Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Anyone fittted an RC 40 exhaust ?

Post by youngcamper »

Hi all,

The RC40 exhaust system seems pretty popular with the mini guys, and Vizards 'Bible' holds it highly too.

So has anyone taken the plunge and fitted one to a mog ?

I understand it wouldn't be a straight swap and would require a bit of modification, but it could provide a good alternative to those who want a system with low back pressure without loads of noise...

Cheers,

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Anyone fittted an RC 40 exhaust ?

Post by philthehill »

Hi youngcamper.

I have a RC 40 silencer fitted to my minor. Comes straight off the multi-branch and has a welded on outlet pipe which exits under the passenger door. It is supported halfway along the outlet pipe by a a welded on (parallel to the floor) 1" wide flat piece of metal with two 5/16 holes drilled in it. Two Mini cotton reel rubber exhaust mountings are then bolted between it and the floor. Exhaust sounds good and is not too noisy but my only consideration was flow of exhaust gas out of the engine and to that end I did refer to Vizards flow charts before purchasing. I agree it is a very good reference book for tuning the 'A' series engine and I do have a copy on the shelf.
Legallity of exhaust exiting under the passenger door I do not know but no doubt some one will tell us. Fortunatly I do not have that worry as my minor is not used on the road.

Regards
philthehill
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Anyone fittted an RC 40 exhaust ?

Post by smithskids »

Yes, both mine have had RC40's on they last about 6 years. Lay the full system out on the garage floor, then and you will see that as the exhaust on a mini is in the centre of the car move it over to the left turn the rear silencer ove and you have to cut off the inlet to it to get it to join up and weld it to gether. you can go down to the local exhaust centre and for a couple of quid they will usually let you rummage through their scrap bin and you can get a bend that will fit over the back axle and weld that in , its quite easy after you have done a couple.Obviously you will have to make up the straps and fixings but it is worth it. Cheers.