Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dalgrae
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Exhaust mounting

Post by dalgrae »

I have justfitted my new 2 piece mild steel exhaust to my saloon , I used the existing canvas type hanger at the rear of the car and a new rubber strip type and clamp at the existing location just in front of the rear axle on the pipe joint . I have approx 1/2 " clearnce on the front crossmember and after a 6 mile drive no apparent problems were evident .I have read other posts on this forum about an extra front clamp ,so I have temporarilly installed a canvas type hanger and clamp to the pipe just behind the silencer using a seat rail locaton hole to secure it to the car . It got rid of practically all the up and down movement but still retains some front to back movement ,I thought that this clamp would support the weight of the silencer and also help maintain the exhaust manifold to pipe joint .My only concern is will it all be to stiff and could possibly cause any cracking issues with the exhaust later on , when I start the car and blip the throttle several times there is hardly any movement at all with the engine so I do not foresee any problems

Any advice most welcome
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Exhaust mounting

Post by Declan_Burns »

This is what the bracket looks like.
Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

Thanks I have seen your photo before my solution was to mount my bracket under the floor as I have described in my first posting
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

How about a picture of your new hanger?
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Making the exhaust too 'solid' to the floor spells trouble for the manifold joint as it tries to be an additional engine steady. Declan's bracket clamps the exhaust pipe to the engine - so the manifold joint is supported.
ImageImage
dalgrae
Minor Fan

Post by dalgrae »

I did wonder that my logic was the silencer was the heavy part and as it was an original canvas type hanger which would allow movement I thought it might be OK but I can see your point thats why I posted the question on the site
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I have been wondering about fitting an extra support to the front of the exhaust to help solve the perennial problem of a blowing joint. I can see Declan’s solution is very sturdy and will bring a number of benefits. Good idea.
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello all,
I did something similar to mine too although not quite a s Declan's version. It keeps the front of the exhaust "in time" with any engine movement and leaves the rest of the exhaust to sort itself out which it can easily do on the rear hanger strap. This way, there's no relative movement induced on that pesky manifold joint.
Cheers, Colin.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That’s good, do you have any further details and pictures of your setup?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I had periodically recurring problems with the exhaust blowing at the manifold and solved it by smearing a little exhaust paste around the pipe flange before jacking the pipe into position, and then wrapping some metal exhaust tape around the joint before fitting the clamp and using the cast-iron type (https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... th-p830073) which is a better design than the traditional one.
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello Jowett,

Sorry for the delay and also apologies for the poor sketches I've attached. Unfortunately I don't have any photos as I now use a long centre branch manifold and larger bore exhaust. The extra bracket worked fine though until the exhaust needed replacing.

It wasn't anything very glamorous or even adjustable but I used a handy length of mild steel bar (probably 3mm x 20mm of a suitable length) with an exhaust clamp on the end. I picked one of the bolts that hold the engine and gearbox together as my anchor point position, drilled a clearance hole about 15mm from the end and then bent the end of the bracket so it was at 90 degrees to the exhaust pipe. Then it was back in the vice and twisted so the new bracket was "flat" against the exhaust. Once happy with the alignment, I lightly bolted it in position so I could slide the U bolt clamp between it and the exhaust pipe and mark where the U bolt holes needed to be. As I said, it was mostly brute force and ignorance and "bend a bit here" and "twist a bit there" but it did the job for many years. With a lick of paint, it nearly looked professional. :D

Hope this helps.

Regards, Colin.
Attachments
Capture1a.PNG
Capture1a.PNG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Capture2 (2).PNG
Capture2 (2).PNG (77.7 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
z.jpg
z.jpg (4.76 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Thanks Colin, I will knock something together in the garage when the time comes. Good to know it worked for as long as you kept it.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I had the same problem when I fitted a stainless steel exhaust sometime in the 1980s. My solution was to lay a bead of weld on the exhaust side of the clamp. This pinched the pipe a little more and closed any gap between the exhaust and the cast iron manifold. Never had a blowing joint since. I also welded the washers and bolts to make it easier to assemble. The area in red is where i applied the weld.
mmclamp.jpg
mmclamp.jpg (94.6 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.