Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dillorto
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

morris ital

Post by dillorto »

first time on the forum,just joined,can anyone advise on what parts I can use to upgrade my traveller from a morris ital 1.3,ie diff/gearbox,brakes etc,any info would be appreciated,also the best way to replace the reardoor piller on my traveller,Thanks in advance.Dillorto
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: morris ital

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the forum! Very little....... the 1275 engine, yes (with some modifications). Gearbox and back axle - only with difficulty. Horn + battery - yes...... Some do use the front brakes but it's not a straight swap - need a kit of parts/special hubs and brackets. And then modify the master cylinder - then find the brakes are far too heavy - so a servo is required, and probably a remote fluid reservoir.......... Someone who knows about the timber will be along shortly to advise on the pillar.
ImageImage
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

As above. However, there are some parts that are of value to marina and kit car enthusiasts. I scrapped one myself.

1)chrome 'beauty' rings for the wheels.
2)The dual circuit servo master cylinder
3)Gauges
4)interior if it's the 'SL'
5)viscous cooling fan
6)uprights/trunnions
7)tank (maybe)
8)steering rack
9)wiper motor (maybe)
10)fly-wheel (maybe)
Strangely, I had no takers for any of the panels, glass gear-box/prop, lights. But you may find that someone needs them.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

to use the rear axle you will need to fit a new set of axle mounts ( on the axle ) not exactly difficult..

fitting the gearbox does require a back plate swap / modifying the bell housing / changing the gearbox support again not difficult yes time consuming. You will need to add to this a custom prop shaft.. simply measure the distance between the two flanges and get one made up.

The front brakes.. take all the current things off.. slip on a spacer and some new bearings! you will then need to modify your master cylinder.. not exactly difficult.

I would recommend you get a copy of the marina to minor book from ESM which explains how to do it all in detail and you will be able to make your own mind up..

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... eaf12ebdc6
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You also need a new prop (or at least modified prop) if fitting the Marina axle, and you are then stuck with using Marina PCD wheels on the back! . For the front brakes - caliper brackets are required too. And again Marina PCD wheels. And the gearbox is really really not worth all the hassle. 'Charlie' is over simplifying considerably..........
ImageImage
dillorto
Minor Friendly

Post by dillorto »

Thanks you guys,very helpful,i think I will keep original axel and fit a 3.9 diff,keep original brakes and fit a servo,then I can keep the original g/box,hoping all this will make her more drivable and keep her nearly original at the same time,only the engine will be different,the rest of the Ital can go the the Scrapyard in the sky.lol.once agin THANKS
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

bmcecosse wrote:You also need a new prop (or at least modified prop) if fitting the Marina axle, and you are then stuck with using Marina PCD wheels on the back! . For the front brakes - caliper brackets are required too. And again Marina PCD wheels. And the gearbox is really really not worth all the hassle. 'Charlie' is over simplifying considerably..........
sorry forgot about the prop.. which is why i recommended getting the book as it will cover everything.

you can get the rear hubs modified to the minor stud pattern, you will also need to modify the drums to fit over the new stud pattern.. or go with the front brakes and hubs and you will have the same stud pattern front and rear and then you will be able to fit mgf alloys.. if you like them. For the caliper brackets you simply re-use the ital ones.

take the front calipers / hubs / brackets / back plates off the ital before sending it to the scrap yard, there is a ready market for these parts as the modification is straight forward.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

You should offer the remains of the car to Ital enthusiasts as the parts are hard to find now esp. trim and body panels.
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Also worth keeping or selling on, are the Torsion bars. The Ital ones are thicker than the original Marina ones AND if you can make or find the brackets, a useful upgrade for a Minor.
dillorto
Minor Friendly

Post by dillorto »

your right no point in scrapping if someone can use the bits,i only bought it for the engine so any other bits will be cheap to anyone who wants them,i will conact the marina/ital. club as well,Cheers
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes indeed - I had forgotten about the torsion bars - certainly take them off and keep to one side.
ImageImage
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

Scrap the engine too , there rubbish , I'll take it away for you , as a favour :wink:
speed not tweed
dillorto
Minor Friendly

Post by dillorto »

Can you suggest an alternative to the ital. engine + I thought the a series engines were quite reliable
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

I was joking , I wan't a spare engine , coz I'm probably going to blow mine to pieces .
speed not tweed
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

I might be into those bars . Where are you based
speed not tweed
dillorto
Minor Friendly

Post by dillorto »

im up in Montrose Scotland bvut they would be easy enough to courier......