Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ronnie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

distributor

Post by ronnie »

hi all , i removed my distributor today for a strip down and clean . What i notice is that the resistance in the rotor springs seems to be different ,as in stronger when out of the engine , when in the engine the rotor spring return resistance seemed a bit poorer than when out , any idea why ??? also when reassembleing would it be grease i use for lubbing the parts
ronnie
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: distributor

Post by bmcecosse »

Can't see the springing being any different! One spring should be heavier than the other - but as long as everything is free to move it will be fine. Light grease will be fine too. What degree of advance is stamped on the centrifugal weight?? And - have you tested the vacuum advance ??
ImageImage
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

probably my imagination about the strength of the spring , the vacum advance works fine , im stripping it to confirm the mechanical advance is free
ronnie
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

You can tell if the mechanical advance is working by using a timing light. Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line. Watching the crank pulley with the timing line (strobe) rev the engine. You should be able to see a nice, smooth timing advance.
1967 2 door coupe, "Mildred"
Transportation with economy, whimsy and heart.
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

cheers for the info , im just wanting to rule out the mechanical advance is not sticking
ronnie
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you do open it up - I would be interested to know what advance number is stamped on the bob weight..... Probably something like '13' - but please confirm!
ImageImage