Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
julie4morris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

power boost with choke

Post by julie4morris »

I have recently fitted a pancake air filter my Morris Traveller and I've found that if I pull the choke out I seem to gain an extra 10 also MPH. The engine and carburettor are all original and I was just wondering with the addition of the new filter would I need to change the needle/ with changing the needle increase power output. I have looked in the Haynes " tuning that a-series engine" manual and it advises using a H6 needle for a rich mixture in a 1098 engine.

What would anyone recommend and where is the best place to buy from?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: power boost with choke

Post by bmcecosse »

Pancake air filters are not the best....... The flat face is too close to the carb inlet. You can try a richer needle - but all it's going to do is use more fuel....... :cry:
ImageImage
julie4morris
Minor Friendly

Post by julie4morris »

mmmm I thought that might be the case but would you say they are an improvement on the original air filter in terms of air flow?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very marginal - the carb is the main restriction to air flow on a standard engine. The way forward is with a larger 1.5" carb on a good alloy inlet manifold (thus eliminating the power zapping hot spot) and then a good (NOT pancake!) air filter will pay dividends. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI- ... 3a7ee63944
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I put a pancake on and took it off pretty sharpish,engine wasn't as smooth and mpg went up.looked nice tho :roll:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Bought and fitted one of these, along with a K&N.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-AIR-FILTE ... 35bf4c2b1b
A bit pricey, but you get 2. Comes as standard with a spacer block/back plate, supposedly for better flow. And it is a bit quieter than a standard K&N and type, unless you prefer 'roarty'.
julie4morris
Minor Friendly

Post by julie4morris »

OK then thank you all very much for your advice, I think I will leave the carb and inlet manifold mods till I replace then engine with a 1275 one. Also just out of interest what is the "power zapping hot spot" that bmcecosse talks of? Sorry if it sounds like a bit of a dumb question
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

On the cast iron one-piece manifold - the exhaust heat from cylinders 2 and 3 comes through into the inlet manifold at the join - causing a hot spot which heats the ingoing air/petrol charge. This costs a good 3 or 4 bhp - and is often the only gain from fitting 'twin carbs' which don't have any inlet charge heating - and so are perceived to give more power!
ImageImage
julie4morris
Minor Friendly

Post by julie4morris »

oh I see thought it might be something to do with that but was not to sure so thank you :D. I have also heard that you are better off having one big carb than twin carbs, is this so?
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Yep.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

lambrettalad wrote:I put a pancake on and took it off pretty sharpish,engine wasn't as smooth and mpg went up.looked nice tho :roll:
Two pancakes look even nicer :)[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Certainly a single 1.5" carb on a GOOD inlet manifold - is better than twin 1.25" carbs on the hopeless BMC inlet manifold..... Each piston breathes independently - and only sees ONE carb on each breath - so it sees either a 1.25" carb (with the twins) or a 1.5" carb with the larger single. The twins are 'better' than the standard single only because they don't have a hot spot - the cross tube on the manifold doesn't feed ANY flow across from the other carb - it actually disrupts the flow from the carb directly in line with the port. A good single carb manifold has no hot spot (and don't connect the water heating either...) and although the flow has to come down an S bend from the carb to the port - it's still better than the flow from the smaller twin.
ImageImage
julie4morris
Minor Friendly

Post by julie4morris »

haha yes 2 do look good :D ok then sounds like a good plan, I was also working on the basis that it would be less hassle and cheaper fitting one 1.5" carb that having to mess about with twins, with all the balancing and what have you. I have also done some reading up in inlet manifolds and found that the longer straighter ones (such as Janspeed produced) to be more efficient.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think generally the 'Howley' manifold is considered 'best' - but honestly unless looking for the very last 0.1 bhp - I doubt there is much to choose between them.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have extension pieces on my inlet manifold to clear the exhaust pipes
[sig]3580[/sig]