Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: oil leak

Post by bmcecosse »

If you like Teal Blue (and I think it's a great colour!) then just use it, Who cares what colour was issued when......
ImageImage
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Been there, done that.
I've been trying to chase every oil leak since I got my 59 convertible last November. It's been like Captain Ahab chasing the White Whale. All the seals, sump gaskets, head and tappet gaskets, everything I could access without pulling the engine.
I'm down to a few pesky drops on the rear of the sump. I'm calling off my quest. The leakage isn't enough to show up on the dipstick, so I'm raising the white flag.
I'm going to make myself believe that it is coming from the bottom of the breather tube and blowing over onto the sump.
Enjoy the car for what it is, and do as I do: Remember not to park where my wife doesn't want to see oil spots.
David
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

A little oil is chassis lubrication. If it is a large drip then do not park on your friend's new block paved drive.
[sig]3580[/sig]
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

Well Mike its me who has the block paving just the other side of the garage edge (oh oh)Wife would kill me,the oil leak looks like its coming from the sump,it is just on the back plate behind the sump.i think ots running down,is it easy changing the sump gaskets and how many does it have Mike????????????
Pete :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There are two gaskets (one each side) and two cork seals (one each end). easy enough to change - but try 'nipping up' the sump bolts first....
ImageImage
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Jethro leaks at the same places, also the gearbox drain plug, the tappet chest covers and a number of minor water leaks.
Like the guys say, try nipping up the bolts first (it worked with my tappet chest covers) then think about changing gaskets and seals.
I am working my way through the car curing one leak at a time and the forum advice has been invaluable! :D

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

How about making a type of sump guard that fixes between the chassis rails and extends from the front to say the first prop joint, it needn't be that wide, maybe 10inches, made from aluminium chequer plate bent up about 3/4inch along the sides. Using appropriate fixing points and being lightweight it would catch any drips and could be wiped out now and then. It would need a curve upwards at the front to avoid oil being blown off by forward motion. When I'm on the road this is my plan, as there is always a leak from these cars even if it's just a drip every week. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I had exactly such a guard on my rally Minor - made of steel though......the sparks flew far and wide. But an oil cooler becomes essential if you block air flow to the sump.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well there may be a few considerations to bear in mind regarding airflow etc but it needn't be too cumbersome .I think it might be a plan.
Especially if you've got a nice drive :D

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I've got an old concrete drive and a sack of "Kitty Litter". I keep getting Motorway Maintenance trucks turning up offering to re surface it
[sig]3580[/sig]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I can only repeat-use the rubber seals for the sump and not the cork-it's been discussed so many times on here.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan