Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
steve c
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

non bleeding

Post by steve c »

been trying to get the last bit of air out of my brakes, ( they work pretty well and pull you up in a nice straight line,) but i still wanted the pedel to be a bit firmer, both rears and front left bleed up well, but when i opened the nipple on the front right, nothing will come out at all, i changed the nipple in case it had become blocked, but still nothing, at this point i found that the forward adjuster was very slack, ( as if it had been released ) i have adjusted it up again, and with normal presure on the pedel can lock the wheel up, so it least one of the cylinders must be working, didnt have time to investigate any further as had to get off to work, any ideas or pointers please, before i can look again in a few days time. regards steve

kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: non bleeding

Post by kennatt »

if you have changed the nipple then obviously the actual cylinder has a blockage,should be able to clear it just by pushing hard on the b rake with the nipple screwed out(Open) Or if still no joy then nipple off and put some penetrating fluid into the hole.shouldn't be much of a problem
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO!!! Don't put penetrating oil in the brake cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!! If oil won't come out the bleed hole - it's going to need investigation. So strip down and perhaps fit a new seal while in there - or just swap in a new cylinder.
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

The problem may not be the wheel cylinder, it may be the flex hose is the culprit. Once in a while the odd one will colapse somewhere along it's length and cause a complete blockage, not very common, but it does happen. I would check that first, before replacing the cylinder(s).
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

He reports it locks the wheel - so pressure must be reaching at least one of the cylinders....... Could be the little transfer pipe running between the cylinders - flattened out/pinched shut.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

it can't get into the cylinder cos there something stopping the fluid coming out,and if it did free the blockage as soon as it did there would be more pressure inside the system than outside of the cylinder therefore the brake fliud would run out taking the oil with with it so can't see a problem,can't get to the rubber seal cos the c ylinder will be full of fluid and slightly pressurised hence the advice re gravity bleeding and the amount you could get in there would be insignificant.better than all the work of stripping the cylinder, I am aware that penetrating oil can damage rubber but honestly can't see how it can get to the seals,not taking about pumping pints into it just a bit in the bleed hole.and thinking about it don't think its a problem with the cylinder,even if the hole is blocked,sufficient pressure on the brake is bound to blow it out with the nipple removed,more likely that the nipple is not being opened enough to bleed it.
tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

Hi If the cylinder is blocked or bunged up Don"t mess around for the sake of £15 Approx Fit new cylinder
Tomas

robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Yup, these are brakes, after all. A moggie that won't start is unlikely to kill anybody, but one that won't stop just might. It takes all of 15 minutes to pull the wheel, the drum, she shoes and the cylinders. It will take another 5 minutes to figure out what's wrong. I'm no enemy of quick fixes, but not with brakes.
1967 2 door coupe, "Mildred"
Transportation with economy, whimsy and heart.
steve c
Minor Friendly

Post by steve c »

checked out the front right brake this evening, ( i had got a new cylinder and link pipe just in case) however i opened the bleed valve and pumped the brake, to start with nothing came out and the pedel was quite firm ( as if bleed valve was closed) then after about ten or so pumps of the brake pedel fluid started to come out and the pedel went spongy as you would expect it to be during bleeding, i have checked out everything, pumped a lot of fluid through the brake, all seems ok, i then bleed the brakes as normal, and have a fairly good pedel, ( about 3cm of movement then good presure) and they pull up good and straight, so i will leave it at that and see how they perform over the next few days.. regards steve

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done - still quite a lot of free travel there though..........
ImageImage
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

tomas.geoghegan wrote:for the sake of £15 Approx Fit new cylinder
Tomas
15£! I get mine for just over 8 from my local motor shop :D