Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

1098 low compression Vs. high compression

Post by youngcamper »

Hi All,

I've got a little bit of a conundrum for you, basically I've been getting a little bit fed up with my low compression 1098 I currently have fitted to my 4 door saloon, it's currently running with a 12G940 head and HS2 carb. Sadly it doesn't feel quite as spritely as any of the other cars in our fleet ( all with HC 1098 engines totally standard). the engine it's self is well tuned up but a little tired and consumes a bit of oil. So I've finally plumped to rebuilt my spare HC 1098, now the question is: am I likely to expect any increase in performance by fitting a bog standard HC 1098 ? or will I need to mildly tune it ( 12G940 and HS4 ) to see any increase in performance ?

Cheers,

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: 1098 low compression Vs. high compression

Post by liammonty »

To be honest, it's impossible to say without knowing how your particular car goes. I've a LC 1098 in a 1968 2 door, and a HC 1098 in a 1968 Trav, and the Trav is a bit quicker, though to be honest, the LC car flies, and is bog standard. The engine's in good order though. My point is that a good LC engine can go quite a bit better than a tired HC. If you're rebuilding yours, I should think it will be fine kept as standard. My Trav (HC) happily pulls a 3.9:1 diff, and it' has bags of torque. I suspect if you rebuild yours well, to standard spec, it will perform really well compared to the tired modified engine you've got at the moment.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The only difference is the dished pistons
[sig]3580[/sig]
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

mike.perry wrote:The only difference is the dished pistons
Yep I know that, although it supposedly looses the engine 5bhp too...
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Thinking about it, the compression of your engine if it's got a 12G940 head fitted will be around the same as, or a little higher than a standard HC engine anyway, as the head chambers are around 5cc smaller than on the 12G202 head (which would more than compensate for the dish in the pistons). It sounds as though it's not the CR that's the issue here- just that your engine is knackered! You're right- standard HC is meant to be 48 bhp, vs 43 bhp for the LC.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The real problem is the hopeless tiny twin carbs - and the general state of the engine. Go HC with the 940 head (sink the valves slightly i you need to) and a good HS4 (or HIF38) carb on a good alloy inlet. You won't be disappointed.
ImageImage
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

bmcecosse wrote:The real problem is the hopeless tiny twin carbs - and the general state of the engine. Go HC with the 940 head (sink the valves slightly i you need to) and a good HS4 (or HIF38) carb on a good alloy inlet. You won't be disappointed.
I only have a single HS2 :wink: . Just as I thought, I'll go 12G940 and HS4 . Not to worry BMC valves are already sunk :)

Cheers,

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - sorry - thought I read carbS It's still the reason for lack of GO. That carb is very much the limiting factor for power on the 1098 engine (and twins are no better because each piston still sees only ONE small carb..). As you are doing a build - you should take the chance or a better cam - MG Metro or 256 or 266 will work well....... Just watch the total lift if you go 255/266 and check for ex valve clearance.
ImageImage
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Thanks for the advice BMC, I think I'll probably leave the camshaft stanard, as I don't want to go too far from a stock engine that I can revert to if I don't like the setup. I've got a HS4 already which is ready to go, I'll saw off the exhaust section of a stock manifold and then fit the HS4 to a separate inlet. :D
Will
ImageImageImage
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

Hi, I have a 1098 with a piper 270 cam and it runs well with the bigger HIF38 carb like BMC says. It doesn't come onto the cam until about 2750 rpm but it revs well. This type of cam runs better in the 1275 eng.
Cheers.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

270 is too much for a 1098 - simply because it must not be revved over 6000, and so loses some at low revs but can't use the high revs capability. The standard AEA 630 cam works well - and 'lugs' nicely from low revs even with the 940 head - and against the mumblings of the doomsters who witter on about 'low gas speed' etc. It works fine - but an MG Metro cam would be better I reckon - since it was specifically designed to make the most of the A series engine UP TO 6000 rpm in the Metro.
ImageImage
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

bmcecosse wrote:270 is too much for a 1098 - simply because it must not be revved over 6000, and so loses some at low revs but can't use the high revs capability. The standard AEA 630 cam works well - and 'lugs' nicely from low revs even with the 940 head - and against the mumblings of the doomsters who witter on about 'low gas speed' etc. It works fine - but an MG Metro cam would be better I reckon - since it was specifically designed to make the most of the A series engine UP TO 6000 rpm in the Metro.

ohh interesting stuff, I may have a look at that then. I'll also be reading vizards bible tonight...
Will
ImageImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Don't get carried away with HP numbers, the Americans have a saying that covers it " You buy horsepower but drive torque"
An engine with grunt is much nicer to drive than one where you have to rev the life out of it to get some oomph.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

MarkyB wrote:Don't get carried away with HP numbers, the Americans have a saying that covers it " You buy horsepower but drive torque"
An engine with grunt is much nicer to drive than one where you have to rev the life out of it to get some oomph.

exactly why i don't like the LC engine I've got, it requires a fair bit more revving that the standard HC engines in my brothers 2 door and Dads van which just seem to purr along
Will
ImageImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

smaller carbs are fine if you want it to purr and have best all round driveability - bigger carbs if you want ultimate horsepower...
IMHO, (based on experience).
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

rayofleamington wrote:smaller carbs are fine if you want it to purr and have best all round driveability - bigger carbs if you want ultimate horsepower...
IMHO, (based on experience).

Interesting, I'll take that on board, I guess there is only one way to find out which I will prefer. I can always change it back later...
Will
ImageImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The real beauty of the SU carb is that it self adjusts the choke area depending on the air flow demand from the engine.....So a larger carb works just as well at low air flows (within reason of course) - yet is able to pass large air flow when required. The rate of flow is set by the strength of the spring above the piston. The rate of change of that flow is set by the viscosity of the oil in the piston damper. This is the huge advantage the very clever SU design has over most other carb designs.
ImageImage