Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Overheating!

Post by Sidney'61 »

Over the last few days I've found that the radiator is occasionally overflowing slightly and was producing a bit of steam after a run today, the car generally seems to be running fine though. Whats the likely problem causing it to overheat so easily?
Thanks
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Overheating!

Post by les »

Faulty thermostat?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Blocked tubes, get it flushed out
[sig]3580[/sig]
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

I'd go with thermostat myself ... take it out and drop it into a pan of boiling water ... if it doesn't open then it's stuffed & you need a new one.

If your thermostat cover is seized onto the threads it's mounted on then you can try putting two nuts on the end of a thread & tightening them against each other - you can then wind the thread out of the block ... if you don't have any nuts thin enough to get two on there then try tapping it from the side to loosen the crud that collects from the reaction between the steel threads & the white-metal casting of the cover.

Failing that get a new thermostat cover and hit the old one with a cold chisel until it breaks into pieces!

Put plenty of copper-ease on the threads when you re-assemble it ;)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thermostats are deadly reliable in my experience - flush the cooling system out as the first action........and don't fill the rad right to the top - and perhaps treat it to a new rad cap ?
ImageImage