Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morriusa
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller brakes

Post by morriusa »

Hello all, I have 1971 Morris Minor traveller. When I take it out for a cruse the brakes will be normal but when I get back from a day of running errands the brakes will get tighter and tighter then eventually getting locked up. But when I go to check and see if the brakes are stuck the next day they are fine. I have been told it is an master cylinder problem but I'm not sure what the problem is anyone have any ideas?????

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Traveller brakes

Post by bmcecosse »

Assuming the standard drum brakes - then yes, the master cylinder push-rod may be adjusted up slightly too tight. There needs to be a little 'free play' before it operates the master cylinder. Has any work been done on the brakes recently?
ImageImage
morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

No the brakes have not had any work lately. And how do you adjust the master cylinder push rod?

The Morris has the stock drum brakes

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmmm - and this was ok before, but is giving trouble now? Is it possible the pedal shaft is sticking - when you move it - does the clutch pedal tend to move too - and vice versa - does pressing the clutch tend to move the brake pedal? Maybe just the return spring has broken off - take the little cover plate off around the master cylinder and look inside the chassis leg - you should see the push rod and the return spring.
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Do you have a remote servo fitted? These can give similar symptoms.

morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

bmcecosse wrote:Hmmm - and this was ok before, but is giving trouble now? Is it possible the pedal shaft is sticking - when you move it - does the clutch pedal tend to move too - and vice versa - does pressing the clutch tend to move the brake pedal? Maybe just the return spring has broken off - take the little cover plate off around the master cylinder and look inside the chassis leg - you should see the push rod and the return spring.
When I push the clutch in to snift when the brakes are sticking the brake pedal will move but only a tiny bit. Where is the chassis leg?

morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

beero wrote:Do you have a remote servo fitted? These can give similar symptoms.
No, and I don't even know what that is

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

We'll do our best to help you, but I must issue a word of caution: You seem to have very little mechanical knowledge. Bakes are a safety critical system, and if you have any doubt, then you should seek assistance from a competent person.

That said, we all started with very little knowledge, and learnt as we went. I suggest that you get hold of a workshop manual and a parts list to aid with identifying parts, and then we can talk you through the things to check.

Can you just clarify that the car has drum brakes and has not been modified with discs? How long have you owned it, what do you know of the history of the car? When was the last MOT, and were there any advisories? When properly maintained, Minors are fun and safe, so stick with it.
morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

The car is all original but some things with the motor. The brakes have only been checked to make sure they are proper and in full working order in which they are not now. I have owned the car for 3 years but just got running this year due to a carb leak. I do not know much about the car far a history goes but I do know it was imported to the USA but I do not know when. I live in the US so we do not have MOT but we do have some thing called E-Check where it checks the car and makes sure it is up to code with all nescisarry items such as emissions and MPG. I do a routine device every spring (oil,tire pressure, brakes, and mechanics)

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Is that signature picture of your Traveller? It appears to have Marina front wheels fitted which would suggest non-standard brakes.
morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

chesney wrote:Is that signature picture of your Traveller? It appears to have Marina front wheels fitted which would suggest non-standard brakes.
Will haveing non-standard brakes affect the way they work?

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Having Marina wheels is usually a sign that the PCD is Marina, generally down to the fact that Marina disk brakes have been used, are the front brakes disks or drums? It could be that the top hat seal has been left in the master cylinder, although this wouldn't manifest itself after being laid up.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

We're going down the same lines of enquiry 8) I once had a Traveller with Marina discs where the problem did not manifest itself for a couple of years, but as soon as it did I looked and found the top hat there. It would be the obvious answer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I was assured it had standard brakes - but well spotted on the Marina wheels! So as the lads have mentioned - with disc brakes it is very important to remove a seal from the master cylinder - or the brakes stick on - exactly as is happening on your car. So - please have a look - take a front wheel off and post a picture of what's in there....
ImageImage
morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

[frame]Image[/frame]

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Yup, defo Marina setup there. As a test, when you next drive it, immediately afterwards touch the hub cap around all the wheels, if the fronts are both 'equally' warm (in comparison to the rears) you can assume it's your seal.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very well rubbed discs there! I'm afraid that is the problem then. You need to take the master cylinder out, strip it and remove the little 'top hat' seal, and refit it. It's not a job I would ever contemplate.......but it is very necessary when fitting disc brakes. You are likely to have a servo with these brakes - some pictures under the bonnet (hood) would be useful!
ImageImage
morriusa
Minor Friendly

Post by morriusa »

chesney wrote:Yup, defo Marina setup there. As a test, when you next drive it, immediately afterwards touch the hub cap around all the wheels, if the fronts are both 'equally' warm (in comparison to the rears) you can assume it's your seal.
The front brakes were warm after a hour drive but the rear were the temp as the outside was.

So what should I tell the machanic when I take it to get service?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm not sure the 'mechanic' will be willing to get into this. Liabilty laws etc etc - it 's really a DIY job. Not sure if you can buy a cylinder already converted - I'm sure someone will know. You would be better to 'service' the car yourself too - 'mechanics' will not be at all familiar with an old car like this - unless you have an MG place near you??
ImageImage
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Removing the top hat seal is not a difficult job, surely not for someone as experienced and mechanically able as you Bmc.... I have done it, its not hard! Also JLH minors sell already modified new ones. Also that may not necessarily be the issue, could be the servo.
___Anne___