LCB Exhaust tight up against cross member.

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gammy126
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

LCB Exhaust tight up against cross member.

Post by gammy126 »

Hi all, I have recently fitted a LCB exhaust that i got from Birmingham. The problem is it doesnt seem to have the right angle on the end that fits the middle section as the exhaust is tight up against the cross member. It vibrates like hell and I need some advice before I start trying to bend anything as its S/Steel and cost £145 so dont want to damage it. As the system needs 2 straps i assumed that it would hang free and would run and look parallel to the underside of the car. Iv read other posts saying use a broom handle to bend it, but as i said i dont want to damage anything and you would expect it to fit for that kind of money with the appropriate clearances. Or Is this a common fault with LCB's.
Iv attached pics to show what i mean.

All help and advice welcome as always.

Many thanks
Alan[frame]Image[/frame]
gammy126
Minor Fan

Re: LCB Exhaust tight up against cross member.

Post by gammy126 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Curious. First port of call should be to contact the place you bought it from. If you try bending it (which doesn't sound like a very good idea due to the risk of fracture) the warranty will most likely be void.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

Thats what I thought. Iv sent an email to Birmingham Morris Center with pics. Im sure its not right though.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I have the same system on my minor, and it clears just fine. It's been on for 2 years though, so going to be from a different batch though.

I don't suppose there could be anything meaning your engine is higher than normal? Could be plates under the engine mount 'turrets' raising the engine up (you never know...). Or the engine steady is really tight pulling the top of the engine towards the drivers side (causing the exhaust to lift)? Just a thought. I'd imagine the exhausts are made on a jig to get them in the right position. It could be a one off dodgy one, or it could be a bad batch. So you may want to call the supplier and ask if they've had any other people with problems. Or suggest they check their stock?

If you just ring up without checking the mounts and steady bar, they're likely to tell you to check them first anyway. Could save yourself an extra phonecall by looking at that first?
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

Engine mounts look fine. The old full length moggie exhaust had Inches to spare underneath. Its as if the bend isnt low enough ( pointing upwards in stead of towards the floor or at least level. It must have to be lower as they say that you need a strap to hold the front up.

Cheers
Alan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have to say - your silencer looks very close to the ground - can't see it lasting long like that! Has the car been lowered - or has the suspension collapsed?? But as suggested - ask the supplier to put it right - don't start bending it yourself......
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have a similar problem with my LCB system, the rear section joins the centre section on the slope up over the axle and in order to line the system up I have had to twist the silencer so that there is very little clearance under the cross member. Logically the join should be on the straight section behind the front silencer.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

Do you have a 1275 engine? They are taller than the 1098.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have a 1275 Midget engine but the problem is the position of the joins. I am considering cutting the pipe, re aligning it and re welding it
[sig]3580[/sig]
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

No a standard 1098 engine . Ill wait til M M Birmingham have been in touch before i have a fiddle.
Many thanks for your comments.

Alan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

An LCB on a standard 1098 engine will probably LOSE power - not gain it....... :(
ImageImage
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

bmcecosse wrote:An LCB on a standard 1098 engine will probably LOSE power - not gain it....... :(
Surely most lcb's will be fitted along with a hs4 or hif38 though.. Do YOU still believe this set up will loose you 'power'? And obviously the torque vs top end discussion..
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We only know it's a 'standard' engine. Sure - with better head and larger carb - it's a good idea.
ImageImage
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

Birmingham Morris have been in touch , they say that they haven't had any other complaints about this batch and suggest that my engine is tilting forward a few degrees to much and this will lift the exhaust up. I can see there logic in this but how can an engine tilt forward ??? surly it has to be in line with everything else for the clutch and gearbox to work ???
So my options are
1 send it back for them to check it out and either send it back or replace ( me paying out for courier to send back)
2 Try and tilt my engine back a good 1" + to to lower the exhaust .
3 Try and find a good garage who will bend the exhaust to suit . ( again at a cost to me ).

As always suggestions welcome.

PS The Lcb is to complement the Metro manifold and the HIF 38 carb.

Many thanks
Alan

PPs I live in Widnes Cheshire so if anyone knows of a good cheap garage that could help Id even give that a try as i dont have a vice or work bench and only have a blow torch to heat any thing up.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Tilted engine ??? Aye right...........where DO they get them......??? :roll: Looks like home-mods will be required then. You really need a much better head before the LCB is worth having...
ImageImage
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

Saving up for a 12G940 head . Very disappointed with Birmingham Morris , wont be using them again, I have to find some one to alter the LCB at a further cost to me. :cry: . As iv said you would expect an exhaust costing £145 would have enough clearance calculated in its manufacture to allow for discrepancies.
Thank you for all your comments.

Alan
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I imagine your original exhaust hung well? And you haven't moved the engine since taking the old exhaust off and fitting this one?

You do get a bit more lee-way with the original exhaust, obviously, the LCB is a rigid affair. But you'd still expect that if your old exhaust fitted, that means your engine is ok.

If you can live without the exhaust (and the car) for a few days, tell them you're sending the manifold back for either a refund or replacement. At least when they have yours, they have the rest of their stock to compare it to.