the wires off the switch, do they stop? If so you need a new switch.

JPJ45

Post by JPJ45 »

Beero,

Thanks for the quick response!

I've tried the switch using an electrical circuit tester and it's OK. It operates OK on an ordinary bulb too.

Pat
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Strange! If the switch works correctly, then power should be interrupted to the wiper motor when the switch is off. That's the only way power can get in. Even if the motor itself were knackered, if there's no power, nothing can happen.

The only possibility I can think of, aside from the switch, is that there's some kind of short circuit somewhere. Can you easily trace the wiring to and from the motor? I suppose the motor is wired so that it's earthed through the petrol gauge? (Really, petrol gauge? Am I interpreting this diagram correctly?)
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Have you just fitted the wiper motor? It may sound silly but have you managed to accidently wire it up to the fuel pump wire? (the white one) It comes out of the loom at the same point as the wiper wires and works continuously on ignition

Fin, it is earthed to the 'E' terminal on the voltage regulator but it gets its power from the line to the fuel gauge as they both work off the ignition fuse
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Interesting! Thanks Sid. At first I was wondering if there might be a fault in the regulator, but then there's the switch in the way. :lol: New to wiring! Maybe I shouldn't give wiring advice...
Pat, definitely do go in and check those wires...something's got to be wrongly connected here.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

So take out the fuse from white to green wires. Does the wiper motor still go?
If so it looks like it is picking up a feed from the white fuel pump wire.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

It may also be something to do with the self parking of the wipers as this remains live to park them even when the switch is off. There is a copper contact inside the lid of the motor, is this making a proper contact with the bit above?

Too many Minors so little time.....
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The wiper motor is live from the ign. fuse with the switch on the earth side. If the wire from the wiper motor has come off the switch it could be earthing and so completing the circuit
[sig]3580[/sig]
JPJ45

Re: Can't switch wipers OFF... help!

Post by JPJ45 »

The wiper motor was replaced by me about 3 months back. The old one just stopped with a wisp of white smoke coming from the motor. The wiper motor had been there since I purchased the car some ~10 years back and had given no problems in that time.

The replacment was bought from Bull Motif. There are just 3 wires to the motor ... #1 is green, #2 is green/black and #3 is black. The black is to earth onto the case of the motor. The other two can't be mixed up as they have specific rubber covers on them that mean one won't physically go onto the teminal for the other. There's a protruding flange on the rubber cover ... if you understand what I mean.

So, the only suggestion that can be meaningful is that for the 'self-parking'. As the motor was bought new, I'm a bit reluctant to take it to bits before I go back to Bull Motif and ask what their advice is!!

Thanks for the help so far. I'll try to update this to tell you what happens

Pat Jeater
Last edited by JPJ45 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The green/black wire is the self parking wire and the self parking is controlled by slackening the wiper motor cover and rotating the disc.
Remove the green/black wire and see if that stops the motor. It will not self park
[sig]3580[/sig]
JPJ45

Re: Can't switch wipers OFF... help!

Post by JPJ45 »

Mike,

Thanks for the information.

I've just followed your suggestion. Removing the green/black wire certainly has an effect. Just not the required one!

Taking the green / black wire away just means that the wipers don't work at all. The effect is the same if you remove the green wire instead of the green / black. In both cases, the black wire was left in situ.

Hmmmmmm, and I thought this was going to work!

Pat Jeater
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Looks like I am going to have to play with my wipers
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

At least you know how to stop the wipers now....... It IS a 'self parking' problem. Try turning the disc under the top plate and see what happens.
ImageImage