Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfergirl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

king pins

Post by surfergirl »

Hi guys , anyone got any oppinions on king pins, im trying t fit new ones to my van and am just not happy with the bran spanking new ones that i have. In the past i have always screwed the trunnion on all the way ( bottom one by the way ) then backed it off 1 1/2 turns popped the pin thro and checked there were approx 2-3 turns either way before they stopped. The new one wont do this , i screww them on and do what i normally do and only get about 1/4 turn one way and about 11/2 the other. I have measured the new ones threads and compared them to my old ones and the inner threads seem to be approx 5mm shorter than the old ones. Am i just doing something wrong or am i going mad. I wouldnt feel happy using the new ones as i feel there isnt enough scope for turning , Please help. If its any help the new king pins are from bull mottif, anyone else had the same problem or are they designed differently

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: king pins

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as it can turn 1/4 turn each way - that's plenty for your steering. Pack it well with grease. It will be fine.
ImageImage
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

even if its not even, does that make sense, just dont want it t chew thro the pin and ruin the threads, have had a couple of these go on me in the past its not nice, i dont want t pay out £200+ and it fail on me

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

When steering - it only turns ~ 45 degrees each way. So as long as it can turn freely 1/4 turn each way - it's not going to touch the pins.
ImageImage
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

dont mean t go on but the left side , i get about 1 full turn each way, im happy with that, the right sticks at about 1/4 turn, and goes about 11/4 turn the other way , the two parts seem to be the same, ive measured them and they seem identical, this is the second trunnion ive tried, the first was worse, not even a 1/4 turn. Does the fact that they seem to be 5mm shorter than my old ones not matter. ive never had this problem before when fitting trunnions but then ive never had new king pins before. im begining t wish that id just fitted good second hand ones. i know that the turning arc isnt a full turn and that the steering only moves a little but i cant help but think it feels wrong. Think im going mad now

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How is it if you screw it up another full turn - can you then fit the pin?
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Although I don't quite understand what the problem is, I degreased then re greased the last set of new trunnions I got as they looked as if they had come straight off a thread cutter, some black substance with a hint of swarf.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

if i change the pin position i cant even get any turn out of it in the direction that at the mo i get 11/4 turns if i screww the trunnion itself on further the pin wont go thro. i will however check the trunnion for swarf etc might do something i suppose,

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If the problem only arises when the pin is in then look through the hole where it goes and turn the trunnion until the cut out for it is central.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I suppose the cut-out may not be deep enough... good point about the swarf, although I can't see it affecting this challenge.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I understand your concern, I'd worry too but as suggested 1/4'' turn is probably ok and a good clean out may well improve things.------only 5mm shorter, wow quality must be getting better!!

surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

ok trunnion clean.. no improvement, the waisted section is central in the hole when i put the pin in , all options on set up now exhausted. the right king pin is exactly the same size as the left, the left gives me 1 whole turn in both directions when set up exactly the same way as the right which only just gives me a 1/4 turn one way and a whole turn the other. Me thinks this is an enginering fault with this king pin or trunnion , somehow so i think my only option is contacting bull mottif as they both supplied and apparently manufactured it. Will let you all know what they say. in the mean time if anyone else has come accross this and has found a solution please post. Thanx Guys

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You say they are the same size - but patently that can't be true.......... In fact I suggest the one that can do a full turn each way is TOO LOOSE.
ImageImage
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

hi again, how do you guys set up your trunnions, top and bottom onto your king pins.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There is only the one way with the lower trunnion as you can see - the top one, screw it down all the thread and then back off jst enough to make sure it can turn 1/4 turn in each direction......
ImageImage
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

I had EXACTLY the same issue with some lower trunnions I ordered a while back..

the trick i found worked really well was yes wind it to about 1-1 1/2 turns off (or as the guys say a quarter is fine)

then leave them loose but jack the whole section up by the lower arm thingamo to get it to ride height (also helps line up the top trunnion into the holes.. then with the jack still under.. tighten everything up! :)

the jack trick got me the first time now i'll always remember it!